Quantcast

Using Apache parent pom

Craig L Russell
Hi,

I'm using maven2 to build JDO db.apache.org/jdo and would like a
pointer to how to use the Apache parent pom. I've searched Google for
a while and haven't found a detailed "how, why", cookbook description.

What I have read is that using this pom will simplify the release
process and allow us to use the Nexus staging repository.

Any pointers? Please include me in the reply; I'm not subscribed to
this list.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
Chair, OpenJPA PMC
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Using Apache parent pom

kaosko
http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html

Kalle

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Craig L Russell

> I'm using maven2 to build JDO db.apache.org/jdo and would like a pointer to
> how to use the Apache parent pom. I've searched Google for a while and
> haven't found a detailed "how, why", cookbook description.
>
> What I have read is that using this pom will simplify the release process
> and allow us to use the Nexus staging repository.
>
> Any pointers? Please include me in the reply; I'm not subscribed to this
> list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> Chair, OpenJPA PMC
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Using Apache parent pom

olamy
Hello,
You will find some docs here [1].
I will update this as the last released parent is 8.
Note we are working on releasing 9.
If any issue you load a jira entry here [2]

Olivier Lamy
http://twitter.com/olamy
http://www.linkedin.com/in/olamy

[1]http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MPOM

2011/2/1 Craig L Russell <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> I'm using maven2 to build JDO db.apache.org/jdo and would like a pointer
> to how to use the Apache parent pom. I've searched Google for a while and
> haven't found a detailed "how, why", cookbook description.
>
> What I have read is that using this pom will simplify the release process
> and allow us to use the Nexus staging repository.
>
> Any pointers? Please include me in the reply; I'm not subscribed to this
> list.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> Chair, OpenJPA PMC
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Using Apache parent pom

Craig L Russell
Thanks Kalle, looks like the right level for me to master before I ask
more detailed questions.

Craig

On Feb 1, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:

> http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
>
> Kalle
>

> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Craig L Russell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using maven2 to build JDO db.apache.org/jdo and would like a
>> pointer to
>> how to use the Apache parent pom. I've searched Google for a while
>> and
>> haven't found a detailed "how, why", cookbook description.
>>
>> What I have read is that using this pom will simplify the release
>> process
>> and allow us to use the Nexus staging repository.
>>
>> Any pointers? Please include me in the reply; I'm not subscribed to
>> this
>> list.
>>
>> Thanks,

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
Chair, OpenJPA PMC
[hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Nothing put into target directories

Kenneth Litwak
  I've got a Maven-based project, which contains two modules, each with
its own pom, and a pom for the whole project.  When I run
mvn clean package

the build succeeds, but nothing is showing up in my target directories.
I'm  not sure where to look for what is missing.  How do I track this
down?  Here is the pom for the webapp portion:

  <parent>
    <artifactId>MvnSpringWebApp</artifactId>
    <groupId>edu.apu.mvnspringwebapp</groupId>
    <version>1.0</version>
  </parent>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>edu.apu.mvnspringwebapp</groupId>
  <artifactId>web</artifactId>
  <packaging>war</packaging>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <name>mvnspringwebapp</name>
  <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>junit</groupId>
      <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
      <version>3.8.1</version>
      <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
      <dependency>
        <groupId>edu.apu.mvnspringwebapp</groupId>
        <artifactId>core</artifactId>
        <version>1.0</version>
      </dependency>

  </dependencies>
  <build>
    <finalName>mvnspringwebapp</finalName>
  </build>
</project>

I have created a test directory hierarchy under "web/src," for example,
and I don't see any evidence that Maven even saw that.  Thanks.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
Azusa, CA 91702

Re: Nothing put into target directories

Hilco Wijbenga-3

Did you read http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/usage.html?

RE: Nothing put into target directories

Kenneth Litwak
When I use
mvn compile war:war
instead, I get the same error I was getting before:
"Error assembling war:  webxml attribute is required"

  The web page you pointed me to has one project structure but I am using a different project structure, which involves having two modules in one project.  So I pasted in the source for the pom for the web part.  There seems to be a requirement that I have something like
Project dir
    core
      src
        main
    web
       src
          main
              webapp
                     aaa
                         bbb
                            ccc
                              FrontController.java
                     WEB-INF
                        web.xml

In case this loses formatting in email, core and web are at the same directory level under the project directory and aaa and WEB-INF are at the same directory level under webapp.

Do I need to do more to tell Maven the paths under web so that it can find WEB-INF?  Thanks.

Ken

Kenneth D. Litwak, Ph.D.
Azusa Pacific University
901 E. Alosta Ave.
Azusa, CA 91702

On 1 February 2011 16:40, Kenneth Litwak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I use
> mvn compile war:war
> instead, I get the same error I was getting before:
> "Error assembling war:  webxml attribute is required"
>
>  The web page you pointed me to has one project structure but I am using a different project structure, which involves having two modules in one project.  So I pasted in the source for the pom for the web part.  There seems to be a requirement that I have something like
> Project dir
>    core
>      src
>        main
>    web
>       src
>          main
>              webapp
>                     aaa
>                         bbb
>                            ccc
>                              FrontController.java
>                     WEB-INF
>                        web.xml
>

> In case this loses formatting in email, core and web are at the same directory level under the project directory and aaa and WEB-INF are at the same directory level under webapp.
>
> Do I need to do more to tell Maven the paths under web so that it can find WEB-INF?  Thanks.

I get the feeling you haven't done much research yet. You don't seem
to know even the very basics. Check out these links:

http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/
http://maven.apache.org/guides/index.html
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html

RE: Nothing put into target directories

Kenneth Litwak
Thanks for the links but actually I've read a bunch of stuff on Maven. Unfortunately, I've found diverse examples, mostly generic, and none that address the exact specifics of precisely, in every possible detail, the exact structure that one needs for a multi-module project and every _single_ line in every file that Maven needs.  If you can point me to a reference for that, I'll happily read it.  I read the POM reference at the Maven site, for example, and didn't see any detailed, full-example-based discussion of what I'm trying to find out.

On 2 February 2011 08:50, Kenneth Litwak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the links but actually I've read a bunch of stuff on Maven. Unfortunately, I've found diverse examples, mostly generic, and none that address the exact specifics of precisely, in every possible detail, the exact structure that one needs for a multi-module project and every _single_ line in every file that Maven needs.  If you can point me to a reference for that, I'll happily read it.  I read the POM reference at the Maven site, for example, and didn't see any detailed, full-example-based discussion of what I'm trying to find out.

I know it's a bit frustrating, you want to get things done but you
want to do it properly and that's slowing you down. You are really
going to have to read Maven by Example
(http://www.sonatype.com/books.html). Try the examples and try to
understand the structure of a project (e.g. Java source files don't go
in src/main/webapp but in src/main/java). Start with a single project,
not a multi-project build. You need to understand the Maven lifecycle
and then have a look at the various plugins as they become relevant to
you (http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html).

For all its faults, Maven is incredibly well documented so take
advantage of that and read it. It shouldn't take you all that long.

Re: Nothing put into target directories

Ron Wheeler
On 02/02/2011 12:46 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> On 2 February 2011 08:50, Kenneth Litwak<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Thanks for the links but actually I've read a bunch of stuff on Maven. Unfortunately, I've found diverse examples, mostly generic, and none that address the exact specifics of precisely, in every possible detail, the exact structure that one needs for a multi-module project and every _single_ line in every file that Maven needs.  If you can point me to a reference for that, I'll happily read it.  I read the POM reference at the Maven site, for example, and didn't see any detailed, full-example-based discussion of what I'm trying to find out.
> I know it's a bit frustrating, you want to get things done but you
> want to do it properly and that's slowing you down. You are really
> going to have to read Maven by Example
> (http://www.sonatype.com/books.html). Try the examples and try to
> understand the structure of a project (e.g. Java source files don't go
> in src/main/webapp but in src/main/java). Start with a single project,
> not a multi-project build. You need to understand the Maven lifecycle
> and then have a look at the various plugins as they become relevant to
> you (http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html).
>
> For all its faults, Maven is incredibly well documented so take
> advantage of that and read it. It shouldn't take you all that long.
It really lacks a Best Practice guide that lays out exactly how to
construct applications of different types in different situations.
The difficulty is that the guys that really know Maven well (Apache team
members and Sonotype guys) are so intimately involved in the product
that they can give you 20 ways to get anything done but are not very
focused on dictating Best Practices.
They also know the code so well and are fluent in reading it that they
forget that the rest of us are just trying to get going as quickly as
possible and regard
the Maven setup as a necessary tool but not anywhere near the top of the
list of things that we have to consider to get our applications built.

The rest of us are so happy that we are getting things built but are not
sure if we are doing it optimally.

What you are asking for is exactly what is missing in the documentation.
The books are helpful and there are a few but they all suffer from being
a bit  too "inside the beltway" and give way too many ways to do things.

On 2 February 2011 11:04, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/02/2011 12:46 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
>> On 2 February 2011 08:50, Kenneth Litwak<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> Thanks for the links but actually I've read a bunch of stuff on Maven.
>>> Unfortunately, I've found diverse examples, mostly generic, and none that
>>> address the exact specifics of precisely, in every possible detail, the
>>> exact structure that one needs for a multi-module project and every _single_
>>> line in every file that Maven needs.  If you can point me to a reference for
>>> that, I'll happily read it.  I read the POM reference at the Maven site, for
>>> example, and didn't see any detailed, full-example-based discussion of what
>>> I'm trying to find out.
>>
>> I know it's a bit frustrating, you want to get things done but you
>> want to do it properly and that's slowing you down. You are really
>> going to have to read Maven by Example
>> (http://www.sonatype.com/books.html). Try the examples and try to
>> understand the structure of a project (e.g. Java source files don't go
>> in src/main/webapp but in src/main/java). Start with a single project,
>> not a multi-project build. You need to understand the Maven lifecycle
>> and then have a look at the various plugins as they become relevant to
>> you (http://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html).
>>
>> For all its faults, Maven is incredibly well documented so take
>> advantage of that and read it. It shouldn't take you all that long.
>
> It really lacks a Best Practice guide that lays out exactly how to construct
> applications of different types in different situations.
> The difficulty is that the guys that really know Maven well (Apache team
> members and Sonotype guys) are so intimately involved in the product that
> they can give you 20 ways to get anything done but are not very focused on
> dictating Best Practices.
> They also know the code so well and are fluent in reading it that they
> forget that the rest of us are just trying to get going as quickly as
> possible and regard
> the Maven setup as a necessary tool but not anywhere near the top of the
> list of things that we have to consider to get our applications built.

Hear, hear! :-)

> The rest of us are so happy that we are getting things built but are not
> sure if we are doing it optimally.
>
> What you are asking for is exactly what is missing in the documentation.
> The books are helpful and there are a few but they all suffer from being a
> bit  too "inside the beltway" and give way too many ways to do things.

I too would love to see such a Best Practices guide. There is too much
"you're not doing it the Maven Way" without any reference to what the
"Maven Way" *is*. :-)

But while I agree with you in general, in this particular case I
believe Maven by Example shows (in excruciating detail and with
examples) exactly what the OP wants to do (or seems to want to do).

Re: Using Apache parent pom

Brian Fox-2
Hi Craig, there's also [hidden email] to talk about
release processes specific to Apache.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Craig L Russell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Kalle, looks like the right level for me to master before I ask more
> detailed questions.
>
> Craig
>
> On Feb 1, 2011, at 2:48 PM, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-artifacts.html
>>
>> Kalle
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Craig L Russell
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using maven2 to build JDO db.apache.org/jdo and would like a pointer
>>> how to use the Apache parent pom. I've searched Google for a while and
>>> haven't found a detailed "how, why", cookbook description.
>>>
>>> What I have read is that using this pom will simplify the release process
>>> and allow us to use the Nexus staging repository.
>>>
>>> Any pointers? Please include me in the reply; I'm not subscribed to this
>>> list.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>
> Craig L Russell
> Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
> Chair, OpenJPA PMC
> [hidden email] http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: Using Apache parent pom

Benson Margulies
(toots own horn) you might find the doc attached to the JIRA MPOM-5 useful.