Starting a pure Java 9 modular project

org.apache.maven.user
Hello.

With Java 9 due out in a few days time, I'm looking at moving all of my
60+ projects to Java 9. I have no intention of keeping support for any
version of Java less than 9, so the projects will become pure Java 9
(modularized) projects.

I'm curious as whether Java 9 changes any of the conventions that I've
been used to in Maven for the past five or so years. For example, one
thing I see frequently in Java 9 tutorials is that they use a
directory layout that differs from the Maven standard. For example,
consider this tutorial:

  https://dzone.com/articles/java-9-tutorial-step-by-step-from-zero-to-modules

The directory layout is "src/com.me.mymodule/module-info.java". This
obviously doesn't match the "src/main/java" convention that Maven uses.

Is the intention to map Maven modules 1:1 with Jigsaw modules? Or if
not 1:1, then perhaps "no more than one Jigsaw module per Maven module".

Is there documentation available anywhere that describes how new pure
Java 9 (multi-module!) projects should be set up?

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com

Re: Starting a pure Java 9 modular project

rfscholte
For every deliverable you will have one Maven project (and 1 pom.xml).
So for a Maven point of view it doesn't make sense to support the jigsaw
multi module option.

Here are the things you *DON'T* have to change:
- folder structure
- dependencies of your pom.xml (you don't specify which jars are modules
and which aren't, Maven will resolve that for you.

You only have to add the module-info.java to the source root and use at
least maven-compiler-plugin 3.7.0

thanks,
Robert