Re: beam leaving maven, anything doable?

Re: beam leaving maven, anything doable?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Even doing it the difference is significative. The parallelism and
graph computation (linked to the local repo thread safety) is the main
drawback of maven it seems.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau |  Blog | Old Blog | Github | LinkedIn

> Am 2017-11-27 um 20:24 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> anything doable on maven side (either tuning or code changes) to be as
>> good as gradle on beam project. The project is goind to leave maven as
>> build tool ([1]) and I think it is very bad for 1. the community and
>> 2. ASF as an ecosystem.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6d6f7ffc66622db1dd459e1704c3a5d8a4bc29c2d9c0b60354fd3b6a@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
>

> Did they disable the build daemon? If not, it is not a fair comparsion.
>
> Michael

Re: beam leaving maven, anything doable?

Manfred Moser-4
Just my 2c as a long terms Maven user and committer..

People have been moving from one build tool the other for years. That includes to Gradle, to Maven and to all sorts of others stuff and back. If the Beam project thinks they will get significant improvements for their build times and they want to migrate.. let them. They will have to learn a whole bunch of different things and see some advantages as well as lot of disadvantages.

From my perspective the build time is NOT significantly faster with Gradle and depends a LOT on what your build actually does. More importantly the integration with IDEs and other tools is a lot worse in many aspects.

As long as they can make sure that their binaries are published so that any user can easily consume them (e.a. they publish proper binaries and pom files to the Central Repository) I have no objection.

Of course if they would step up and help us with Maven and make it better that would certainly be better than putting effort into migrating... but thats a different story.

And another one of course is that Gradle is open source project mostly sponsored by a single company and hence under a very different control compared to Maven..

Manfred