Tycho and Maven Dependency Plugin

Max Spring
I want to create a "distribution" of a set of Eclipse plugins which I
build with Tycho.
Ideally Tycho could sweep all artifacts transitively following all
dependencies.
It appears to me that Tycho & maven-dependency-plugin (using the
copy-dependencies goal) don't do that.
How can I still do what I want?
Thanks!
-Max

Re: Tycho and Maven Dependency Plugin

Igor Fedorenko-3
Max,

Tycho does not directly support packaging distributions at the moment.
We have this on our todo list, but it has not been prioritized/scheduled
yet.

Couple of things you may want to try.

Have you considered using eclipse rcp application to define all bundles
your distribution needs? It is not as convenient, but you should be able
to add all required relatively easy.

Also, Tycho injects Eclipse/OSGi into maven model and theory
maven-dependency-plugin is expected to work. I just checked that
dependency:tree does work, at least for a sample eclipse-plugin project.
  I can look at copy-dependencies goals if you want (I'd need a sample
project, though).

Sorry, but this is the best I can offer at the moment.

Igor

Max Spring wrote:
> I want to create a "distribution" of a set of Eclipse plugins which I
> build with Tycho.
> Ideally Tycho could sweep all artifacts transitively following all
> dependencies.
> It appears to me that Tycho & maven-dependency-plugin (using the
> copy-dependencies goal) don't do that.
> How can I still do what I want?
> Thanks!
> -Max

Re: Tycho and Maven Dependency Plugin

Max Spring
Igor,

thanks for the quick response.  My comments are embedded down below.

On 12/4/2008 1:24 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:

> Max,
>
> Tycho does not directly support packaging distributions at the moment.
> We have this on our todo list, but it has not been
> prioritized/scheduled yet.
>
> Couple of things you may want to try.
>
> Have you considered using eclipse rcp application to define all
> bundles your distribution needs? It is not as convenient, but you
> should be able to add all required relatively easy.
Yes, but I really would like to stay away from this.

> Also, Tycho injects Eclipse/OSGi into maven model and theory
> maven-dependency-plugin is expected to work. I just checked that
> dependency:tree does work, at least for a sample eclipse-plugin
> project.  I can look at copy-dependencies goals if you want (I'd need
> a sample project, though).
It works for immediate (OSGi) dependencies, but not transitively.
BTW, the (OSGi) dependencies are reported to be of scope 'system' by
dependency:tree.

> Sorry, but this is the best I can offer at the moment.
Sure. No problem.

-Max

Max Spring wrote:

> Igor,
>
> thanks for the quick response.  My comments are embedded down below.
>
> On 12/4/2008 1:24 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
>> Max,
>>
>> Tycho does not directly support packaging distributions at the moment.
>> We have this on our todo list, but it has not been
>> prioritized/scheduled yet.
>>
>> Couple of things you may want to try.
>>
>> Have you considered using eclipse rcp application to define all
>> bundles your distribution needs? It is not as convenient, but you
>> should be able to add all required relatively easy.
> Yes, but I really would like to stay away from this.
>>
>> Also, Tycho injects Eclipse/OSGi into maven model and theory
>> maven-dependency-plugin is expected to work. I just checked that
>> dependency:tree does work, at least for a sample eclipse-plugin
>> project.  I can look at copy-dependencies goals if you want (I'd need
>> a sample project, though).
> It works for immediate (OSGi) dependencies, but not transitively.
> BTW, the (OSGi) dependencies are reported to be of scope 'system' by
> dependency:tree.

Yes, you're right, I forgot that OSGi dependency resolution is not
transitive. FYI, dependencies injected by tycho have system scope for
bundles/features that come from the target platform and provided scope
for inter-module dependencies specifically to suppress maven transitive
dependency resolution.

On 12/4/2008 7:09 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
 > Max Spring wrote:
 >> On 12/4/2008 1:24 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
 >>> Also, Tycho injects Eclipse/OSGi into maven model and theory
 >>> maven-dependency-plugin is expected to work. I just checked that
 >>> dependency:tree does work, at least for a sample eclipse-plugin
project.  I
 >>> can look at copy-dependencies goals if you want (I'd need a sample
project,
 >>> though).
 >>
 >> It works for immediate (OSGi) dependencies, but not transitively.
BTW, the
 >> (OSGi) dependencies are reported to be of scope 'system' by
dependency:tree.

 > Yes, you're right, I forgot that OSGi dependency resolution is not
 > transitive. FYI, dependencies injected by tycho have system scope for
 > bundles/features that come from the target platform and provided
scope for
 > inter-module dependencies specifically to suppress maven transitive
 > dependency resolution.

Is the plan to eventually have the maven-dependency-plugin also follow OSGi
dependencies transitively?

I guess in the meantime I write my own resolver which sweeps artifacts
following all dependencies.

-Max

Re: Tycho and Maven Dependency Plugin

Igor Fedorenko-3
If I remember it correctly, originally tycho was injecting "standard"
maven dependencies and this was causing problems specifically because
maven resolver was re-resolving them transitively. As I already
mentioned, we plan to add support for packaging eclipse distribution,
but we have not considered making maven-dependency-plugin (or similar)
work with transitive OSGi dependencies.

Max Spring wrote:

> On 12/4/2008 7:09 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
>  > Max Spring wrote:
>  >> On 12/4/2008 1:24 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
>  >>> Also, Tycho injects Eclipse/OSGi into maven model and theory
>  >>> maven-dependency-plugin is expected to work. I just checked that
>  >>> dependency:tree does work, at least for a sample eclipse-plugin
> project.  I
>  >>> can look at copy-dependencies goals if you want (I'd need a sample
> project,
>  >>> though).
>  >>
>  >> It works for immediate (OSGi) dependencies, but not transitively.
> BTW, the
>  >> (OSGi) dependencies are reported to be of scope 'system' by
> dependency:tree.
>  >
>  > Yes, you're right, I forgot that OSGi dependency resolution is not
>  > transitive. FYI, dependencies injected by tycho have system scope for
>  > bundles/features that come from the target platform and provided
> scope for
>  > inter-module dependencies specifically to suppress maven transitive
>  > dependency resolution.
>
> Is the plan to eventually have the maven-dependency-plugin also follow OSGi
> dependencies transitively?
>
> I guess in the meantime I write my own resolver which sweeps artifacts
> following all dependencies.
>
> -Max

Re: Tycho and Maven Dependency Plugin

tniirane
This post was updated on .
What is the situation of this distribution feature? I am really interested in this! It is a bit over 4 years now from the latest reply. :)

Or do I just copy the binaries from Continues Integration machine local Maven repository for example with maven-dependency-copy plugin?