Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

rfscholte
I agree. RelativePath is only useful within a Maven MultiModule project (in 1 git repo)
Using <relativePath/> is even a bit better, because it overwrites the default of ../pom.xml and forces to look in the local/remote repo

Robert
On 19-12-2019 12:14:40, Mark Struberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks!

Looking at massembler right now I stumbled across a parentPom section

maven-plugins
org.apache.maven.plugins
33
../../pom/maven/maven-plugins/pom.xml

This was perfectly fine when we had all in SVN under one big project.
But nowadays - having all in GIT - I'd we should remove the relativePath, isn't?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Hervé BOUTEMY
disagree

We have the repo configuration which brings a location for every Git
repository:
https://maven.apache.org/scm.html
or https://github.com/apache/maven-sources/

The relative paths are calculated against that.
And I recently even added aggregator poms to build absolutely everything in
one unique build

Le jeudi 19 décembre 2019, 12:13:56 CET Mark Struberg a écrit :

> Hi folks!
>
> Looking at massembler right now I stumbled across a parentPom section
>
> <parent>
>   <artifactId>maven-plugins</artifactId>
>   <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>   <version>33</version>
>   <relativePath>../../pom/maven/maven-plugins/pom.xml</relativePath>
> </parent>
>
> This was perfectly fine when we had all in SVN under one big project.
> But nowadays - having all in GIT - I'd we should remove the relativePath,
> isn't?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

rfscholte
that only works for the very, very few that uses this repository.
It should work as to how contributors work with it, otherwise you'll see other issues compared to them.

Robert
On 21-12-2019 12:33:53, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
disagree

We have the repo configuration which brings a location for every Git
repository:
https://maven.apache.org/scm.html
or https://github.com/apache/maven-sources/

The relative paths are calculated against that.
And I recently even added aggregator poms to build absolutely everything in
one unique build

Le jeudi 19 décembre 2019, 12:13:56 CET Mark Struberg a écrit :

> Hi folks!
>
> Looking at massembler right now I stumbled across a parentPom section
>

> maven-plugins
> org.apache.maven.plugins
> 33
> ../../pom/maven/maven-plugins/pom.xml
>

> This was perfectly fine when we had all in SVN under one big project.
> But nowadays - having all in GIT - I'd we should remove the relativePath,
> isn't?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: relativePath for parent poms in our plugins

Romain Manni-Bucau
Agree with Robert, git clone && mvn install must always work and be
straight forward if we want people to be able to help/work imho.