Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

olamy
Hi,
It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
Maybe time for a new release?
Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?

cheers
Olivier Lamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Enrico Olivelli
+1
Enrico

Il gio 10 ott 2019, 06:40 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Anything user facing preventing to let it be a final?
>
> Anyway +1 to let fixes get out.
>
> Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 à 02:53, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> > It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
> > Maybe time for a new release?
> > Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?
> >
> > cheers
> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
I have to try to merge the fix because it avoids a situation when the VM
hanged. It is very important for the users.
The remaining fixes may go to M5.
I will adjust Jira release notes, oki?
I have time to cut the release, no problem. The only problem was to find
some spare time for coding the fixes.
I will try to be fast with the merge.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 1:17 PM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We can release now 3.0.0-M4 and then release later with your remaining
> fixes/new features.
> As far I know we do not have a fix release content we can easily move the
> remaining fixes to a 3.0.0-M5
> I'm happy to release it myself if you don't have time.
>
> On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 21:11, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I understood the wish from JUnit5 fans e.g. Olivier Lamy but still we
> have
> > important fixes for the stability and it is hard to find new developers.
> > I was thinking about this release/3.0.0-M4 and adding one more milestone
> > too but there is fix on my PC that I have a problem to merge without new
> > TCP/IP connector in Surefire.
> > We still have TCP/IP connector in progress...
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:11 AM Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > > Enrico
> > >
> > > Il gio 10 ott 2019, 06:40 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> ha

> écrit
> > :

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
>> It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
>> read the module descriptors.

thx for clarifying.

Am i right if I say that it would happen with J9/Toolchain used in Compiler
but J8 in the Maven build?
Is it realistic?
Maybe some people would do it due to some other plugins unreliable on J9+
WDYT?

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:44:48 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 13:33, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> >
> >> As far as I know, surefire won't touch the Plexus Java code that
> >> requires
> >> ASM.
> >> It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
> >> read the module descriptors.
> >>
> >> Maven Shade is a different case: it must parse the Java bytecode (and
> >> only
> >> when using minifyJar), hence it needs the latest ASM.
> >>

> > + Relocation ;)
>
> Well, the unexpected answer is actually No, see
>

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java
>
> (but it might be better to do so...)
>

> >> Robert
> >>
> >> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:35:05 +0200, Tibor Digana
> >> <[hidden email]>

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
Pls don't do it.
I will cut it and move some issues to M5 but I need Matt to finish his
work. I am in contact with Mat.
I talked about it with the contributor Jonathan Bell about reasoning.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> Starting again this thread as we agreed but I didn't do it.
> So I'd like to cut release 3.0.0-M4 by the end of this week.
>

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 11:40, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The SUREFIRE-1689 progress has been finished until the CI build succeeds.
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Ah, there it is :)

> > thread
> > > >

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/DefaultShader.java#L453

> [hidden email]>

> > > need

> > (and

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java

> fixed.

> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

olamy
Why? delay again
I thought 1 month ago we agreed ago to move non finished stuff to 3.0.0-M5
and release 3.0.0-M5 later.

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 20:59, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pls don't do it.
> I will cut it and move some issues to M5 but I need Matt to finish his
> work. I am in contact with Mat.
> I talked about it with the contributor Jonathan Bell about reasoning.
>
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Starting again this thread as we agreed but I didn't do it.
> > So I'd like to cut release 3.0.0-M4 by the end of this week.
> >

> > On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 11:40, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > The SUREFIRE-1689 progress has been finished until the CI build
> succeeds.

> > > thread
> > > > >

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/DefaultShader.java#L453

> > [hidden email]>

> that

> bytecode
> > > (and

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java

> [hidden email]

> > fixed.

> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Olivier Lamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
@Tibor: point is more that we don't need to hold a milestone for a feature,
we can just release and let fixes get out and get this huge architectural
change in another milestone. Only valid reason to delay a release is IMO a
regression or a major change we can't revert later (3.0.0 would be in this
bucket, not a milestone).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Le lun. 11 nov. 2019 à 16:54, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> The reason of M4 was to introduce TCP communication.
> Meanwhile first we wanted to cut the release one month ago but we postponed
> it and we were waiting for clarifying license issues and fixed J13 issue
> yesterday.
> I was working on TCP/Pipes together with Jonathan Bell and we wanted to
> make it in M4 which was our plan but we still have only 35% of the total
> work and there are several things which are too detailed to mention. So
> this has to continue and my estimation is that we need to spend 20 days. We
> were working on it quite intensively in the background created few PRs and
> moved the code from one PR to another and clarified it.
> Yesterday I proposed to Jonathan that it does not make sense to work on our
> taks like a hell because it would prolong the development which would take
> too long.
> So this is the whole reason, otherwise we could already include TCP/Pipes
> into M4.
>

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 2:29 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 to release next week, no reason to wait since it is another "m"
> release
> > IMHO
> >
> > Le lun. 11 nov. 2019 à 12:44, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > > That will be great.
> > > If you don't have time before end of the week. I'm happy to help and do
> > it.
> > > cheers
> > > Olivier

> > delay!

> finish
> > > his
> > reasoning.

> > [hidden email]

> build

> > in
> > > > > > > > > >

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/DefaultShader.java#L453

> Java
> > > code
> lower
> > > AND

> Java

> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java

> > > 7.0.
> 7.2.
> > > > > > > > > >> >> >
> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29

> > [hidden email]
> > > [hidden email]

> > [hidden email]

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
@Tibor: I'd like to gently remind you that we - asf - are community driven
and holding a release is generally bad if it does not bite us after which
is the case there. As mentionned by Olivier we already agreed to release
and it got delayed for no reason compared to the original agreement. Please
understand this is not about the work you are doing - we can discuss it at
another moment since, as you mentionned we don't fully agree here, but the
point there was totally different and user centric. Please take care to
re-read and see you just forked that thread alone. No big deal while the
release pops up next week but no need to start an argument too ;).

Romain Manni-Bucau