Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

Elliotte Rusty Harold
I think we've achieved consensus that Maven 3.0.x should no longer be
supported by new plugin releases and 3.1.x is our minimum. Assuming
that's true, this PR updates the history page to account for that:

https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/176

If anyone thinks we have not achieved consensus, or should not
announce that 3.0.x is end of life, please say so.

As always, please also comment on exact language of the PR, markup
syntax, and other pages that need to be updated. Thanks.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

Tibor Digana
Thx that you have made this.
yes, i also understood a general acceptance of this proposal.
let's push this soon.

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 5:26 PM Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think we've achieved consensus that Maven 3.0.x should no longer be
> supported by new plugin releases and 3.1.x is our minimum. Assuming
> that's true, this PR updates the history page to account for that:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/176
>
> If anyone thinks we have not achieved consensus, or should not
> announce that 3.0.x is end of life, please say so.
>
> As always, please also comment on exact language of the PR, markup
> syntax, and other pages that need to be updated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

To me these are 2 different things.
Yes, we are going to require Maven 3.1 for our plugins (and because of API changes we need to be explicit about this), but that doesn't mean that Maven 3.0.x itself is end of life.

Depending on how you ask the question, to me EOLs are either about majors or minors.
It is clear to me we won't do anything for Maven 2 anymore.
At the same time, I expect we will never do a 3.3.10 or 3.5.5.

I don't know what people expect by a statement about EOL: nobody has a support contract for Maven, so talking about EOL doesn't make any sense to me.
It all depends on what critical issue may appear, based on that we'll make our decision.
To me it is either: EOL for Maven2 and/or with every new release the previous will be marked as EOL.

Robert

On 13-6-2020 17:26:15, Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think we've achieved consensus that Maven 3.0.x should no longer be
supported by new plugin releases and 3.1.x is our minimum. Assuming
that's true, this PR updates the history page to account for that:

https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/176

If anyone thinks we have not achieved consensus, or should not
announce that 3.0.x is end of life, please say so.

As always, please also comment on exact language of the PR, markup
syntax, and other pages that need to be updated. Thanks.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

rfscholte
Every plugin has its freedom to choose its minimum.
If for some reason Maven 3.2.x broke something that is required by the plugin, the solution is to change the requirement of the plugin, and not to fix it with a backport of Maven 3.2.x

I see https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274 [https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274] contains references to the history page, that was a misleading action.
Surefire has the option to decide Maven 3.1 will be the new minimum.
Instead we should add a column to https://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html [https://maven.apache.org/plugins/index.html] with the Maven compatibilty.

As said by Olivier, in case of a blocking security issue, we might be forced to do a security release of every 3.n release.

So I'd prefer to leave the history page as it is.
If people want an official statement, I can write one to make clear what the difference is between EOL and minimum support.

thanks,
Robert

On 15-6-2020 17:13:35, Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
My concern is PRs like this one to restore Maven 3.0.5 compatibility
to surefire:

https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274

I think we should have a clearly stated policy that we're no longer
going to expend effort supporting Maven 3.0.x in our plugins. By
contrast, we are currently planning to continue support for Maven
3.1.x+ in the various plugins.

There are now multiple +1's on this PR. Can I proceed?

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Robert Scholte wrote:

> To me these are 2 different things.
> Yes, we are going to require Maven 3.1 for our plugins (and because of API changes we need to be explicit about this), but that doesn't mean that Maven 3.0.x itself is end of life.
>
> Depending on how you ask the question, to me EOLs are either about majors or minors.
> It is clear to me we won't do anything for Maven 2 anymore.
> At the same time, I expect we will never do a 3.3.10 or 3.5.5.
>
> I don't know what people expect by a statement about EOL: nobody has a support contract for Maven, so talking about EOL doesn't make any sense to me.
> It all depends on what critical issue may appear, based on that we'll make our decision.
> To me it is either: EOL for Maven2 and/or with every new release the previous will be marked as EOL.
>
> Robert
>

> On 13-6-2020 17:26:15, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
> I think we've achieved consensus that Maven 3.0.x should no longer be
> supported by new plugin releases and 3.1.x is our minimum. Assuming
> that's true, this PR updates the history page to account for that:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/176
>
> If anyone thinks we have not achieved consensus, or should not
> announce that 3.0.x is end of life, please say so.
>
> As always, please also comment on exact language of the PR, markup
> syntax, and other pages that need to be updated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Elliotte Rusty Harold