Quantcast

Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

Thomas Porschberg
Hi,

I'm now in chapter 6 of "Java EE 6 Platform with GlassFish 3"
and I try to build the example with mvn.

In my pom.xml there is:

<dependency>
 <groupId>org.glassfish</groupId>
 <artifactId>javax.ejb</artifactId>
 <version>3.0</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
 <groupId>org.glassfish.embedded</groupId>
 <artifactId>glassfish-embedded-all</artifactId>
 <version>3.0</version>
 <scope>test</scope>
</dependency>

but a "mvn package" gives me:

Downloading:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?r=1&nf=1&file=/rt/eclipselink/maven.repo/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
[INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
repository EclipseLink Repo
(http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?r=1&nf=1&file=/rt/eclipselink/maven.repo)
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
[INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2) Downloading:
http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
[INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
repository maven2-repository.dev.java.net
(http://download.java.net/maven/2)

Is there a maven2 repository outside which provides the glassfish jars?

I have also a running glassfish server on my machine but is it the
right way to install the jars manually?

Best regards
Thomas

Thomas Porschberg
Otto Group · GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden (GTP)
Softwareentwickler · Lokale Logistik · FI-IS-LL

GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden GmbH · Freiberger Straße 35 · 01067
Dresden Telefon +49 (0) 351 497 23 158 · Fax +49 (0) 351 497 23 119
[hidden email] · www.ottogroup.com <http://www.ottogroup.com/>

Re: Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

Thomas Porschberg
I solved the problem with http://www.mvnbrowser.com

and

<repository>
 <id>glassfish</id>
 <name>Maven Repository Glassfish</name>
 <layout>default</layout>
 <url>http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish</url>
 <snapshots>
   <enabled>false</enabled>
 </snapshots>
</repository>

Thomas

Am Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:00:01 +0200
schrieb Thomas Porschberg <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm now in chapter 6 of "Java EE 6 Platform with GlassFish 3"
> and I try to build the example with mvn.
>
> In my pom.xml there is:

> <dependency>
>  <groupId>org.glassfish</groupId>
>  <artifactId>javax.ejb</artifactId>
>  <version>3.0</version>
> </dependency>
> <dependency>
>  <groupId>org.glassfish.embedded</groupId>
>  <artifactId>glassfish-embedded-all</artifactId>
>  <version>3.0</version>
>  <scope>test</scope>
> </dependency>
>
> but a "mvn package" gives me:
>

> Downloading:
> http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?r=1&nf=1&file=/rt/eclipselink/maven.repo/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
> [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
> repository EclipseLink Repo
> (http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?r=1&nf=1&file=/rt/eclipselink/maven.repo)
> Downloading:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
> [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
> repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2) Downloading:
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
> [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
> repository maven2-repository.dev.java.net
> (http://download.java.net/maven/2)
>
> Is there a maven2 repository outside which provides the glassfish
> jars?
>
> I have also a running glassfish server on my machine but is it the
> right way to install the jars manually?
>
> Best regards
> Thomas

Thomas Porschberg
Otto Group · GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden (GTP)
Softwareentwickler · Lokale Logistik · FI-IS-LL

GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden GmbH · Freiberger Straße 35 · 01067
Dresden Telefon +49 (0) 351 497 23 158 · Fax +49 (0) 351 497 23 119
[hidden email] · www.ottogroup.com <http://www.ottogroup.com/>

Re: Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

stephenconnolly
I am going to state this once and only once:

    "Friends don't let friends use the java.net maven repositories" (at
least without protection (e.g. a maven repository manager))

It's fine for following a tutorial, but don't keep the bad habit when you
start writing real code.

-Stephen

P.S.
  the reason why you should not use the java.net repos is that they do not
have/enforce the following policies:
    * immutability of releases
    * single origin of artifacts (i.e. if a GAV coordinate exists on
central, then the artifact at that GAV should either not be present in the
java.net repo (preferred) or else it should be exactly, byte for byte, the
same as the artifact on central (less preferred))
    * other process issues too complex to explain to somebody new to maven

On 1 July 2010 07:38, Thomas Porschberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I solved the problem with http://www.mvnbrowser.com
>
> and
>
> <repository>
>  <id>glassfish</id>
>  <name>Maven Repository Glassfish</name>
>  <layout>default</layout>
>  <url>http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish</url>
>  <snapshots>
>   <enabled>false</enabled>
>  </snapshots>
> </repository>
>
> Thomas
>
> Am Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:00:01 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Porschberg <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm now in chapter 6 of "Java EE 6 Platform with GlassFish 3"
> > and I try to build the example with mvn.
> >
> > In my pom.xml there is:

> > <dependency>
> >  <groupId>org.glassfish</groupId>
> >  <artifactId>javax.ejb</artifactId>
> >  <version>3.0</version>
> > </dependency>
> > <dependency>
> >  <groupId>org.glassfish.embedded</groupId>
> >  <artifactId>glassfish-embedded-all</artifactId>
> >  <version>3.0</version>
> >  <scope>test</scope>
> > </dependency>
> >
> > but a "mvn package" gives me:
> >

> > Downloading:
> >
> http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?r=1&nf=1&file=/rt/eclipselink/maven.repo/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
> > [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
> > repository EclipseLink Repo
> > (
> http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?r=1&nf=1&file=/rt/eclipselink/maven.repo
> )
> > Downloading:
> >
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
> > [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
> > repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2) Downloading:
> >
> http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/glassfish/javax.ejb/3.0/javax.ejb-3.0.pom
> > [INFO] Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0' in
> > repository maven2-repository.dev.java.net
> > (http://download.java.net/maven/2)
> >
> > Is there a maven2 repository outside which provides the glassfish
> > jars?
> >
> > I have also a running glassfish server on my machine but is it the
> > right way to install the jars manually?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Thomas

> Thomas Porschberg
> Otto Group · GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden (GTP)
> Softwareentwickler · Lokale Logistik · FI-IS-LL
>
> GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden GmbH · Freiberger Straße 35 · 01067
> Dresden Telefon +49 (0) 351 497 23 158 · Fax +49 (0) 351 497 23 119
> [hidden email] · www.ottogroup.com <http://www.ottogroup.com/>

Re: Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

Mark Struberg
to back Stephens word: it's even worse - they recently dropped 'old' JSF-1 artifacts from their repo without any noticing...

So really only use the java.net maven repo via a repo manager like Nexus or Archiva.

LieGrue,
strub

    *
> [...]

> machine but is it the
> > right way to install the jars
> manually?
> >
> > Best regards
> > Thomas

> Thomas
> Porschberg
> Otto Group · GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden (GTP)
>
> Softwareentwickler · Lokale Logistik · FI-IS-LL
>

> GroupTechnologyPartner - Dresden GmbH · Freiberger Straße 35 · 01067
>
> Dresden Telefon +49 (0) 351 497 23 158 · Fax +49 (0) 351 497 23 119
>
> ymailto="mailto:[hidden email]"
> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email] ·
> href="http://www.ottogroup.com">www.ottogroup.com
> <http://www.ottogroup.com/>

> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]
>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]

Re: Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

Well I consider that to fall under immutability of releases:

1. don't delete released artifacts (except possibly when there are legal
issues)
2. don't change released artifacts.

But I did not know about that example!

-Stephen

On 1 July 2010 09:31, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> to back Stephens word: it's even worse - they recently dropped 'old' JSF-1
> artifacts from their repo without any noticing...
>
> So really only use the java.net maven repo via a repo manager like Nexus
> or Archiva.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Jörg Schaible
Mark Struberg wrote:

> to back Stephens word: it's even worse - they recently dropped 'old' JSF-1
> artifacts from their repo without any noticing...

It's not the first time I wished that they would not even *try* to provide a
Maven repo ...

> So really only use the java.net maven repo via a repo manager like Nexus
> or Archiva.

- Jörg

Re: Unable to find resource 'org.glassfish:javax.ejb:pom:3.0'

Thomas Porschberg

Ok, I understand your concerns but what would be a reliable repository
which provides:

>snip
Missing:
----------
1) org.glassfish.embedded:glassfish-embedded-all:jar:3.0
>snip

?

Thomas

Am Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:41:13 +0100
schrieb Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>:

> Well I consider that to fall under immutability of releases:
>
> 1. don't delete released artifacts (except possibly when there are
> legal issues)
> 2. don't change released artifacts.
>
> But I did not know about that example!
>
> -Stephen
>
> On 1 July 2010 09:31, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > to back Stephens word: it's even worse - they recently dropped
> > 'old' JSF-1 artifacts from their repo without any noticing...
> >
> > So really only use the java.net maven repo via a repo manager like
> > Nexus or Archiva.
> >
> > LieGrue,
> > strub

I think org.glassfish.embedded:glassfish-embedded-all:jar is obsolete
now, e.g. javax.ejb.embeddable.EJBContainer is contained in
javax.ejb.jar.
I drop the entry from my <dependency> list and it worked.

However the question how to get reliable maven repositories is still
important for me.

Thomas

Am Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:03:40 +0200
schrieb Thomas Porschberg <[hidden email]>:

> Ok, I understand your concerns but what would be a reliable repository
> which provides:
>
> >snip
> Missing:
> ----------
> 1) org.glassfish.embedded:glassfish-embedded-all:jar:3.0
> >snip
>
> ?
>
> Thomas
>
> Am Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:41:13 +0100
> schrieb Stephen Connolly <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Well I consider that to fall under immutability of releases:
> >
> > 1. don't delete released artifacts (except possibly when there are
> > legal issues)
> > 2. don't change released artifacts.
> >
> > But I did not know about that example!
> >
> > -Stephen
> >
> > On 1 July 2010 09:31, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > to back Stephens word: it's even worse - they recently dropped
> > > 'old' JSF-1 artifacts from their repo without any noticing...
> > >
> > > So really only use the java.net maven repo via a repo manager like
> > > Nexus or Archiva.
> > >
> > > LieGrue,
> > > strub

If you need it for a company, then I would highly recommend a repository manager like Nexus or Archiva + a decent data backup for the accumulated repo.
You will route (<mirrorOf>) all your requests to public repos through your repo manager and thus it will 'cache' your artifacts. So even if the repo on java.net looses some artifacts, you will have a backup of it available in your companies repo manager.

This will not work for 'public' projects though...

LieGrue,
strub

> I think org.glassfish.embedded:glassfish-embedded-all:jar is obsolete
now,
> e.g. javax.ejb.embeddable.EJBContainer is contained in
javax.ejb.jar.
> drop the entry from my <dependency> list and it worked.

However the
> question how to get reliable maven repositories is still
important for
> me.

Thomas

Am Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:03:40 +0200
schrieb
> Thomas Porschberg <
> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]>:

> Ok, I understand your concerns but what would be a reliable
> repository
> which provides:
>
> >snip
>
> Missing:
> ----------
> 1)
> org.glassfish.embedded:glassfish-embedded-all:jar:3.0
> >snip
>

> ?
>
> Thomas
>
> Am Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:41:13
> +0100
> schrieb Stephen Connolly <
> ymailto="mailto:[hidden email]"
> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]>:
>

> > Well I consider that to fall under immutability of
> releases:
> >
> > 1. don't delete released artifacts (except
> possibly when there are
> > legal issues)
> > 2. don't change
> released artifacts.
> >
> > But I did not know about that
> example!
> >
> > -Stephen
> >
> > On 1
> July 2010 09:31, Mark Struberg <
> href="mailto:[hidden email]">[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > to back Stephens word: it's even worse - they recently
> dropped
> > > 'old' JSF-1 artifacts from their repo without any
> noticing...
> > >
> > > So really only use the
> target="_blank" href="http://java.net">java.net maven repo via a repo
> manager like