Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven OSGi

Tibor Digana
There's very good BND plugin org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin.
+1 to retire and delete old https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-osgi/
Cheers
Tibor17

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Apache Maven project consist of about 90 (sub)projects. Due to the
> small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're
> missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects,
> including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven
> itself.
> To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current
> subprojects
> and decide if it is worth maintaining.
>
> https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-osgi/ describes the main purpose
> in
> one line: Library for Maven-OSGi integration.
> There have been only 2 releases: 0.1.0 in July 2007 and 0.2.0 in December
> 2007 and just one open issue by Stuart McCulloch regarding an unclosed jar.
> It is unclear to me if this library is still used. The library is based
> on
> just 3 files: interface, default implementation and dedicated exception.
> Either the library is complete or never used anymore. In both cases I see
> no real reason to maintain it.
>
> I therefore propose that we retire the maven-osgi library.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should
> update the documentation and freeze the codebase.
>
> The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
> https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
> [https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]
>
> The vote is open for 72 hours.
> [ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
> [ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven OSGi

Dirk Mahler
Hi,

I'm not using it but just for curiosity I checked on Maven Central if
some artifacts have been pushed there recently that declare a dependency
to this artifact (maven-osgi):

"0.2.0" "org.glassfish.hk2:consolidatedbundle-maven-plugin:pom:2.6.0"
"2019-07-31T22:22:29Z"
"0.2.0" "org.glassfish.hk2:osgiversion-maven-plugin:pom:2.6.0"
"2019-07-31T22:21:55Z"
"0.2.0" "org.apache.sling:slingstart-maven-plugin:pom:1.8.4"
"2019-06-13T11:29:18Z"
"0.2.0" "org.apache.sling:slingfeature-maven-plugin:pom:1.0.4"
"2019-06-13T09:52:03Z"

Hope it helps for voting.

Cheers

Dirk

>The Apache Maven project consist of about 90 (sub)projects. Due to the  small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're  missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects,  including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven  itself.
>To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current subprojects  and decide if it is worth maintaining.
>
>https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-osgi/ describes the main purpose in  one line: Library for Maven-OSGi integration.
>There have been only 2 releases: 0.1.0 in July 2007 and 0.2.0 in December  2007 and just one open issue by Stuart McCulloch regarding an unclosed jar.
>It is unclear to me if this library is still used. The library is based on  just 3 files: interface, default implementation and dedicated exception.
>Either the library is complete or never used anymore. In both cases I see  no real reason to maintain it.
>
>I therefore propose that we retire the maven-osgi library.
>
>I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should  update the documentation and freeze the codebase.
>
>The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
>https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html  [https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]
>
>The vote is open for 72 hours.
>[ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
>[ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven OSGi

Michael Osipov-2
Am 2019-08-23 um 15:17 schrieb Robert Scholte:

> Hi,
>
> The Apache Maven project consist of about 90 (sub)projects. Due to the
> small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're
> missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects,
> including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven
> itself.
> To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current
> subprojects and decide if it is worth maintaining.
>
> https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-osgi/ describes the main purpose
> in one line: Library for Maven-OSGi integration.
> There have been only 2 releases: 0.1.0 in July 2007 and 0.2.0 in
> December 2007 and just one open issue by Stuart McCulloch regarding an
> unclosed jar.
> It is unclear to me if this library is still used. The library is based
> on just 3 files: interface, default implementation and dedicated exception.
> Either the library is complete or never used anymore. In both cases I
> see no real reason to maintain it.
>
> I therefore propose that we retire the maven-osgi library.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should
> update the documentation and freeze the codebase.
>
> The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
> https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
> [https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]

+1

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven OSGi

Enrico Olivelli
+1
Thank you Dirk for checking

Enrico

Il giorno ven 23 ago 2019 alle ore 20:48 Arnaud Héritier <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> +1
>
> Le ven. 23 août 2019 à 15:17, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The Apache Maven project consist of about 90 (sub)projects. Due to the
> > small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're
> > missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects,
> > including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven
> > itself.
> > To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current
> > subprojects
> > and decide if it is worth maintaining.
> >
> > https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-osgi/ describes the main purpose
> > in
> > one line: Library for Maven-OSGi integration.
> > There have been only 2 releases: 0.1.0 in July 2007 and 0.2.0 in December
> > 2007 and just one open issue by Stuart McCulloch regarding an unclosed
> jar.
> > It is unclear to me if this library is still used. The library is based
> > on
> > just 3 files: interface, default implementation and dedicated exception.
> > Either the library is complete or never used anymore. In both cases I see
> > no real reason to maintain it.
> >
> > I therefore propose that we retire the maven-osgi library.
> >
> > I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should
> > update the documentation and freeze the codebase.
> >
> > The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
> > https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
> > [https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]
> >
> > The vote is open for 72 hours.
> > [ ] +1 Yes, it's about time