Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Elliotte Rusty Harold
The name of this plugin, Maven Artifact Plugin, seems very generic. It
really gives no indication of its purpose. Perhaps consider a rename
at this early stage to maven-buildinfo-plugin or
maven-reproduce-plugin.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Robert Scholte-8
We've already discussed this.
The name is intended to be generic and can be seen as a "brother" of the maven-dependency-plugin.
Where the dependency plugin handles the (dependency) graph, the artifact plugin is about the (artifact) file.
I expect more goals to be added.

thanks,
Robert

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Slawomir Jaranowski

I use

org.apache.maven.repository.RepositorySystem#createArtifactWithClassifier -
it is not

Maybe the java version can also be upgraded to 1.8 New plugin and start
with 1.7 is a special requirement for it?

pt., 15 sty 2021 o 12:50 Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> I noticed this code in ReferenceBuildInfo:
>
>         Artifact buildinfo =
>                         artifactFactory.createArtifactWithClassifier(
> project.getGroupId(), project.getArtifactId(),
>
> project.getVersion(), "buildinfo", "" );
>

> The problem is that ArtifactFactory is deprecated and has been for a
> while. However it doesn't have any information about what is supposed
> to be used instead.
>
> Since this is greenfield code, could this be replaced by the
> non-deprecated alternative? Or, if there is, no non-deprecated
> alternative, then can we consider undeprecating ArtifactFactory? It's
> woven pretty deeply into most of our plugins and APIs.
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
> >
> > I did a first documentation:
> > https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
> >
> > review, feedback, PRs welcome
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé

> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Hervé BOUTEMY
PR welcome for deprecation removal

on JDK 8, I'm -1 because I know that it's a one char update in a pom file, but
I don't see any benefit, I only see drawback: it can be used in less cases.
And concretely, on Reproducible Central [1], if I upgrade JDK prerequisite to
JDK 8, I have 16 releases that I can't check any more (search for "j7" and
you'll see the updated value)

Then thank you, I'll remain with JDK 7 target bytecode

[1] https://github.com/jvm-repo-rebuild/reproducible-central