Quantcast

Test resources do not copy to output folder

Test resources do not copy to output folder

Josh Stone-2
I have a simple eclipse project managed by m2eclipse using the standard layout from the maven super POM. In eclipse I have build automatically turned on, and while my main/resources are copying to the classes folder just fine, my test/resources are not copying to test-classes as expected. Why might this be?

Thanks,
Josh

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Igor Fedorenko-3
File a bug with sample project and steps to reproduce the problem.

Beware of https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-823 which boils
down to bad interference between JDT and M2E builders for projects using
default lifecycle mapping. [1] shows how to configure custom lifecycle
mapping for your project.

[1] https://docs.sonatype.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2949459

Igor

Josh Stone wrote:
> I have a simple eclipse project managed by m2eclipse using the standard
> layout from the maven super POM. In eclipse I have build automatically
> turned on, and while my main/resources are copying to the classes folder
> just fine, my test/resources are not copying to test-classes as
> expected. Why might this be?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Bouiaw
As you can see it on the mailing list, a LOT of people are concerned
by this resource copy issue.

Do you plan to fix it on 0.10.1 with no additional configuration
needed or will we have to always use this pom.xml configuration tweak
? The JIRA issue comments are not very clear about that.

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Igor Fedorenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> File a bug with sample project and steps to reproduce the problem.
>
> Beware of https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-823 which boils
> down to bad interference between JDT and M2E builders for projects using
> default lifecycle mapping. [1] shows how to configure custom lifecycle
> mapping for your project.
>
> [1] https://docs.sonatype.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=2949459

> Igor
>
> Josh Stone wrote:
>>
>> I have a simple eclipse project managed by m2eclipse using the standard
>> layout from the maven super POM. In eclipse I have build automatically
>> turned on, and while my main/resources are copying to the classes folder
>> just fine, my test/resources are not copying to test-classes as expected.
>> Why might this be?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Jason van Zyl-2
We could probably provide some short cut to add it, but there is nothing to fix. We can't just guess what everyone's configuration is going to be. All you need to do is put that configuration in a parent POM if you want to share with all your projects.

We could probably make this easier to setup.

Josh Stone wrote:

I have a simple eclipse project managed by m2eclipse using the standard
layout from the maven super POM. In eclipse I have build automatically
turned on, and while my main/resources are copying to the classes folder
just fine, my test/resources are not copying to test-classes as expected.
Why might this be?

Thanks,
Josh

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Bouiaw
Could you explain us when we should use this tweak ?

It is not clear to me if this is mandatory for all projects, or if the
bug occurs only with some special pom.xml advanced configuration.

On May 7, 2010, at 8:00 PM, Bouiaw wrote:

Could you explain us when we should use this tweak ?

It is not clear to me if this is mandatory for all projects, or if the
bug occurs only with some special pom.xml advanced configuration.

As Igor explained it is an interaction between JDT and M2E when you use the default lifecycle mapping which is what you are likely using if you have not made a custom mapping.

You can copy what's there and it will work mostly likely or get you most of the way.

Josh Stone wrote:

[...]

To do two things at once is to do neither.

 -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Bouiaw
If I have understood what you and Igor said, by default, most of our
Maven Java projects  won't work by default.

Excuse me, but I don't understand what is the logic behind this.

m2eclipse is mostly used for Java project with default lifecycle.
Won't fixing MNGECLIPSE-823 and make mandatory the addition of a
tweaky profile in all our pom.xml in order to use properly m2eclipse
is something really weird.

Is this workaround temporary or final ?

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Founder,  Apache Maven
>
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

> You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
>
> No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
>
> They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
>
> dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
>
> dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
>
> goals are in doubt.
>
>   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> To do two things at once is to do neither.
>
>  -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

If you want something that works now, that's what you do to fix it today.

A general solution we don't know yet, it's not as simple as just turning it on by default for everyone.

Josh Stone wrote:

[...]

I will take a look next week and see what we can do to fix the average project. Looking at it right now I'm not sure how to do that categorically for every project that might be imported.

Josh Stone wrote:

[...]

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

 -- Buddha

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Bouiaw
Thanks.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
>
> Founder,  Apache Maven
>
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

> To do two things at once is to do neither.
>
>  -—Publilius Syrus, Roman slave, first century B.C.

>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
> believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
> or who has said it,
> not even if i have said it,
> unless it agrees with your own reason
> and your own common sense.
>
>  -- Buddha

Re: Test resources do not copy to output folder

Did you find a a way to get the right lifecycle configuration by default ?

Is it possile to have a status on 0.10.1?

On May 23, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Bouiaw wrote:

Did you find a a way to get the right lifecycle configuration by default ?

It will take a few days of work which we will try to schedule in the next few weeks.

We're going to do an iteration or two of fixing in M2Eclipse before we release the 1.0.

Is it possile to have a status on 0.10.1?

In the next week or two most likely.

Josh Stone wrote:

[...]

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition