[VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

12

[VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Benjamin Bentmann
Hi,

We solved 39 issues:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089

There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/

Staged source and binary distros:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/

Guide to testing staged releases:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Vote open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1
[ ] +0
[ ] -1

+1 from me

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Jason van Zyl-2
+1

Weeeeee!

On Apr 19, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We solved 39 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me
>

> Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

stephenconnolly
+1

On 19 April 2010 19:12, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Weeeeee!
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We solved 39 issues:
> >
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089
> >
> > There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> >
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
> >
> > Staging repo:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/
> >
> > Staged source and binary distros:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/
> >
> > Guide to testing staged releases:
> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
> >
> > Vote open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1
> > [ ] +0
> > [ ] -1
> >
> > +1 from me
> >

> > Benjamin

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

jochen-2
Just a question, without voicing an opinion: I notice the "beta". What
is the meaning? Are there any plans of a schedule towards a 3.0 final?

Thanks,

Jochen

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Tamás Cservenák
+1

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Benjamin Bentmann <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We solved 39 issues:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me
>

> Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Shane Isbell
+1

Glad to see a movement to beta

Shane

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Kristian Rosenvold-4
+1

ma., 19.04.2010 kl. 19.50 +0200, skrev Benjamin Bentmann:

> Hi,
>
> We solved 39 issues:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089
>
> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>
> Staging repo:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/
>
> Staged source and binary distros:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1
>
> +1 from me
>

> Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Arnaud Héritier
+1
Thus we start only bug fixes releases ?
Guice won't be included in 3.0 ?

Arnaud Héritier
Software Factory Manager
eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
---
http://www.aheritier.net

On Apr 19, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Just a question, without voicing an opinion: I notice the "beta". What
> is the meaning? Are there any plans of a schedule towards a 3.0 final?

When there's a long enough period where users don't report any serious issues it will be 3.0. No idea how long that will take, but my guestimate is 4-8 weeks.

> Thanks,
>
> Jochen
>

> --
> Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Jason van Zyl-2
If Stuart finishes the work it will go in.

I have 100% confidence in the ITs and that we'll find anything before users do as a result of switching the container. We have had very few problems with flipping Nexus from Plexus to Guice and Stuart was able to fix those very quickly. Stuart is likely to have the Guice work done in a week or too and then we'll roll another beta but in the meantime people will be able to try all the new functionality which I think is more important then waiting a week or two to get Guice in. The beta cycle is going to be 4-8 weeks so Guice will get exercised. Benjamin and Stuart on point to fix anything necessary until the 3.0 so we're fine.

On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:25 PM, Arnaud Héritier wrote:

> +1
> Thus we start only bug fixes releases ?
> Guice won't be included in 3.0 ?
>
> Arnaud Héritier
> Software Factory Manager
> eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
> ---
> http://www.aheritier.net
>

> 2010/4/19 Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]>
>
>> +1
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Benjamin Bentmann <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We solved 39 issues:
>>>

>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089
>>>
>>> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>>>

>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>>>
>>> Staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/
>>>
>>> Staged source and binary distros:
>>>

>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/
>>>
>>> Guide to testing staged releases:
>>> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>>>
>>> Vote open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1
>>> [ ] +0
>>> [ ] -1
>>>
>>> +1 from me
>>>

>>> Benjamin

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>
>> Just a question, without voicing an opinion: I notice the "beta". What
>> is the meaning? Are there any plans of a schedule towards a 3.0 final?
>>

> When there's a long enough period where users don't report any serious issues it will be 3.0. No idea how long that will take, but my guestimate is 4-8 weeks.

That would be really quick!

Jochen

On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:41 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>>
>>> Just a question, without voicing an opinion: I notice the "beta". What
>>> is the meaning? Are there any plans of a schedule towards a 3.0 final?
>>>

>> When there's a long enough period where users don't report any serious issues it will be 3.0. No idea how long that will take, but my guestimate is 4-8 weeks.
>
> That would be really quick!

We have a seriously powerful set of ITs. We tried to do the work upfront to circumvent the community doing the QA. Well, Benjamin did all the work :-) We have great ITs.

We might find some niggles, but I don't think we're going to find anything serious and problems will be few and far between at this point.

> Jochen
>

> --
> Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

brettporter
Administrator

On 20/04/2010, at 8:48 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:41 PM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

>>> When there's a long enough period where users don't report any serious issues it will be 3.0. No idea how long that will take, but my guestimate is 4-8 weeks.
>>
>> That would be really quick!
>>

> We have a seriously powerful set of ITs. We tried to do the work upfront to circumvent the community doing the QA. Well, Benjamin did all the work :-) We have great ITs.
>
> We might find some niggles, but I don't think we're going to find anything serious and problems will be few and far between at this point.

We should also finish the work started in January to clean up the JIRA issues list. It really won't take that long and it'll make it much easier to be responsive to new issues going forward.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
[hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Brian Fox-2
+1 works ok here.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On 19 April 2010 19:12, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Weeeeee!
>>
>> On Apr 19, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We solved 39 issues:
>> >
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089
>> >
>> > There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>> >
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1
>> >
>> > Staging repo:
>> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/
>> >
>> > Staged source and binary distros:
>> >
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/
>> >
>> > Guide to testing staged releases:
>> > http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>> >
>> > Vote open for 72 hours.
>> >
>> > [ ] +1
>> > [ ] +0
>> > [ ] -1
>> >
>> > +1 from me
>> >

>> > Benjamin

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Arnaud Héritier-2
Ok thx.
I agree that we have a good tests coverage to be quiet to switch.
Is there something which could be integrated before 3.0 final ? I
remember I saw a twit from you several weeks ago about replacing the
dl/ul layer to use a non-jetty stuff.

Arnaud

On Tuesday, April 20, 2010, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If Stuart finishes the work it will go in.
>
> I have 100% confidence in the ITs and that we'll find anything before users do as a result of switching the container. We have had very few problems with flipping Nexus from Plexus to Guice and Stuart was able to fix those very quickly. Stuart is likely to have the Guice work done in a week or too and then we'll roll another beta but in the meantime people will be able to try all the new functionality which I think is more important then waiting a week or two to get Guice in. The beta cycle is going to be 4-8 weeks so Guice will get exercised. Benjamin and Stuart on point to fix anything necessary until the 3.0 so we're fine.
>
> On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:25 PM, Arnaud Héritier wrote:
>
>> +1
>> Thus we start only bug fixes releases ?
>> Guice won't be included in 3.0 ?
>>
>> Arnaud Héritier
>> Software Factory Manager
>> eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
>> ---
>> http://www.aheritier.net
>>

>> 2010/4/19 Tamás Cservenák <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> +1

>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10500&version=16089

>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&status=1

>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-042/org/apache/maven/apache-maven/3.0-beta-1/

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Arnaud Héritier
Software Factory Manager
eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
---
http://www.aheritier.net

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

Hervé BOUTEMY
what about releasing maven-site-plugin 3.0-beta-1?
Olivier, is there something critical missing?
Last time I tested a SNAPSHOT, we fixed some issues then it seemed quite good
to me.

Le mardi 20 avril 2010, Arnaud Héritier a écrit :

> Ok thx.
> I agree that we have a good tests coverage to be quiet to switch.
> Is there something which could be integrated before 3.0 final ? I
> remember I saw a twit from you several weeks ago about replacing the
> dl/ul layer to use a non-jetty stuff.
>
> Arnaud
>
> On Tuesday, April 20, 2010, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If Stuart finishes the work it will go in.
> >
> > I have 100% confidence in the ITs and that we'll find anything before
> > users do as a result of switching the container. We have had very few
> > problems with flipping Nexus from Plexus to Guice and Stuart was able to
> > fix those very quickly. Stuart is likely to have the Guice work done in a
> > week or too and then we'll roll another beta but in the meantime people
> > will be able to try all the new functionality which I think is more
> > important then waiting a week or two to get Guice in. The beta cycle is
> > going to be 4-8 weeks so Guice will get exercised. Benjamin and Stuart on
> > point to fix anything necessary until the 3.0 so we're fine.
> >
> > On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:25 PM, Arnaud Héritier wrote:
> >> +1
> >> Thus we start only bug fixes releases ?
> >> Guice won't be included in 3.0 ?
> >>
> >> Arnaud Héritier
> >> Software Factory Manager
> >> eXo platform - http://www.exoplatform.com
> >> ---
> >> http://www.aheritier.net

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jason

> > Jason van Zyl
> > Founder,  Apache Maven
> > http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

olamy
Hi,

2010/4/20 Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>:
> what about releasing maven-site-plugin 3.0-beta-1?

Yup I can do that and start releasing all needed stuff.

> Olivier, is there something critical missing?

No except some spare time :-)

> Last time I tested a SNAPSHOT, we fixed some issues then it seemed quite good
> to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mardi 20 avril 2010, Arnaud Héritier a écrit :
>> Ok thx.
>> I agree that we have a good tests coverage to be quiet to switch.
>> Is there something which could be integrated before 3.0 final ? I
>> remember I saw a twit from you several weeks ago about replacing the
>> dl/ul layer to use a non-jetty stuff.
>>
>> Arnaud
>>
>> On Tuesday, April 20, 2010, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > If Stuart finishes the work it will go in.
>> >
>> > I have 100% confidence in the ITs and that we'll find anything before
>> > users do as a result of switching the container. We have had very few
>> > problems with flipping Nexus from Plexus to Guice and Stuart was able to
>> > fix those very quickly. Stuart is likely to have the Guice work done in a
>> > week or too and then we'll roll another beta but in the meantime people
>> > will be able to try all the new functionality which I think is more
>> > important then waiting a week or two to get Guice in. The beta cycle is
>> > going to be 4-8 weeks so Guice will get exercised. Benjamin and Stuart on
>> > point to fix anything necessary until the 3.0 so we're fine.

>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Jason

>> > Jason van Zyl
>> > Founder,  Apache Maven
>> > http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Olivier
http://twitter.com/olamy
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/olamy
http://www.viadeo.com/fr/profile/olivier.lamy7

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

jochen-2
Definitely not a killer, but perhaps something to know: I just tried 3
the release build on one of my projects and got the following error
message:

    [ERROR]   The project
com.tsystems.icto.tom:tom-icto-dependencies:0.2.22-SNAPSHOT
        (C:\workspace\tom-icto-parent\tom-icto-dependencies\pom.xml) has 1 error
    [ERROR]
'build.plugins.plugin[org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin].dependencies.dependency.scope'
        for com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-xjc:jar must be one of [compile,
runtime, system] but is 'provided'.

The message is right of course, but the scope "provided" has been
choosen deliberately.

Is this an error on my side, a regression (in which case I'd file a
bug report), or what else?

Thanks,

Jochen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

stephenconnolly
provided does not make sense for a dependency of a plugin. for a dependency
of a project, yes, but of a plugin, no.  so I would think it is an error on
your side

On 20 April 2010 08:11, Jochen Wiedmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Definitely not a killer, but perhaps something to know: I just tried 3
> the release build on one of my projects and got the following error
> message:
>
>    [ERROR]   The project
> com.tsystems.icto.tom:tom-icto-dependencies:0.2.22-SNAPSHOT
>        (C:\workspace\tom-icto-parent\tom-icto-dependencies\pom.xml) has 1
> error
>    [ERROR]
>
> 'build.plugins.plugin[org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin].dependencies.dependency.scope'
>        for com.sun.xml.bind:jaxb-xjc:jar must be one of [compile,
> runtime, system] but is 'provided'.
>
> The message is right of course, but the scope "provided" has been
> choosen deliberately.
>
> Is this an error on my side, a regression (in which case I'd file a
> bug report), or what else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jochen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven 3.0-beta-1

jochen-2
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> provided does not make sense for a dependency of a plugin. for a dependency
> of a project, yes, but of a plugin, no.  so I would think it is an error on
> your side

You are right. After changing that the build went on flawlessly.

+1 (Non-binding)