Unable to update index for internal Repository

Unable to update index for internal Repository

Chew
Hey there,

I used to work with a bit older Version of m2eclipse (0.9... I think) together with our internal repository which is accessed by the scp protocol. This repository is defined in the user-settings.xml.

I got a new notebook and wanted to install Eclipse with all needed plugins to be able to work on this new computer. However, I dont get Maven to run.

When starting Eclipse, it tries to update the indexes of my repositories which works fine for the standard-repositories (e.g. central).

But it says "Unable to update index for login|scp://login.../.../"

I can login into this repository on the shell with ssh and copy files with scp manually. But this error remains.

I checked the Eclipse log at startup. It says (note that I discompleted the URL manually):

!ENTRY org.maven.ide.eclipse 4 0 2010-05-31 19:03:47.360
!MESSAGE Unable to update index for login|scp://login/.../.../
!STACK 0
java.io.IOException: Wagon exception connecting to Repository[4ecfe11ccbfcf8f3e4938b5bf42649d1|scp://login/.../.../.index]
        at org.sonatype.nexus.index.updater.DefaultIndexUpdater$WagonFetcher.connect(DefaultIndexUpdater.java:651)
        at org.sonatype.nexus.index.updater.DefaultIndexUpdater.fetchAndUpdateIndex(DefaultIndexUpdater.java:120)
        at org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.NexusIndexManager.updateRemoteIndex(NexusIndexManager.java:1060)
        at org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.NexusIndexManager.updateIndex(NexusIndexManager.java:1013)
        at org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.NexusIndexManager$1.run(NexusIndexManager.java:624)
        at org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.IndexUpdaterJob.run(IndexUpdaterJob.java:71)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

I don't know that to do with that message. Only thing that caught my eye, there is no such ".index" file at the given location. Does it need to be? Never noticed such a file before.

So, any ideas?

Thanks!

Chew

Re: Unable to update index for internal Repository

Igor Fedorenko-3
Can you please explain what is the problem exactly? "Maven does not run"
is not specific enough, unfortunately.

Also, the exception that you see comes from nexus-indexer integration
and is expected because m2e only supports http(s) protocol to access
remote indexes. You can disable indexer support for individual
repository in Maven repositories view to suppress the message. This
exception does not affect the rest of m2e functionality.

Igor

Chew wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I used to work with a bit older Version of m2eclipse (0.9... I think)
> together with our internal repository which is accessed by the scp protocol.
> This repository is defined in the user-settings.xml.
>
> I got a new notebook and wanted to install Eclipse with all needed plugins
> to be able to work on this new computer. However, I dont get Maven to run.
>
> When starting Eclipse, it tries to update the indexes of my repositories
> which works fine for the standard-repositories (e.g. central).
>
> But it says "Unable to update index for login|scp://login.../.../"
>
> I can login into this repository on the shell with ssh and copy files with
> scp manually. But this error remains.
>
> I checked the Eclipse log at startup. It says (note that I discompleted the
> URL manually):
>
> !ENTRY org.maven.ide.eclipse 4 0 2010-05-31 19:03:47.360
> !MESSAGE Unable to update index for login|scp://login/.../.../
> !STACK 0
> java.io.IOException: Wagon exception connecting to
> Repository[4ecfe11ccbfcf8f3e4938b5bf42649d1|scp://login/.../.../.index]
> at
> org.sonatype.nexus.index.updater.DefaultIndexUpdater$WagonFetcher.connect(DefaultIndexUpdater.java:651)
> at
> org.sonatype.nexus.index.updater.DefaultIndexUpdater.fetchAndUpdateIndex(DefaultIndexUpdater.java:120)
> at
> org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.NexusIndexManager.updateRemoteIndex(NexusIndexManager.java:1060)
> at
> org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.NexusIndexManager.updateIndex(NexusIndexManager.java:1013)
> at
> org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.NexusIndexManager$1.run(NexusIndexManager.java:624)
> at
> org.maven.ide.eclipse.internal.index.IndexUpdaterJob.run(IndexUpdaterJob.java:71)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
>

> I don't know that to do with that message. Only thing that caught my eye,
> there is no such ".index" file at the given location. Does it need to be?
> Never noticed such a file before.
>
> So, any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Chew

Re: Unable to update index for internal Repository

Chew
Mh, I thought the unability to update the index was my problem. But following what you are saying, this isn't true (which is not very surprising, of course).

I currently have 2 versions of Eclipse: An older, working installation, with m2e v. 0.9.8, and a new one, built with a fresh download of Eclipse. Besides the m2e plugin, only Subsclipse has been installed.

My problem is that with the newer m2eclipse plugin my dependencies which should be fetched from our internal repository (over scp) do not become resolved. Using my older Eclipse with m2e v. 0.9.8, all dependencies would be downloaded over scp from our repository instantly (tried this by renaming the .m2/repository directory and letting m2e fetching the dependencies from scratch).

Is scp support gone as a whole or something? I just get error messages like this when watching the POM in the POM editor and clicking on one of the red messages at the top of the editor:

-----------------
Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM de.julielab:jules:1.3 for de.julielab:jules-medline-reader:1.15: Failed to resolve POM for de.julielab:jules:1.3 due to Missing:
----------
1) de.julielab:jules:pom:1.3
----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  de.julielab:jules:pom:1.3

from the specified remote repositories:
  codehouse (http://svn.codehaus.org/fest/m2/repo/, releases=true, snapshots=true),
  login (scp://login.../, releases=true, snapshots=true),
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2, releases=true, snapshots=false)
--------------

Both m2eclipse installations use the same .m2 directory and thus the same settings.xml. I used seperate workspaces and downloaded the same project down from our SVN, so the project I'm using to test this is identical in both workspaces.

Igor Fedorenko-4 wrote

Igor

Re: Unable to update index for internal Repository

Igor Fedorenko-3
Are you able to build your projects using maven 3.0-beta-1 from cli?

Also, as far as I know, both maven and m2e only support http(s) out of
the box, so your projects must be explicitly configured to use ssh wagon
and maven central repository (or a mirror) must be configured and
accessible over http in order for scp repository access to work.

Igor

Chew wrote:

> Mh, I thought the unability to update the index was my problem. But following
> what you are saying, this isn't true (which is not very surprising, of
> course).
>
> I currently have 2 versions of Eclipse: An older, working installation, with
> m2e v. 0.9.8, and a new one, built with a fresh download of Eclipse. Besides
> the m2e plugin, only Subsclipse has been installed.
>
> My problem is that with the newer m2eclipse plugin my dependencies which
> should be fetched from our internal repository (over scp) do not become
> resolved. Using my older Eclipse with m2e v. 0.9.8, all dependencies would
> be downloaded over scp from our repository instantly (tried this by renaming
> the .m2/repository directory and letting m2e fetching the dependencies from
> scratch).
>
> Is scp support gone as a whole or something? I just get error messages like
> this when watching the POM in the POM editor and clicking on one of the red
> messages at the top of the editor:
>
> -----------------
> Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM de.julielab:jules:1.3 for
> de.julielab:jules-medline-reader:1.15: Failed to resolve POM for
> de.julielab:jules:1.3 due to Missing:
> ----------
> 1) de.julielab:jules:pom:1.3
> ----------
> 1 required artifact is missing.
>
> for artifact:
>   de.julielab:jules:pom:1.3
>
> from the specified remote repositories:
>   codehouse (http://svn.codehaus.org/fest/m2/repo/, releases=true,
> snapshots=true),
>   login (scp://login.../, releases=true, snapshots=true),
>   central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2, releases=true, snapshots=false)
> --------------
>
> Both m2eclipse installations use the same .m2 directory and thus the same
> settings.xml. I used seperate workspaces and downloaded the same project
> down from our SVN, so the project I'm using to test this is identical in
> both workspaces.
>

> Igor Fedorenko-4 wrote:
>> Can you please explain what is the problem exactly? "Maven does not run"
>> is not specific enough, unfortunately.
>>
>> Also, the exception that you see comes from nexus-indexer integration
>> and is expected because m2e only supports http(s) protocol to access
>> remote indexes. You can disable indexer support for individual
>> repository in Maven repositories view to suppress the message. This
>> exception does not affect the rest of m2e functionality.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Igor

Re: Unable to update index for internal Repository

Chew
I will check, if the build using maven 3.0-beta-1 works. However, currently I am out of time and will check this later.
Just one thing: If m2e and maven only support http(s), why does the 0.9.8 plugin work? Was there ssh support in the past and and has been removed? As I described, I tested the absolutely same project with the same POM with m2e 0.9.8 and with 0.10 but only 0.9.8 would work.

Igor Fedorenko-4 wrote
Are you able to build your projects using maven 3.0-beta-1 from cli?

Also, as far as I know, both maven and m2e only support http(s) out of
the box, so your projects must be explicitly configured to use ssh wagon
and maven central repository (or a mirror) must be configured and
accessible over http in order for scp repository access to work.

Igor

Re: Unable to update index for internal Repository

Jason van Zyl-2

On Jun 4, 2010, at 11:03 AM, Chew wrote:

I will check, if the build using maven 3.0-beta-1 works. However, currently I
am out of time and will check this later.
Just one thing: If m2e and maven only support http(s), why does the 0.9.8
plugin work? Was there ssh support in the past and and has been removed?

SSH support was removed from Maven 3.x's core. An overwhelming majority of our users simply need http/s so that's what we focused on supporting. On the open source side my philosophy is support well what you ship, and so in order to do that you have to narrow the scope as much as possible. This was one of the choices we made.

Igor Fedorenko-4 wrote:

Are you able to build your projects using maven 3.0-beta-1 from cli?

Also, as far as I know, both maven and m2e only support http(s) out of
the box, so your projects must be explicitly configured to use ssh wagon
and maven central repository (or a mirror) must be configured and
accessible over http in order for scp repository access to work.

Igor

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)

Re: Unable to update index for internal Repository

cn.yedq
-----------------
Project build error: Non-resolvable parent POM de.julielab:jules:1.3 for de.julielab:jules-medline-reader:1.15: Failed to resolve POM for de.julielab:jules:1.3 due to Missing:
----------

it's not the problem about m2eclispe version or maven version.

Adding the clause like "<relativePath>../20.40.01PARENT/pom.xml</relativePath>" while specifying parent in module's pom file can solve this problem.

eg:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project>
        <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
        <parent>
                <groupId>XXX</groupId>
                <artifactId>YYY</artifactId>
                <version>1.0.0</version>
                <relativePath>../20.40.01PARENT/pom.xml</relativePath>
        </parent>
        <artifactId>framework</artifactId>

I have try the 4 situations: run mvn cmd input under maven2.2.1 and maven 3.0 ,  run in eclipse with m2eclispe 0.9.8 and 0.10.0. Before each try, i first clean the '%my document%/.m2/..../%groupId%/*' dir  and workspace's metadata dir to keep the init state. I found only the try in eclipse with m2eclispe 0.9.8 can go on, the other 3 would report missing parent artifact. But with 'relativePath' clause specified, all 4 ways can work.

LOG display that it is likely beacause the m2eclispe 0.9.8 runs 'Pre-scanning' for the parent pom position.