[VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

[VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

Benjamin Bentmann
Hi,

Christian Schulte contributed the maven-jarsigner-plugin which is meant
as a replacement for the jar:sign and jar:sign-verify goals.

The primary motivation was to deal with JAR signing in a single plugin
instead of in each and every packaging plugin. Please see MJAVADOC-228
for some more background.

A snapshot of the plugin is deployed
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-jarsigner-plugin/

The current site is up at
http://people.apache.org/~bentmann/maven/maven-jarsigner-plugin/

Once the promotion is successful, I would like to look into releasing
version 1.0 of the plugin.

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

Shane Isbell
Does this plugin take care of the problem of not being able to sign a jar
artifact which has a non-jar packaging type? I ran into this issue recently.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane Isbell wrote:

> Does this plugin take care of the problem of not being able to sign a jar
> artifact which has a non-jar packaging type? I ran into this issue recently.

The code currently looks for artifacts whose artifact handler has
language=java. This matches the behavior of the current jar:sign goal.

Probably more robust would be to peek at the file with say
java.util.jar.JarFile and see whether this succeeds and there's a
MANIFEST in there.

Among the issues currently filled for the maven-jar-plugin, I couldn't
spot the problem you described. So consider to create a JIRA so we don't
loose this.

Benjamin

Re: [VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

Dennis Lundberg-2
+1 for promotion

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Christian Schulte contributed the maven-jarsigner-plugin which is meant
> as a replacement for the jar:sign and jar:sign-verify goals.
>
> The primary motivation was to deal with JAR signing in a single plugin
> instead of in each and every packaging plugin. Please see MJAVADOC-228
> for some more background.
>
> A snapshot of the plugin is deployed
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-jarsigner-plugin/
>

> The current site is up at
> http://people.apache.org/~bentmann/maven/maven-jarsigner-plugin/
>
> Once the promotion is successful, I would like to look into releasing
> version 1.0 of the plugin.
>

> Benjamin

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

Arnaud Héritier
+1
Cheers,

Arnaud

# Arnaud Héritier
# Software Factory Manager
# eXo Platform
# http://www.exoplatform.com
# http://blog.aheritier.net

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Dennis Lundberg <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1 for promotion
>
> Benjamin Bentmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Christian Schulte contributed the maven-jarsigner-plugin which is meant
> > as a replacement for the jar:sign and jar:sign-verify goals.
> >
> > The primary motivation was to deal with JAR signing in a single plugin
> > instead of in each and every packaging plugin. Please see MJAVADOC-228
> > for some more background.
> >
> > A snapshot of the plugin is deployed
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-jarsigner-plugin/
> >

> > The current site is up at
> > http://people.apache.org/~bentmann/maven/maven-jarsigner-plugin/
> >
> > Once the promotion is successful, I would like to look into releasing
> > version 1.0 of the plugin.
> >

> > Benjamin

> Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

jdcasey
+1

Benjamin Bentmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Christian Schulte contributed the maven-jarsigner-plugin which is meant
> as a replacement for the jar:sign and jar:sign-verify goals.
>
> The primary motivation was to deal with JAR signing in a single plugin
> instead of in each and every packaging plugin. Please see MJAVADOC-228
> for some more background.
>
> A snapshot of the plugin is deployed
> https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-jarsigner-plugin/
>

> The current site is up at
> http://people.apache.org/~bentmann/maven/maven-jarsigner-plugin/
>
> Once the promotion is successful, I would like to look into releasing
> version 1.0 of the plugin.
>

> Benjamin

[RESULT] [VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

Benjamin Bentmann

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1: Dennis Lundberg, Arnaud Héritier, John Casey

Thanks for the feedback! I will move the sources over.

Over the weekend I plan to look at the outstanding issues reported for
jar:sign and see what I can quickly integrate into the new plugin before
I call a vote for 1.0. Once the plugin is out, I will deprecate the
signing goals in the maven-jar-plugin.

Benjamin

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Promote maven-jarsigner-plugin out of sandbox

Costin Caraivan
Benjamin Bentmann wrote
Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result:

+1: Dennis Lundberg, Arnaud Héritier, John Casey

Thanks for the feedback! I will move the sources over.

Over the weekend I plan to look at the outstanding issues reported for
jar:sign and see what I can quickly integrate into the new plugin before
I call a vote for 1.0. Once the plugin is out, I will deprecate the
signing goals in the maven-jar-plugin.

Benjamin

Congratulations!

BTW, about this:
Benjamin Bentmann wrote
Does this plugin take care of the problem of not being able to sign a jar
artifact which has a non-jar packaging type? I ran into this issue recently.

Thanks,
Shane
If I want to make and sign a jar and then wrap it in a zip, in the same module... Right now I can't. Is there any technical reason to not allow this?

Thank you,
Costin.

Costin Caraivan wrote:

> If I want to make and sign a jar and then wrap it in a zip, in the same
> module... Right now I can't. Is there any technical reason to not allow
> this?

I don't quite understand how this relates to this plugin. It will allow
to sign the JAR, what you do with this JAR afterwards is the concern of
another plugin, e.g. the Maven Assembly Plugin.

Benjamin