Quantcast

Release Reports

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Release Reports

jtolentino
Hi Everyone,

You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
Here's the related documentation:

http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/examples/generating-release-report.html

This is an implementation on what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.nabble.com/Feedback-Needed-on-Release-Reporting-Tool-tf2843851s177.html

Thanks,
John

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

Mike Perham-3-3
John, can you give us a sample of what the final report looks like?

On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> Here's the related documentation:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/examples/generating-release-report.html
>
> This is an implementation on what's discussed in this thread:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Feedback-Needed-on-Release-Reporting-Tool-tf2843851s177.html
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

jtolentino
Here's the example report:

http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/release-report.html

On 1/12/07, Mike Perham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John, can you give us a sample of what the final report looks like?
>
> On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> > Here's the related documentation:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/examples/generating-release-report.html
> >
> > This is an implementation on what's discussed in this thread:
> >
> > http://www.nabble.com/Feedback-Needed-on-Release-Reporting-Tool-tf2843851s177.html
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

jtolentino
By the way, for this example, the changes I made to
maven-source-plugin's POM to generate the report is:

<project>
   [...]
  <build>
    <plugins>
      <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-swizzle-plugin</artifactId>
        <configuration>
          <projectKey>MPSOURCE</projectKey>
          <template>RELEASE</template>
          <result>${basedir}/src/site/xdoc/release-report.xml</result>
          <scmRevisionId>495351</scmRevisionId>
          <docckPassed>true</docckPassed>
          <docckResultDetails>docck-successful.txt</docckResultDetails>
          <licenseCheckPassed>false</licenseCheckPassed>
          <licenseCheckResultDetails>license-failed.txt</licenseCheckResultDetails>
        </configuration>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>
  <scm>    <connection>scm:svn:http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/plugins/trunk/maven-source-plugin</connection>
  </scm>
  <distributionManagement>
<downloadUrl>http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-source-plugin/2.0.2-SNAPSHOT/</downloadUrl>
    <site>
      <url>http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-source-plugin/</url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>
</project>

On 1/12/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's the example report:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/release-report.html
>
> On 1/12/07, Mike Perham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > John, can you give us a sample of what the final report looks like?
> >
> > On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> > > Here's the related documentation:
> > >
> > > http://people.apache.org/~jtolentino/staging_site/maven-swizzle-plugin/examples/generating-release-report.html
> > >
> > > This is an implementation on what's discussed in this thread:
> > >
> > > http://www.nabble.com/Feedback-Needed-on-Release-Reporting-Tool-tf2843851s177.html
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > John
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > >
> > >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

robert burrell donkin-2
In reply to this post by jtolentino
On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

hi john

> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.

have you implemented your header checked yet?

i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular for apache)

- robert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

jtolentino
Not yet. Still looking for existing maven plugins that might be doing
this already. Not sure if the verifier plugin could do this for us.

I'm sure everyone would be happy to have new people to help out.

On 1/12/07, robert burrell donkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
>
> hi john
>
> > You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
>
> have you implemented your header checked yet?
>
> i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular for apache)
>
> - robert
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

Jason van Zyl
In reply to this post by robert burrell donkin-2

On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>
> hi john
>
>> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
>
> have you implemented your header checked yet?
>
> i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular  
> for apache)
>

Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over  
at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be  
integrated.

Jason.

> - robert
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

jtolentino
Was thinking of integrating both docck and rat plugins by calling
their execute() methods.

Docck throws a MojoFailureException when documentation tests fails and
test results could be redirected to a file through the output
parameter. So integration with this plugin is straightforward.

Although the results of rat-maven-plugin can be redirected to a file,
I don't see the same behavior when test failures are encountered. I'll
talk to Jochen if we could apply the same behavior to his plugin.

On 1/12/07, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >
> > hi john
> >
> >> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> >
> > have you implemented your header checked yet?
> >
> > i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
> > for apache)
> >
>
> Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> integrated.
>
> Jason.
>
> > - robert
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
> >
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

robert burrell donkin-2
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl
On 1/11/07, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >
> > hi john
> >
> >> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> >
> > have you implemented your header checked yet?
> >
> > i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
> > for apache)
> >
>
> Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> integrated.

jochen's looking for a new home for that plugin ATM

- robert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

jtolentino
It appears he'll stick with mojo. But couldn't speak for him. I'll
update everyone when I get a patch and have him take a look at it.

On 1/12/07, robert burrell donkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/11/07, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> >
> > > On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >> Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > hi john
> > >
> > >> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> > >
> > > have you implemented your header checked yet?
> > >
> > > i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
> > > for apache)
> > >
> >
> > Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> > at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> > integrated.
>
> jochen's looking for a new home for that plugin ATM
>
> - robert
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

robert burrell donkin-2
In reply to this post by jtolentino
On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not yet. Still looking for existing maven plugins that might be doing
> this already. Not sure if the verifier plugin could do this for us.

there's quite a few wrinkles to release auditing which aren't
immediately obvious

RAT code's rubbish (i hacked it to automate checking of incubator
releases) but i've learnt a lot about what a tool needs to be able to
do.

> I'm sure everyone would be happy to have new people to help out.

perhaps too many around here know me too well to be too excited ;-)

- robert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

jtolentino
Hi Robert,

Can you have a plexus component for the license header auditing then?
I can hook it up to the plugin when it's ready. Only two information
are needed:

  - check result (a boolean value) and
  - output file where the reports can link to

Thanks,
John

On 1/12/07, robert burrell donkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Not yet. Still looking for existing maven plugins that might be doing
> > this already. Not sure if the verifier plugin could do this for us.
>
> there's quite a few wrinkles to release auditing which aren't
> immediately obvious
>
> RAT code's rubbish (i hacked it to automate checking of incubator
> releases) but i've learnt a lot about what a tool needs to be able to
> do.
>
> > I'm sure everyone would be happy to have new people to help out.
>
> perhaps too many around here know me too well to be too excited ;-)
>
> - robert
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

robert burrell donkin-2
In reply to this post by jtolentino
On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Was thinking of integrating both docck and rat plugins by calling
> their execute() methods.
>
> Docck throws a MojoFailureException when documentation tests fails and
> test results could be redirected to a file through the output
> parameter. So integration with this plugin is straightforward.
>
> Although the results of rat-maven-plugin can be redirected to a file,
> I don't see the same behavior when test failures are encountered. I'll
> talk to Jochen if we could apply the same behavior to his plugin.

there are conceptual issues with this approach with RAT ATM

RAT was developed as a pure reporting tool requiring manual analysis
of the results. the problem is that there's a lot fuzziness both about
some of the heuristics that RAT uses and about the legitimacy of some
constructions.

people are now more interested in using RAT as a regular report but
this means more work before it'll work well.

- robert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

robert burrell donkin-2
In reply to this post by jtolentino
On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Can you have a plexus component for the license header auditing then?

i think so but we may need to think about the best way to do it...

RAT's half way through a redesign ATM but i'll move that onto a branch :-/

> I can hook it up to the plugin when it's ready. Only two information
> are needed:
>
>   - check result (a boolean value) and

this is conceptually difficult since the easiest and most obvious test
(checking for headers in every file) will not work correctly for many
projects at apache

would need to be pluggable so that the rules can be refined easily

>   - output file where the reports can link to

the output is now a subject-predicate-object meta-data stream which is
then converted to xml. RAT application uses a stylesheet to convert
this to plain text. take your pick :-)

- robert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

Joakim Erdfelt-2
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl
Jason van Zyl wrote:

>
> On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> hi john
>>
>>> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
>>
>> have you implemented your header checked yet?
>>
>> i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
>> for apache)
>>
>
> Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> integrated.
>
> Jason.
See
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/plugins/maven-license-plugin/
It has a functional scanner, and a mostly complete injection (only
missing java source type).
You'll want
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-shared-license/ also.

I started down the path of making a generic java source parser module at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/sandbox/maven-shared-java-parser/
but I ran out of time.

When I get more time I'll get back to it, or someone else can take over
where I left off.

- Joakim

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Release Reports

robert burrell donkin-2
In reply to this post by Jason van Zyl
On 1/11/07, Jason van Zyl <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On 11 Jan 07, at 3:42 PM 11 Jan 07, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > On 1/11/07, John Tolentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >
> > hi john
> >
> >> You can now generate release reports using the maven-swizzle-plugin.
> >
> > have you implemented your header checked yet?
> >
> > i'm interested in collaborating on release auditing (in particular
> > for apache)
> >
>
> Joakim has scanning tools, and Jochen actually made a RAT plugin over
> at Mojo. I would make a plexus component of it I it were to be
> integrated.

if john wants to use RAT then probably the best approach would be for
me to integrate RAT against an interface specified. i'd appreciate
help or advice about creating a suitable plexus component.

- robert

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...