Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven OSGi

Tamás Cservenák
+1

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Apache Maven project consist of about 90 (sub)projects. Due to the
> small number of volunteers and the huge amount of code to maintain we're
> missing enough space to make real progress on all these projects,
> including our ambitious ideas for the next major version(s) of Maven
> itself.
> To be able to gain more focus we need to criticize the current
> subprojects
> and decide if it is worth maintaining.
>
> https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-osgi/ describes the main purpose
> in
> one line: Library for Maven-OSGi integration.
> There have been only 2 releases: 0.1.0 in July 2007 and 0.2.0 in December
> 2007 and just one open issue by Stuart McCulloch regarding an unclosed jar.
> It is unclear to me if this library is still used. The library is based
> on
> just 3 files: interface, default implementation and dedicated exception.
> Either the library is complete or never used anymore. In both cases I see
> no real reason to maintain it.
>
> I therefore propose that we retire the maven-osgi library.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to do a final release. Instead we should
> update the documentation and freeze the codebase.
>
> The process for retiring a plugin is described here:
> https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html
> [https://maven.apache.org/developers/retirement-plan-plugins.html]
>
> The vote is open for 72 hours.
> [ ] +1 Yes, it's about time
> [ ] -1 No, because...

Re: [VOTE] Retire Maven OSGi

Tibor Digana
Hi Dirk,

This project is not worth a plugin, it is a pure converter of single class.
In this case it is legal to adopt this code according to the license.
Anyway the Maven is not the OSGi. The OSGi is not our key API we deliver to
our customers.
We have to save our energy on what makes Maven The Maven.

Cheers
Tibor17

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 5:21 PM Dirk Mahler <[hidden email]>

> I'm not using it but just for curiosity I checked on Maven Central if
> some artifacts have been pushed there recently that declare a dependency
> to this artifact (maven-osgi):
>
> "0.2.0" "org.glassfish.hk2:consolidatedbundle-maven-plugin:pom:2.6.0"
> "2019-07-31T22:22:29Z"
> "0.2.0" "org.glassfish.hk2:osgiversion-maven-plugin:pom:2.6.0"
> "2019-07-31T22:21:55Z"
> "0.2.0" "org.apache.sling:slingstart-maven-plugin:pom:1.8.4"
> "2019-06-13T11:29:18Z"
> "0.2.0" "org.apache.sling:slingfeature-maven-plugin:pom:1.0.4"
> "2019-06-13T09:52:03Z"
>
> Hope it helps for voting.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dirk