Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
Hello,

Can a representative provide some information on the topic. Are there
discussions with Sonatype?
Yesterday again OSSRH had troubles [1].
The graphs on https://status.maven.org/ can look ok but I suspect the
99.99% of OSSRH availability to be only an HTTP health check which does not
represent the effective availability of the service (the staging operation
duration is by far a better indicator but data is restricted to a single
day and the holes in the graph are not explained).
Such recurring issues should be tackled otherwise people will switch to
less reliable (in term of ownership / deployment rules) alternative
repositories and libraries/projects will not reach central anymore.

Regards,

Matthieu

[1] : https://status.maven.org/incidents/c9svd46b6r92?u=hj0q9bssz3zp

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Matthieu Brouillard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know the issue/problem below is not directly related to maven dev list
> but I thought it would be a good place to open the discussion.
>
> It has been the case for several months now : community is facing issues
> when deploying to central via OSSRH.
> Personally I faced the issue several times, latest one today
> (OSSRH-63407). I reached them via twitter and commented on open issues.
> Also Microsoft JDBC team faced it few weeks ago (OSSRH-62435), Quarkus
> team is having problems too (OSSRH-63387) and some others : see JIRA search
> [1]
>
> As going through OSSRH is the official documented way [2] to reach central
> and as it affects the community, don't you think there should be some
> discussions between maven representatives & sonatype ones to tackle the
> problems?
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthieu
>
> [1] :
> https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
> [2] :
> https://maven.apache.org/repository/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Brian Fox-2
Hi Matthieu, I think continuing the conversation on your existing
ossrh ticket is the right place to resolve this. While it seems like
you're having recurring issues, it's not occurring across the entire
system so we need to figure out what the unique issue is.

--Brian
Cofounder & CTO Sonatype

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 7:28 AM Matthieu Brouillard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can a representative provide some information on the topic. Are there
> discussions with Sonatype?
> Yesterday again OSSRH had troubles [1].
> The graphs on https://status.maven.org/ can look ok but I suspect the
> 99.99% of OSSRH availability to be only an HTTP health check which does not
> represent the effective availability of the service (the staging operation
> duration is by far a better indicator but data is restricted to a single
> day and the holes in the graph are not explained).
> Such recurring issues should be tackled otherwise people will switch to
> less reliable (in term of ownership / deployment rules) alternative
> repositories and libraries/projects will not reach central anymore.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthieu
>
> [1] : https://status.maven.org/incidents/c9svd46b6r92?u=hj0q9bssz3zp
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Matthieu Brouillard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know the issue/problem below is not directly related to maven dev list
> > but I thought it would be a good place to open the discussion.
> >
> > It has been the case for several months now : community is facing issues
> > when deploying to central via OSSRH.
> > Personally I faced the issue several times, latest one today
> > (OSSRH-63407). I reached them via twitter and commented on open issues.
> > Also Microsoft JDBC team faced it few weeks ago (OSSRH-62435), Quarkus
> > team is having problems too (OSSRH-63387) and some others : see JIRA search
> > [1]
> >
> > As going through OSSRH is the official documented way [2] to reach central
> > and as it affects the community, don't you think there should be some
> > discussions between maven representatives & sonatype ones to tackle the
> > problems?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Matthieu
> >
> > [1] :
> > https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/OSSRH-63387?jql=project%20%3D%20OSSRH%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20created%20%3E%3D%20-10w%20AND%20text%20~%20%22timeout%20OR%20slow%22%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC
> > [2] :
> > https://maven.apache.org/repository/guide-central-repository-upload.html

Re: uploading to central via ossrh is problematic

Matthieu BROUILLARD-3
Markus,

> which is just one of several ways onto Maven Central
The only way for OSS developers not part of big infrastructures.

> As we all do open source and OSSRH is free, maybe we should simply accept
that free stuff might just have some outages currently.
I am not blaming Sonatype at all, on the contrary I am very grateful to
them for offering freely OSSRH.
I just wanted to make some awareness that the community, not having access
to dedicated routes to central other than OSSRH, is suffering that's all.

Matthieu