Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Marcin Waldowski-3
Hello.

I have a Multiple Module Projects (with top level POM and modules). One
of module has ear type (<packaging>ear</packaging>) and I don't want to
make eclipse project from it.

Is it possible to exclude this module from execution of
mvn eclipse:eclipse
in directory with top level POM?

Regards,
Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Nick Stolwijk-3
At the eclipse plugin site [1] I don't see such an option. But I don't
understand the problem you have with generating the .classpath en
.project files. Just don't import the project into Eclipse and all is
well, or not?

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
Marcin Waldowski wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a Multiple Module Projects (with top level POM and modules).
> One of module has ear type (<packaging>ear</packaging>) and I don't
> want to make eclipse project from it.
>
> Is it possible to exclude this module from execution of
> mvn eclipse:eclipse
> in directory with top level POM?
>
> Regards,
> Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Marcin Waldowski-3
Nick, thanks for your replay.

My problem is that 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' fail on ear module, because of
'[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact'. This missing artifact is other
module of my my multiple module project. It's weird, because 'mvn
package' works ok.

Meybe I rather need to concentrate why 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' fails on
ear module...

Regards, Marcin

Nick Stolwijk wrote:

> At the eclipse plugin site [1] I don't see such an option. But I don't
> understand the problem you have with generating the .classpath en
> .project files. Just don't import the project into Eclipse and all is
> well, or not?
>
> Hth,
>
> Nick Stolwijk
>

> [1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/
> Marcin Waldowski wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have a Multiple Module Projects (with top level POM and modules).
>> One of module has ear type (<packaging>ear</packaging>) and I don't
>> want to make eclipse project from it.
>>
>> Is it possible to exclude this module from execution of
>> mvn eclipse:eclipse
>> in directory with top level POM?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Heinrich Nirschl
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 12:13 +0200, Marcin Waldowski wrote:
> Nick, thanks for your replay.
>
> My problem is that 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' fail on ear module, because of
> '[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact'. This missing artifact is other
> module of my my multiple module project. It's weird, because 'mvn
> package' works ok.

Sometimes, you can work around this problem by running 'mvn install'
before.

- Henry

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Dan Tran
please vote for this enhencement request

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-271

On 6/21/07, Heinrich Nirschl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 12:13 +0200, Marcin Waldowski wrote:
> > Nick, thanks for your replay.
> >
> > My problem is that 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' fail on ear module, because of
> > '[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact'. This missing artifact is other
> > module of my my multiple module project. It's weird, because 'mvn
> > package' works ok.
> >

> Sometimes, you can work around this problem by running 'mvn install'
> before.
>
> - Henry

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Dan Tran
The patch for this enhancement has been applied.  The release of new eclipse
plugin is coming very soon.

-D

Dan Tran wrote:
> The patch for this enhancement has been applied.  The release of new
> eclipse
> plugin is coming very soon.
>
> -D

Great. Many thanks.

> On 6/21/07, Dan Tran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> please vote for this enhencement request
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-271

I would like to vote, but I'm afraid it is not possible. Jira says "You
cannot vote or change your vote on resolved issues" :-) Thank for your path.

Heinrich Nirschl wrote:

> Sometimes, you can work around this problem by running 'mvn install'
> before.
>
> - Henry

That's true. But I just want to provide functionality as simple as
possible to other people from my team, without explanation why they need
to run mvn install to make it work ;)

Thanks for your replay.

Regards, Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Marcin Waldowski-3
Hello.

I've returned to this subject :)

Now I use version 2.4 of maven-eclipse-plugin which gives me a
posibility to use 'skip' parameter. After making 'mvn
help:effective-pom' I can see for one of my module:
<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>
        <skip>true</skip>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

But when I executed 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' (in derictory with top level
POM) plugin did not skip one of my module.

What I did wrong?

Regards, Marcin

Marcin Waldowski wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a Multiple Module Projects (with top level POM and modules).
> One of module has ear type (<packaging>ear</packaging>) and I don't
> want to make eclipse project from it.
>
> Is it possible to exclude this module from execution of
> mvn eclipse:eclipse
> in directory with top level POM?
>
> Regards,
> Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Dan Tran
can you reproduce in a smaller set of projects?

On 8/28/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've returned to this subject :)
>
> Now I use version 2.4 of maven-eclipse-plugin which gives me a
> posibility to use 'skip' parameter. After making 'mvn
> help:effective-pom' I can see for one of my module:
> <plugin>
>    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>        <skip>true</skip>
>    </configuration>
> </plugin>
>
> But when I executed 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' (in derictory with top level
> POM) plugin did not skip one of my module.
>
> What I did wrong?
>
> Regards, Marcin
>

> Marcin Waldowski wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have a Multiple Module Projects (with top level POM and modules).
> > One of module has ear type (<packaging>ear</packaging>) and I don't
> > want to make eclipse project from it.
> >
> > Is it possible to exclude this module from execution of
> > mvn eclipse:eclipse
> > in directory with top level POM?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Marcin Waldowski-3
Dan, thanks for response.

I've reproduced it in two simple as possible module set. See atachement.
One is an ejb packaging project and the second is ear packaging project.
The second one use skip flag:
<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>
        <skip>true</skip>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

When I execute 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' for top level pom then ear
packaging project is not skipped.

Regards,
Marcin

example.zip (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Dan Tran
Marcin, I am not able to reproduce your issue at my side using your example.

the only thing i can think of is you are using the wrong eclipse
plugin version prior to 2.4.

you may want to define eclipse plugin at the top level pom with
version configured.
and you still need to configure skip individually per child project.

-D

On 8/28/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan, thanks for response.
>
> I've reproduced it in two simple as possible module set. See atachement.
> One is an ejb packaging project and the second is ear packaging project.
> The second one use skip flag:
> <plugin>
>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
>    <configuration>
>        <skip>true</skip>
>    </configuration>
> </plugin>
>
> When I execute 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' for top level pom then ear
> packaging project is not skipped.
>
> Regards,
> Marcin
>
> Dan Tran wrote:
> > can you reproduce in a smaller set of projects?
> >

> > On 8/28/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I've returned to this subject :)
> >>
> >> Now I use version 2.4 of maven-eclipse-plugin which gives me a
> >> posibility to use 'skip' parameter. After making 'mvn
> >> help:effective-pom' I can see for one of my module:
> >> <plugin>
> >>    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
> >>    <configuration>
> >>        <skip>true</skip>
> >>    </configuration>
> >> </plugin>
> >>
> >> But when I executed 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' (in derictory with top level
> >> POM) plugin did not skip one of my module.
> >>
> >> What I did wrong?
> >>
> >> Regards, Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Marcin Waldowski-3
Dan, thanks for checking my example.

I'm sure that I use 2.4 version. In debug mode I can see:

    [INFO] Building ejb3
    [DEBUG] Configuring mojo
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.4:eclipse' -->

But now I see that the problem is not around skipping module. In debug
output I can see line:

    [DEBUG] Configuring mojo
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.4:eclipse' -->

but this I can see only for ejb3 module. I cannot see it for ear module
because it fails before:

    [DEBUG] Unable to download the artifact from any repository
    Then, install it using the command:
        mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.company.app.appserver
-DartifactId=ejb3 \
            -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=ejb -Dfile=/path/to/file

It never fail when I execute 'mvn package'. But it fail during 'mvn
eclipse:eclipse'. That's why I decide to skip that module for mvn
eclipse:eclipse. Now I see that I cannot get rid of that problem by
skipping module, but I need to do something else.

The problem is that I have no idea why it fails during 'mvn
eclipse:eclipse'...

Regards,
Marcin

Dan Tran wrote:

> Marcin, I am not able to reproduce your issue at my side using your example.
>
> the only thing i can think of is you are using the wrong eclipse
> plugin version prior to 2.4.
>
> you may want to define eclipse plugin at the top level pom with
> version configured.
> and you still need to configure skip individually per child project.
>
> -D
>
> On 8/28/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dan, thanks for response.
>>
>> I've reproduced it in two simple as possible module set. See atachement.
>> One is an ejb packaging project and the second is ear packaging project.
>> The second one use skip flag:
>> <plugin>
>>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>>    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
>>    <configuration>
>>        <skip>true</skip>
>>    </configuration>
>> </plugin>
>>
>> When I execute 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' for top level pom then ear
>> packaging project is not skipped.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Dan Tran
I ran into the same thing, and ended up to run

   mvn install    first

then

  mvn eclipse:eclipse

-D

On 8/29/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dan, thanks for checking my example.
>
> I'm sure that I use 2.4 version. In debug mode I can see:
>
>    [INFO] Building ejb3
>    [DEBUG] Configuring mojo
> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.4:eclipse' -->
>
> But now I see that the problem is not around skipping module. In debug
> output I can see line:
>
>    [DEBUG] Configuring mojo
> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.4:eclipse' -->
>
> but this I can see only for ejb3 module. I cannot see it for ear module
> because it fails before:
>
>    [DEBUG] Unable to download the artifact from any repository
>    Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
>    Then, install it using the command:
>        mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.company.app.appserver
> -DartifactId=ejb3 \
>            -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=ejb -Dfile=/path/to/file
>
> It never fail when I execute 'mvn package'. But it fail during 'mvn
> eclipse:eclipse'. That's why I decide to skip that module for mvn
> eclipse:eclipse. Now I see that I cannot get rid of that problem by
> skipping module, but I need to do something else.
>
> The problem is that I have no idea why it fails during 'mvn
> eclipse:eclipse'...
>
> Regards,
> Marcin
>

> Dan Tran wrote:
> > Marcin, I am not able to reproduce your issue at my side using your example.
> >
> > the only thing i can think of is you are using the wrong eclipse
> > plugin version prior to 2.4.
> >
> > you may want to define eclipse plugin at the top level pom with
> > version configured.
> > and you still need to configure skip individually per child project.
> >
> > -D
> >
> > On 8/28/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Dan, thanks for response.
> >>
> >> I've reproduced it in two simple as possible module set. See atachement.
> >> One is an ejb packaging project and the second is ear packaging project.
> >> The second one use skip flag:
> >> <plugin>
> >>    <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
> >>    <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
> >>    <configuration>
> >>        <skip>true</skip>
> >>    </configuration>
> >> </plugin>
> >>
> >> When I execute 'mvn eclipse:eclipse' for top level pom then ear
> >> packaging project is not skipped.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Marcin

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Marcin Waldowski-3
Dan,

Thanks for your continuous help. I think it is a subject for another
thread...

Regards,
Marcin

Dan Tran wrote:

> I ran into the same thing, and ended up to run
>
>    mvn install    first
>
> then
>
>   mvn eclipse:eclipse
>
> -D
>
> On 8/29/07, Marcin Waldowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dan, thanks for checking my example.
>>
>> I'm sure that I use 2.4 version. In debug mode I can see:
>>
>>    [INFO] Building ejb3
>>    [DEBUG] Configuring mojo
>> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.4:eclipse' -->
>>
>> But now I see that the problem is not around skipping module. In debug
>> output I can see line:
>>
>>    [DEBUG] Configuring mojo
>> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-eclipse-plugin:2.4:eclipse' -->
>>
>> but this I can see only for ejb3 module. I cannot see it for ear module
>> because it fails before:
>>
>>    [DEBUG] Unable to download the artifact from any repository
>>    Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
>>    Then, install it using the command:
>>        mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.company.app.appserver
>> -DartifactId=ejb3 \
>>            -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=ejb -Dfile=/path/to/file
>>
>> It never fail when I execute 'mvn package'. But it fail during 'mvn
>> eclipse:eclipse'. That's why I decide to skip that module for mvn
>> eclipse:eclipse. Now I see that I cannot get rid of that problem by
>> skipping module, but I need to do something else.
>>
>> The problem is that I have no idea why it fails during 'mvn
>> eclipse:eclipse'...
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marcin
>>

>> Dan Tran wrote:
>>
>>> Marcin, I am not able to reproduce your issue at my side using your example.
>>>
>>> the only thing i can think of is you are using the wrong eclipse
>>> plugin version prior to 2.4.
>>>
>>> you may want to define eclipse plugin at the top level pom with
>>> version configured.
>>> and you still need to configure skip individually per child project.
>>>
>>> -D

Re: Skiping module during mvn eclipse:eclipse

Steinar Bang

> At the eclipse plugin site [1] I don't see such an option. But I don't
> understand the problem you have with generating the .classpath en
> .project files. Just don't import the project into Eclipse and all is
> well, or not?

Actually, if the project you'd like to skip had been a jar project, if
you tried not importing it, you'd get errors, since eclipse:eclipse
will generate project dependencies between modules, rather than
dependencies against the jars in the local maven repo.

But since this was modules with <packaging> other than jar, this
doesn't apply.