Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
I am think of enhancing maven-dependency-plugin by adding option  to unpack
'tar' like artifact using native tar since it is faster and reserve soft
links (?)

Thoughts? would it be a maintaining night mare??

Thanks

-Dan

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Alexander Kriegisch-2
Windows does not have tar by default. You need to install Git (incl. Git Bash), Cygwin, GnuWin32 or similar. I would not expect any user to have tar installed at all or if so then in any predictable location or even reachable via PATH.
--
Alexander Kriegisch

> Am 03.06.2014 um 00:36 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
>
> I am think of enhancing maven-dependency-plugin by adding option  to unpack
> 'tar' like artifact using native tar since it is faster and reserve soft
> links (?)
>
> Thoughts? would it be a maintaining night mare??
>
> Thanks
>
> -Dan

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
correct,   I would expect user to install tar.exe or cygwin with tar on
windows and activate the option.  By default, it still uses plexus-archiver
to unpack

-D

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Windows does not have tar by default. You need to install Git (incl. Git
> Bash), Cygwin, GnuWin32 or similar. I would not expect any user to have tar
> installed at all or if so then in any predictable location or even
> reachable via PATH.
> --
> Alexander Kriegisch
>

> > Am 03.06.2014 um 00:36 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > I am think of enhancing maven-dependency-plugin by adding option  to
> unpack
> > 'tar' like artifact using native tar since it is faster and reserve soft
> > links (?)
> >
> > Thoughts? would it be a maintaining night mare??
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Dan

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Alexander Kriegisch-2
Oh, I see, multiple options. Okay, then yes - maintenance nightmare. I think we should not easily give up Java's idea of platform independence and Maven's whole point: creating standardised, repeatable builds.

If your idea is a reaction on your latest tar.gz problems, maybe we can find another solution for it. You have not reacted on my offer to inspect your files and see if I have an idea how to fix that in Java. :-)
--
Alexander Kriegisch

> Am 03.06.2014 um 00:48 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
>
> correct,   I would expect user to install tar.exe or cygwin with tar on
> windows and activate the option.  By default, it still uses plexus-archiver
> to unpack
>
> -D
>

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Windows does not have tar by default. You need to install Git (incl. Git
>> Bash), Cygwin, GnuWin32 or similar. I would not expect any user to have tar
>> installed at all or if so then in any predictable location or even
>> reachable via PATH.
>> --
>> Alexander Kriegisch
>>

>>> Am 03.06.2014 um 00:36 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I am think of enhancing maven-dependency-plugin by adding option  to
>> unpack
>>> 'tar' like artifact using native tar since it is faster and reserve soft
>>> links (?)
>>>
>>> Thoughts? would it be a maintaining night mare??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> -Dan

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
Hi Alex,  I will find a good sample file for you.

Thanks

-D

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, I see, multiple options. Okay, then yes - maintenance nightmare. I
> think we should not easily give up Java's idea of platform independence and
> Maven's whole point: creating standardised, repeatable builds.
>
> If your idea is a reaction on your latest tar.gz problems, maybe we can
> find another solution for it. You have not reacted on my offer to inspect
> your files and see if I have an idea how to fix that in Java. :-)
> --
> Alexander Kriegisch
>

> > Am 03.06.2014 um 00:48 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > correct,   I would expect user to install tar.exe or cygwin with tar on
> > windows and activate the option.  By default, it still uses
> plexus-archiver
> > to unpack
> >
> > -D
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Windows does not have tar by default. You need to install Git (incl. Git
> >> Bash), Cygwin, GnuWin32 or similar. I would not expect any user to have
> tar
> >> installed at all or if so then in any predictable location or even
> >> reachable via PATH.
> >> --
> >> Alexander Kriegisch

> >> unpack
> soft

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
BTW,

I never have good luck with plexus-archiver, and always ended up to
implement my own 'unpack' using native tar to speed up the build and also
reserve the softlinks in the archive.

So am asking the user list to see if there any interests in this feature to
give enough incentive to implement it

Thanks

-D

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alex,  I will find a good sample file for you.
>
> Thanks
>
> -D
>

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Oh, I see, multiple options. Okay, then yes - maintenance nightmare. I
>> think we should not easily give up Java's idea of platform independence and
>> Maven's whole point: creating standardised, repeatable builds.
>>
>> If your idea is a reaction on your latest tar.gz problems, maybe we can
>> find another solution for it. You have not reacted on my offer to inspect
>> your files and see if I have an idea how to fix that in Java. :-)
>> --
>> Alexander Kriegisch
>>

>> > Am 03.06.2014 um 00:48 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > correct,   I would expect user to install tar.exe or cygwin with tar on
>> > windows and activate the option.  By default, it still uses
>> plexus-archiver
>> > to unpack
>> >
>> > -D

>> Git
>> have tar

>> soft

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Jason van Zyl-6
I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this where I can:

https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:15 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW,
>
> I never have good luck with plexus-archiver, and always ended up to
> implement my own 'unpack' using native tar to speed up the build and also
> reserve the softlinks in the archive.
>
> So am asking the user list to see if there any interests in this feature to
> give enough incentive to implement it
>
> Thanks
>
> -D
>

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,  I will find a good sample file for you.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -D
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, I see, multiple options. Okay, then yes - maintenance nightmare. I
>>> think we should not easily give up Java's idea of platform independence and
>>> Maven's whole point: creating standardised, repeatable builds.
>>>
>>> If your idea is a reaction on your latest tar.gz problems, maybe we can
>>> find another solution for it. You have not reacted on my offer to inspect
>>> your files and see if I have an idea how to fix that in Java. :-)
>>> --
>>> Alexander Kriegisch

>>> plexus-archiver

>>> Git
>>> have tar

>>> soft

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to act in accordance with your thinking.

 -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
option to use native tar during unpack.

Thanks Jason

-Dan

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
> where I can:
>

> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java
>
> On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:15 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > BTW,
> >
> > I never have good luck with plexus-archiver, and always ended up to
> > implement my own 'unpack' using native tar to speed up the build and also
> > reserve the softlinks in the archive.
> >
> > So am asking the user list to see if there any interests in this feature
> > give enough incentive to implement it
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -D
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Alex,  I will find a good sample file for you.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> -D

> independence and

> inspect

> on

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>
> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to
> act in accordance with your thinking.
>
>  -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Alexander Kriegisch-2
I disagree, even though I could live with it. How about putting the effort in improving the Java implementation if something is wrong with symlink extraction? And BTW, your archives in this case (see other thread) just had the wrong extension because you packed them without the "z" option, which is a simple user mistake. I can also create an Excel file and rename it to myfile.txt, which does not make it readable in a normal text editor. ;-)
--
Alexander Kriegisch

> Am 03.06.2014 um 06:20 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
>
> Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
> option to use native tar during unpack.
>
> Thanks Jason
>
> -Dan
>

>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
>> where I can:
>>

>> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java
>>
>>> On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:15 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW,
>>>
>>> I never have good luck with plexus-archiver, and always ended up to
>>> implement my own 'unpack' using native tar to speed up the build and also
>>> reserve the softlinks in the archive.
>>>
>>> So am asking the user list to see if there any interests in this feature
>>> give enough incentive to implement it
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> -D

>> independence and

>> inspect

>> on

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to
>> act in accordance with your thinking.
>>
>> -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Kristian Rosenvold-4
I know I have a couple of branches that at least convert all the
plexus-archiver zip stuff to use commons-compress, which is reasonably
simple to plug into plexus-archiver. I have been a bit reluctant to
push these changes since I've been mildly concerned about fallout. I
think it should be fairly simple to convert the remaining
plexus-archiver code to use commons-compress too, including the tar
stuff.

I am more concerned about the testing aspect of this change, it would
require extensive testing and probably some community effort. Is there
any interest in this ?

Commons-compress is at least maintained; which is a Good Thing  ;)

Kristian

> Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
> option to use native tar during unpack.
>
> Thanks Jason
>
> -Dan
>

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
>> where I can:
>>

>> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java
>>
>> On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:15 PM, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > BTW,
>> >
>> > I never have good luck with plexus-archiver, and always ended up to
>> > implement my own 'unpack' using native tar to speed up the build and also
>> > reserve the softlinks in the archive.
>> >
>> > So am asking the user list to see if there any interests in this feature
>> > give enough incentive to implement it
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > -D

>> independence and

>> inspect

>> on

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to
>> act in accordance with your thinking.
>>
>>  -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Alexander Kriegisch-2
I think that generally code reuse is a good idea. ;-) In this case the code even stays within the Apache family, so if anyone cares about my humble opinion, I think it makes sense. As for testing, I think Jason lately talked about Maven's integration test bed. Maybe it makes sense to add an appropriate number of cases to that, if necessary.
--
Alexander Kriegisch

> Am 03.06.2014 um 07:53 schrieb Kristian Rosenvold <[hidden email]>:
>
> I know I have a couple of branches that at least convert all the
> plexus-archiver zip stuff to use commons-compress, which is reasonably
> simple to plug into plexus-archiver. I have been a bit reluctant to
> push these changes since I've been mildly concerned about fallout. I
> think it should be fairly simple to convert the remaining
> plexus-archiver code to use commons-compress too, including the tar
> stuff.
>
> I am more concerned about the testing aspect of this change, it would
> require extensive testing and probably some community effort. Is there
> any interest in this ?
>
> Commons-compress is at least maintained; which is a Good Thing  ;)
>

> Kristian

>> Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
>> option to use native tar during unpack.
>>
>> Thanks Jason
>>
>> -Dan
>>

>>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
>>> where I can:
>>>

>>> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

>>> independence and

>>> inspect

>>> on

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>> http://twitter.com/takari_io

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
I filed an Jira at https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEP-447 . Let's see
how much interests it can gather

-D

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:40 PM, Alexander Kriegisch <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I disagree, even though I could live with it. How about putting the effort
> in improving the Java implementation if something is wrong with symlink
> extraction? And BTW, your archives in this case (see other thread) just had
> the wrong extension because you packed them without the "z" option, which
> is a simple user mistake. I can also create an Excel file and rename it to
> myfile.txt, which does not make it readable in a normal text editor. ;-)
> --
> Alexander Kriegisch
>

> > Am 03.06.2014 um 06:20 schrieb Dan Tran <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
> > option to use native tar during unpack.
> >
> > Thanks Jason
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> >> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
> >> where I can:
> >>

> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

> also

> feature

> >> independence and

> can
> >> inspect

> >> on

> (incl.

> reserve

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason

> >> Jason van Zyl
> >> Founder,  Apache Maven
> >> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> >> http://twitter.com/takari_io
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is
> >> act in accordance with your thinking.
> >>
> >> -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
I am interested, may be it should be 3.0-alpha?

-D

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Kristian Rosenvold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know I have a couple of branches that at least convert all the
> plexus-archiver zip stuff to use commons-compress, which is reasonably
> simple to plug into plexus-archiver. I have been a bit reluctant to
> push these changes since I've been mildly concerned about fallout. I
> think it should be fairly simple to convert the remaining
> plexus-archiver code to use commons-compress too, including the tar
> stuff.
>
> I am more concerned about the testing aspect of this change, it would
> require extensive testing and probably some community effort. Is there
> any interest in this ?
>
> Commons-compress is at least maintained; which is a Good Thing  ;)
>

> Kristian

> > Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
> > option to use native tar during unpack.
> >
> > Thanks Jason
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
> >> where I can:
> >>

> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

> also

> feature

> nightmare. I
> >> independence and

> can
> >> inspect

> tar
> >> on

> (incl.

> reserve

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason

> >> Jason van Zyl
> >> Founder,  Apache Maven
> >> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> >> http://twitter.com/takari_io
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is
> >> act in accordance with your thinking.
> >>
> >>  -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Mark H. Wood
On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 04:15:15PM -0700, Dan Tran wrote:
> BTW,
>
> I never have good luck with plexus-archiver, and always ended up to
> implement my own 'unpack' using native tar to speed up the build and also
> reserve the softlinks in the archive.

If plexus-archiver needs work, maybe they would accept a patch.  Then
everybody wins.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [hidden email]
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
This issue is back from my side.

I am planing to cook up plexus-archiver to use native tar.  Now is there a
way to somehow swap/overide the built-in java tar unpack with mine?  Would
twisting order to classpath possible?

Thanks

-Dan

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know I have a couple of branches that at least convert all the
> plexus-archiver zip stuff to use commons-compress, which is reasonably
> simple to plug into plexus-archiver. I have been a bit reluctant to
> push these changes since I've been mildly concerned about fallout. I
> think it should be fairly simple to convert the remaining
> plexus-archiver code to use commons-compress too, including the tar
> stuff.
>
> I am more concerned about the testing aspect of this change, it would
> require extensive testing and probably some community effort. Is there
> any interest in this ?
>
> Commons-compress is at least maintained; which is a Good Thing  ;)
>

> Kristian

> > Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
> > option to use native tar during unpack.
> >
> > Thanks Jason
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
> >> where I can:
> >>

> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

> also

> feature

> nightmare. I
> >> independence and

> can
> >> inspect

> tar
> >> on

> (incl.

> reserve

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason

> >> Jason van Zyl
> >> Founder,  Apache Maven
> >> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> >> http://twitter.com/takari_io
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is
> >> act in accordance with your thinking.
> >>
> >>  -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
Kristian, where is the branches that have common-compress for archiving?

[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know I have a couple of branches that at least convert all the
> plexus-archiver zip stuff to use commons-compress, which is reasonably
> simple to plug into plexus-archiver. I have been a bit reluctant to
> push these changes since I've been mildly concerned about fallout. I
> think it should be fairly simple to convert the remaining
> plexus-archiver code to use commons-compress too, including the tar
> stuff.
>
> I am more concerned about the testing aspect of this change, it would
> require extensive testing and probably some community effort. Is there
> any interest in this ?
>
> Commons-compress is at least maintained; which is a Good Thing  ;)
>

> Kristian

> > Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
> > option to use native tar during unpack.
> >
> > Thanks Jason
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
> >> where I can:
> >>

> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

> also

> feature

> nightmare. I
> >> independence and

> can
> >> inspect

> tar
> >> on

> (incl.

> reserve

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Jason

> >> Jason van Zyl
> >> Founder,  Apache Maven
> >> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> >> http://twitter.com/takari_io
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is
> >> act in accordance with your thinking.
> >>
> >>  -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Hi Kristian,

 > I know I have a couple of branches that at least convert all the
> plexus-archiver zip stuff to use commons-compress, which is reasonably
> simple to plug into plexus-archiver. I have been a bit reluctant to
> push these changes since I've been mildly concerned about fallout. I
> think it should be fairly simple to convert the remaining
> plexus-archiver code to use commons-compress too, including the tar
> stuff.

It would be great to get the commons compress part into...cause it's
better maintained etc.

Furthermore it would be a path to get rid of plexus-archiver at all...If
i understand you would change the plexus-archiver to use
commons-compress...so after that we could change the other plugins /
components to use commons-compress directly...

> I am more concerned about the testing aspect of this change, it would
> require extensive testing and probably some community effort. Is there
> any interest in this ?

Yes it is....

Of course it needs testing but if we don't go that way we have to stuck
all the time plexus-archiver ....

> Commons-compress is at least maintained; which is a Good Thing  ;)

Thumb up...

Kind regards
Karl-Heinz Marbaise

> Kristian

>> Looks like it is worth a try to get maven-dependency-plugin having an
>> option to use native tar during unpack.
>>
>> Thanks Jason
>>
>> -Dan
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have had many problems with Java-based TAR solutions. I often use this
>>> where I can:
>>>

>>> https://github.com/airlift/airship/blob/master/airship-shared/src/main/java/io/airlift/airship/shared/FileUtils.java

>>> independence and

>>> inspect

>>> on

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>>
>>> To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to
>>> act in accordance with your thinking.
>>>
>>>   -- Johann von Goethe

Re: Use native tar to unpack? good/bad idea?

Dan Tran
I meant  to cook up a plexus-archiver 'component' using native tar using
the same 'hint'