Quantcast

Shared Descriptor does not work for Multimodulproject

Shared Descriptor does not work for Multimodulproject

mremersoncod

 Hi all,

I have a Multimodulproject with a Module, which defines the maven-assembly-plugin to pack additional files.

As this happens more often in our workspaces, I created a shared descriptor as given at: http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/sharing-descriptors.html.

If I run the project alone, it works and in the assembly phase the shared descriptor artifact is downloaded and the assembly is done.

If I start the Multimodulproject, it fails the assembly with the message, that the descriptor can not be found. It also does not download the shared descriptor artifact during the assehmbly phase.

Can someone say why this behavior occures ? and why it works for the project itself, but not for the multimodul ?

Thanks

Re: Shared Descriptor does not work for Multimodulproject

Anders Hammar
I think we need more info. Also, there is no "assembly" phase.

By any chance, are you using Maven 2.x and is using the assembly plugin in
some other module? In that case the problem is likely due to plugin
classpath issues in Maven 2.x - please try Maven 3.

/Anders

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:18, Emerson Cod <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> I have a Multimodulproject with a Module, which defines the
> maven-assembly-plugin to pack additional files.
>
> As this happens more often in our workspaces, I created a shared descriptor
> as given at:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/sharing-descriptors.html
> .
>
> If I run the project alone, it works and in the assembly phase the shared
> descriptor artifact is downloaded and the assembly is done.
>
> If I start the Multimodulproject, it fails the assembly with the message,
> that the descriptor can not be found. It also does not download the shared
> descriptor artifact during the assehmbly phase.
>
> Can someone say why this behavior occures ? and why it works for the
> project itself, but not for the multimodul ?
>
> Thanks

Re: Shared Descriptor does not work for Multimodulproject

mremersoncod

 Hi,

thanks for the answer.

with maven3 the problem did not occur anymore...

thanks for that :)

I think we need more info. Also, there is no "assembly" phase.

By any chance, are you using Maven 2.x and is using the assembly plugin in

some other module? In that case the problem is likely due to plugin

classpath issues in Maven 2.x - please try Maven 3.

/Anders

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:18, Emerson Cod <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi all,

> I have a Multimodulproject with a Module, which defines the

> maven-assembly-plugin to pack additional files.

> As this happens more often in our workspaces, I created a shared descriptor

> as given at:

> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/sharing-descriptors.html

> .

> If I run the project alone, it works and in the assembly phase the shared

> descriptor artifact is downloaded and the assembly is done.

> If I start the Multimodulproject, it fails the assembly with the message,

> that the descriptor can not be found. It also does not download the shared

> descriptor artifact during the assehmbly phase.

> Can someone say why this behavior occures ? and why it works for the

> project itself, but not for the multimodul ?

> Thanks

Re: Maven build EAR does not work for Multimodule project on JBOSS

wei zhenhua
Hi,
I have been working on IntelliJ framework with the IDE exploded deployment. The ide deployment works totally fine during the debugging. However, using the maven to build the ear file and deploy to JBOSS, the application behaves differently without the fixed functionality. The build and deployment looks fine just behaves differently from what is deployed in Intellij IDE.
Could you provide any suggestions? If having such problem before please reply. Thank you in advance.
Taylor

with maven3 the problem did not occur anymore...

thanks for that :)

I think we need more info. Also, there is no "assembly" phase.

By any chance, are you using Maven 2.x and is using the assembly plugin in

some other module? In that case the problem is likely due to plugin

classpath issues in Maven 2.x - please try Maven 3.

/Anders

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:18, Emerson Cod <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Hi all,

> I have a Multimodulproject with a Module, which defines the

> maven-assembly-plugin to pack additional files.

> As this happens more often in our workspaces, I created a shared descriptor

> as given at:

> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/examples/sharing-descriptors.html

> .

> If I run the project alone, it works and in the assembly phase the shared

> descriptor artifact is downloaded and the assembly is done.

> If I start the Multimodulproject, it fails the assembly with the message,

> that the descriptor can not be found. It also does not download the shared

> descriptor artifact during the assehmbly phase.

> Can someone say why this behavior occures ? and why it works for the

> project itself, but not for the multimodul ?

> Thanks

RE: Maven build EAR does not work for Multimodule project on JBOSS

Yanko, Curtis
We use a tool like Beyond Compare to analyze locally made EARs to those from the CI system early in our engagement to ensure we have faithfully reproduced what the customer asked for. Any difference we find we make adjustment for in Maven.

________________________________

Curt Yanko | Continuous Integration Services
Making IT Happen, one build at a time, 700 times a day

Thanks for the answers.
I did go that way by comparing the intellij build and maven build and just found the followings:
1. Maven build's ejb jars does not contain the dependencies declared in its pom.xml file while intellij build does bundle those files in the ejb jar. However, those dependencies files are put in the root directory in the maven build which looks no problem for the class path. I have spent quite a while on this wondering this difference can cause the problem.
2. the manifest for ejb module has the classpath= value empty while other module's class path has the jar dependencies. Could this be another issue?
3. the application.xml in the ear META-INF does not contain the ejb module declaration in the maven build. I am not very sure how this application.xml work, all other dependencies and war has been included except the ejb jar. Again, I don't know if this matter.
4. From my investigation, the application.xml and jboss-app.xml could be optional. Could this be true?
Any related suggestions or answers will be highly appreciated!
Thank you.