Strange NoSuchMethodError in plugin, any idea?

Strange NoSuchMethodError in plugin, any idea?

Thomas Broyer-2
Hi all,

A net.ltgt.gwt.maven:gwt-maven-plugin user reported to me today [1] that
after updating the plugin from the latest release to the latest snapshot,
he faces a NoSuchMethodError on
org.codehaus.plexus.util.StringUtils.isBlank(Ljava/lang/String;)Z. Between
the two tested versions, I updated org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils from
3.0.21 to 3.1.0 [2], but that method has been present in plexus-utils
unchanged for 10 years [3].

Anyone has an idea what happens? And/or how to debug it? (I suggested
running Maven with debug logs and look at how Maven populates the class
realm for the plugin)

[1]
https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/issues/95#issuecomment-335448533
[2]
https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/compare/1.0-rc-8...92d27f6#diff-600376dffeb79835ede4a0b285078036
[3]
https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-utils/blame/ac81ee2dfc757a27d3e7a5315a65822f3033ec00/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/util/StringUtils.java#L202

Re: Strange NoSuchMethodError in plugin, any idea?

Anders Hammar
You could try to downgrade just the plexus-utils dependency of the plugin
by having the user adding a dependency of the old version of the
plexus-utils to the new version of the plugin (in his project pom). I'm
guessing it will still fail which indicates that the upgrade of that plugin
dependency is not the culprit.

/Anders

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Thomas Broyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A net.ltgt.gwt.maven:gwt-maven-plugin user reported to me today [1] that
> after updating the plugin from the latest release to the latest snapshot,
> he faces a NoSuchMethodError on
> org.codehaus.plexus.util.StringUtils.isBlank(Ljava/lang/String;)Z. Between
> the two tested versions, I updated org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils from
> 3.0.21 to 3.1.0 [2], but that method has been present in plexus-utils
> unchanged for 10 years [3].
>
> Anyone has an idea what happens? And/or how to debug it? (I suggested
> running Maven with debug logs and look at how Maven populates the class
> realm for the plugin)
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/issues/95#
> issuecomment-335448533
> [2]
> https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/compare/1.0-
> rc-8...92d27f6#diff-600376dffeb79835ede4a0b285078036
> [3]
> https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-utils/blame/
> ac81ee2dfc757a27d3e7a5315a65822f3033ec00/src/main/java/org/
> codehaus/plexus/util/StringUtils.java#L202

Re: Strange NoSuchMethodError in plugin, any idea?

My guess would be a corrupt jar

Robert

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:51:34 +0200, Thomas Broyer <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A net.ltgt.gwt.maven:gwt-maven-plugin user reported to me today [1] that
> after updating the plugin from the latest release to the latest snapshot,
> he faces a NoSuchMethodError on
> org.codehaus.plexus.util.StringUtils.isBlank(Ljava/lang/String;)Z.
> Between
> the two tested versions, I updated org.codehaus.plexus:plexus-utils from
> 3.0.21 to 3.1.0 [2], but that method has been present in plexus-utils
> unchanged for 10 years [3].
>
> Anyone has an idea what happens? And/or how to debug it? (I suggested
> running Maven with debug logs and look at how Maven populates the class
> realm for the plugin)
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/issues/95#issuecomment-335448533
> [2]
> https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/compare/1.0-rc-8...92d27f6#diff-600376dffeb79835ede4a0b285078036
> [3]
> https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-utils/blame/ac81ee2dfc757a27d3e7a5315a65822f3033ec00/src/main/java/org/codehaus/plexus/util/StringUtils.java#L202

Re: Strange NoSuchMethodError in plugin, any idea?

Thomas Broyer-2
Actually, from last comment [1], it looks more like a corrupt POM.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

[1]
https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-plugin/issues/95#issuecomment-335513263