Stuck with svn diff and multiple patches

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stuck with svn diff and multiple patches

Allan Lang-3
Hi

I'm trying to fix up the VSS provider and have already submitted a  
couple of patches, which haven't yet been incorporated into the SVN  
repository. My problem is that as I continue with the development  
work, I'm having trouble separating out the various pieces of work  
into separate patch files (I'm new to using svn diff).

Am I just making my life difficult trying to do things as separate  
patches? Should I be working on everything I want to fix, and then  
submitting one uber-patch?

At the moment I feel that getting my previous patches checked in  
would help me a lot to stop getting confused, but that seems like a  
slow process.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Allan
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stuck with svn diff and multiple patches

Emmanuel Venisse-2


Allan Lang a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to fix up the VSS provider and have already submitted a
> couple of patches, which haven't yet been incorporated into the SVN
> repository. My problem is that as I continue with the development work,
> I'm having trouble separating out the various pieces of work into
> separate patch files (I'm new to using svn diff).
>
> Am I just making my life difficult trying to do things as separate
> patches? Should I be working on everything I want to fix, and then
> submitting one uber-patch?

As we don't have lot of contribution on this provider, if you prefer, you can do a big patch. Please add some explanations about it in the issue when you'll attach your patch.

>
> At the moment I feel that getting my previous patches checked in would
> help me a lot to stop getting confused, but that seems like a slow process.

Actually, it is a slow process because I have lot of work to do on other projects and don't find time to review your patches. I'll do it asap.

Emmanuel

>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks,
> Allan
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stuck with svn diff and multiple patches

Allan Lang-2
Thanks Emmanuel

I understand how hard it is to find time to look at these things, so  
I think it would be easier for both of us if I just made a single  
large patch. In this case you should probably ignore my previous  
patch submissions for now.

Just to let you know, I've found that some of the VSS provider  
command implementations appear just to be copy-pasted from other  
providers, and would not actually work for VSS in their current form.  
This is part of the reason why it's turning out to be a bigger job  
than I first thought!

Cheers,
Allan

On 14 Sep 2007, at 22:57, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:

>
>
> Allan Lang a écrit :
>> Hi
>> I'm trying to fix up the VSS provider and have already submitted a  
>> couple of patches, which haven't yet been incorporated into the  
>> SVN repository. My problem is that as I continue with the  
>> development work, I'm having trouble separating out the various  
>> pieces of work into separate patch files (I'm new to using svn diff).
>> Am I just making my life difficult trying to do things as separate  
>> patches? Should I be working on everything I want to fix, and then  
>> submitting one uber-patch?
>
> As we don't have lot of contribution on this provider, if you  
> prefer, you can do a big patch. Please add some explanations about  
> it in the issue when you'll attach your patch.
>
>> At the moment I feel that getting my previous patches checked in  
>> would help me a lot to stop getting confused, but that seems like  
>> a slow process.
>
> Actually, it is a slow process because I have lot of work to do on  
> other projects and don't find time to review your patches. I'll do  
> it asap.
>
> Emmanuel
>
>> Any hints?
>> Thanks,
>> Allan
>