Re: Version poll results

Clemens Quoss
Is 'q' considered a classifier or not?  Classifier like 'alpha1',
'beta2' and even 'SNAPSHOT' denote a pre-production version, IMHO.

With: artifactId-1.0.alpha1 < artifactId-1.0.beta2 < ... <
artifactId-1.0.SNAPSHOT < ...

Is there really a difference between putting a hyphen or a dot to
separate classifier from version?  If so, is my statement only right for

artifactId-1.0-alpha1 < artifactId-1.0-beta2 < ... <
artifactId-1.0-SNAPSHOT < ...?  Please advise.

I think, it is irrelevant if the classifier is separated by hyphen or
dot.  Everything after the version starting with an alphabetic character
is a classifier, used to classify a pre-production version.  The
classifiers being in alphabetical order.

That is why i never understood Spring working with versions like
2.1.RELEASE (being < 2.1).

Regards

Clemens