Unexpected copying / recompiling

Russell Gold-3
In the project at https://github.com/oracle/weblogic-kubernetes-operator, repeated runs of ‘mvn compile’ insist on copying the resources and recompiling all of the source, every time. How do I fix that?

Thanks,
Russ

Re: Unexpected copying / recompiling

rfscholte
You're probably hit by MCOMPILER-205[1]

tl;rd; it is the package-info.java that's causing issues. Try adding
-Xpkginfo:always

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-205

On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 17:03:29 +0100, Russell Gold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In the project at
> https://github.com/oracle/weblogic-kubernetes-operator, repeated runs of
> ‘mvn compile’ insist on copying the resources and recompiling all of the
> source, every time. How do I fix that?
>
> Thanks,
> Russ

Re: Unexpected copying / recompiling

Russell Gold-3
Thanks,

That does indeed prevent the recompilation.

What do I need to do to prevent the superfluous recopying?

Thanks,
Russ

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You're probably hit by MCOMPILER-205[1]
>
> tl;rd; it is the package-info.java that's causing issues. Try adding -Xpkginfo:always
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>

> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-205
>
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 17:03:29 +0100, Russell Gold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> In the project at https://github.com/oracle/weblogic-kubernetes-operator, repeated runs of ‘mvn compile’ insist on copying the resources and recompiling all of the source, every time. How do I fix that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Russ

Re: Unexpected copying / recompiling

rfscholte
Normally if at least one source is newer to its matching class, it
triggers the compiler.
I don't understand what's so special with package-info files.
The docs[1] aren't really clear about it, but I can imagine it would be
nice if it could be fixed in the maven-compiler-plugin.

There are 2 patches, both look invalid to me.
The ignore-package-info.patch doesn't seem right, if those files change
they should be recompiled.
The only-recompile-changed.patch seems incorrect. If you are outside of an
IDE and change any method signature, all code needs to be recompiled;
classes using calling the old signature should cause a compilation error.

thanks,
Robert

[1]
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/tools/javac.htm#GUID-AEEC9F07-CB49-4E96-8BC7-BCC2C7F725C9__GUID-277D77C7-0F96-40A6-8411-A264B6F28A46

On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:29:11 +0100, Russell Gold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> That does indeed prevent the recompilation.
>
> What do I need to do to prevent the superfluous recopying?
>
> Thanks,
> Russ
>
>> On Mar 5, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> You're probably hit by MCOMPILER-205[1]
>>
>> tl;rd; it is the package-info.java that's causing issues. Try adding
>> -Xpkginfo:always
>>
>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>

>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-205
>>
>> On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 17:03:29 +0100, Russell Gold
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> In the project at
>>> https://github.com/oracle/weblogic-kubernetes-operator, repeated runs
>>> of ‘mvn compile’ insist on copying the resources and recompiling all
>>> of the source, every time. How do I fix that?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Russ

Re: Unexpected copying / recompiling

Russell Gold-3
Sorry, I was unclear.

I am still getting two resource files copied from src/main/resource to target/classes, even though they haven’t changed. If I run with -X it tells me that each of the files in question “ has a filtered oil extension.”

Thanks,
Russ

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 2:11 PM, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Normally if at least one source is newer to its matching class, it triggers the compiler.
> I don't understand what's so special with package-info files.
> The docs[1] aren't really clear about it, but I can imagine it would be nice if it could be fixed in the maven-compiler-plugin.
>
> There are 2 patches, both look invalid to me.
> The ignore-package-info.patch doesn't seem right, if those files change they should be recompiled.
> The only-recompile-changed.patch seems incorrect. If you are outside of an IDE and change any method signature, all code needs to be recompiled; classes using calling the old signature should cause a compilation error.
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> [1] https://docs.oracle.com/javase/9/tools/javac.htm#GUID-AEEC9F07-CB49-4E96-8BC7-BCC2C7F725C9__GUID-277D77C7-0F96-40A6-8411-A264B6F28A46
>
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:29:11 +0100, Russell Gold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> That does indeed prevent the recompilation.
>>
>> What do I need to do to prevent the superfluous recopying?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Russ
>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2018, at 12:41 PM, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> You're probably hit by MCOMPILER-205[1]
>>>
>>> tl;rd; it is the package-info.java that's causing issues. Try adding -Xpkginfo:always
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Robert
>>>

>>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCOMPILER-205

Re: Unexpected copying / recompiling

rfscholte
No clue. I don't recognize it, but looks like an issue with the
maven-resources-plugin.