Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
Thanks Brian,

I'll reopen an issue next time I face an upload problem.

*> it's not occurring across the entire system *
Ok but the case was not isolated, it occurred also in the past weeks to
microsoft, redhat, springboot guys and to several anonymous like me that
try to maintain some oss stuff.
Moreover, I initially thought that OSSRH timeout was not 'just' a Sonatype
issue even if Sonatype is the operator of central & OSSRH (and I thank you
for that). I saw it as a community problem and thus I just wanted to have
some feedback from this community.

Matthieu

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 6:25 PM Brian Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Matthieu, I think continuing the conversation on your existing
> ossrh ticket is the right place to resolve this. While it seems like
> you're having recurring issues, it's not occurring across the entire
> system so we need to figure out what the unique issue is.
>
> --Brian
> Cofounder & CTO Sonatype
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 7:28 AM Matthieu Brouillard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can a representative provide some information on the topic. Are there
> > discussions with Sonatype?
> > Yesterday again OSSRH had troubles [1].
> > The graphs on https://status.maven.org/ can look ok but I suspect the
> > 99.99% of OSSRH availability to be only an HTTP health check which does
> not
> > represent the effective availability of the service (the staging
> operation
> > duration is by far a better indicator but data is restricted to a single
> > day and the holes in the graph are not explained).
> > Such recurring issues should be tackled otherwise people will switch to
> > less reliable (in term of ownership / deployment rules) alternative
> > repositories and libraries/projects will not reach central anymore.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Matthieu
> >
> > [1] : https://status.maven.org/incidents/c9svd46b6r92?u=hj0q9bssz3zp
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Matthieu Brouillard <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I know the issue/problem below is not directly related to maven dev
> list
> > > but I thought it would be a good place to open the discussion.
> > >
> > > It has been the case for several months now : community is facing
> issues
> > > when deploying to central via OSSRH.
> > > Personally I faced the issue several times, latest one today
> > > (OSSRH-63407). I reached them via twitter and commented on open issues.
> > > Also Microsoft JDBC team faced it few weeks ago (OSSRH-62435), Quarkus
> > > team is having problems too (OSSRH-63387) and some others : see JIRA
> search
> > > [1]
> > >
> > > As going through OSSRH is the official documented way [2] to reach
> central
> > > and as it affects the community, don't you think there should be some
> > > discussions between maven representatives & sonatype ones to tackle the
> > > problems?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Matthieu
> > >
> > > [1] :
> > >
> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
> > > [2] :

> [...]

AW: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Markus KARG-3
If you follow the official twitter channel then you will learn that the problem is simply the internal load of the free OSSRH service, which is just one of several ways onto Maven Central. At the Eclipse Foundation for example, we have our own Sonatype-powered instance with separate workload limit, so this is something that Apache could reach out for. At the far end, I am pretty sure Sonatype will even provide direct push to Maven Central using a commercial offering, so there is none of their infra (other than the master server) in your way at all.

Having said that, I pushed via OSSRH twice today, it needed endless, but in the end it worked. As we all do open source and OSSRH is free, maybe we should simply accept that free stuff might just have some outages currently.

-Markus