The Chicken-Egg problem with Maven Wrapper and Maven Wrapper Plugin

The Chicken-Egg problem with Maven Wrapper and Maven Wrapper Plugin

rfscholte
Now that maven-wrapper is available in master of maven-core, the next step would be to make it easy to use.
I've created MNG-6917[1] to make it possible to simply call {{mvn wrapper}}
However, this requires the plugin to be available.
On the other hand, the plugin must be able to download the apache-maven-wrapper distribution.

So I want to release the plugin first, so in Maven Core we can refer to a version we can confirm to work.
It has been written from scratch, but is quite small.

I want to give everybody the chance to give it a try this week, while I will work on the documentation.
Next weekend I want to perform a release of the plugin (starting with 3.0.0)

Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6917

Re: The Chicken-Egg problem with Maven Wrapper and Maven Wrapper Plugin

rfscholte
Downloading by the plugin works different compared to the takari-maven-plugin.
The takari-maven-plugin was downloading a URL, whereas the maven-wrapper-plugin is downloading an artifact using the artifact resolver libraries, so these are settings.xml-aware.
Would be nice to confirm this.

Robert

On 23-5-2020 16:24:22, Falko Modler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Robert,

this is slightly offtopic but since you wrote:
> On the other hand, the plugin must be able to download the apache-maven-wrapper distribution.
Is this integration into Maven also adressing proxy handling for the
download?

I am asking because I had to add special handling to Quarkus to get the
proxy from settings applied to the download (via system properties):
- https://github.com/quarkusio/quarkus/issues/2219
- https://github.com/quarkusio/quarkus/pull/8431/files

Quarkus is/was not the only "victim" of this proxy handling, see also:
https://github.com/takari/takari-maven-plugin/issues/25

Thanks and best regards,

Falko