Unable to do a release with Java 9

Russell Gold-3
This is the first time I have tried doing a release since the -ea designator was removed from Java 9.

I have upgraded the enforcer and javadoc plugins to 3.0.0-M1
I have filed a bug <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MSITE-794> against the site plugin

But when I try to close the uploaded repository in Nexus, it fails, complaining that the public key is missing. I see no recent updates to the gpg plugin.

Has anybody succeeded in doing a release with Java 9 (build 175 or higher)?

Thanks,
Russ

Re: Unable to do a release with Java 9

Robert Scholte-6
Hi Russ,

a quick scan of the code and the dependencies of the maven-gpg-plugin
suggests there's no need for any changes; this should work with Java 9 as
well.
MSITE-794 is actually a maven-javadoc-plugin issue which has been fixed.
Looks like one of the report plugin is picking up an older version of this
plugin.

And I haven't done any releases yet with Java 9. We're testing it, but
personally I am waiting for an official release before pushing something
with it to Central.

Anyhow, I think we need more info. I would expect at least some logging
when the signing would fail.

thanks,
Robert

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 19:21:13 +0200, Russell Gold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is the first time I have tried doing a release since the -ea
> designator was removed from Java 9.
>
> I have upgraded the enforcer and javadoc plugins to 3.0.0-M1
> I have filed a bug <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MSITE-794>
> against the site plugin
>
> But when I try to close the uploaded repository in Nexus, it fails,
> complaining that the public key is missing. I see no recent updates to
> the gpg plugin.
>
> Has anybody succeeded in doing a release with Java 9 (build 175 or
> higher)?
>
> Thanks,
> Russ

Re: Unable to do a release with Java 9

Russell Gold-3
Thanks, Robert.

I’ve done some further experimentation, and was able to upload a repository for a different project to a different repository successfully. I’m not yet sure what the problem is - the repository? Something in the configuration? I’ll have to try some things.

I’d actually upgraded the javadoc plugin, but the site plugin appears to be picking up an older one. I suspect that if the site plugin or the master POM isn’t updated, a lot of people will start running into this. I’m just at the front of it because my project includes an MR jar and needs Java 9.

Thanks,
Russ