Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Surefire Plugin version 3.0.0-M2

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Surefire Plugin version 3.0.0-M2

Eric Lilja
Hi, Tibor, yes I saw the milestone roadmap, that's why I am excited for
M2 (which I tested both on private projects and at work), since it
brings us closer to M3, which introduces changes which will be
beneficial for Pax Exam (communicating with child processes through
sockets).
The problems with Pax Exam and surefire (for surefire version greater
than 2.18.1), has varied over the versions (of surefire since 2.18.1).
Before tests would often crash, now things work better but you often get
this 30s timeout at the end. That's why we stayed with 2.18.1 in our
organization.

Great work on M2, looking forward to see it release and even more
excited about M3!

I didn't mean to hijack the vote email thread, and this will be last
message on this thread about this topic. I was just excited about M2
since it brings us a lot closer to M3, which I am even more excited
about for the reason described above, and I wanted to share that excitement.

Great work!

- Eric L

On 2018-12-08 19:40, Tibor Digana wrote:

> @Eric Lilja
> You use Pax. I guess you are refering to the problem with standard input
> and standard output stream. The plugin says that the stream is corrupted.
> Am I right?
>
> Did you see the documentation here in this Vote? See the roadmap on the
> front page
> http://maven.apache.org/surefire-archives/surefire-LATEST/maven-surefire-plugin/index.html
>
> This is long standing problem but it can be changed in new major version.
> But I still think that Pax and Felix could provide some kind of abstraction
> layer of these streams in testing purposes.
>
> Cheers
> Tibor
>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 7:20 PM Eric Lilja <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 (non-binding)
>>
>> M2 is looking good on my projects, and I can't wait for the upcoming M3
>> after M2, which I believe will solve the long-standing problems running
>> Pax Exam tests (in the organization I work in we use 2.18.1 of surefire
>> for Pax-Exam tests particularly, as no version of Surefire higher than
>> that works well with it)
>>
>> - Eric L
>>
>> On 2018-12-05 23:26, Tibor Digana wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We solved 15 issues:
>>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12317927&version=12344396
>>> There are still a couple of issues left in JIRA:
>>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/i#issues/?jql=project+%3D+SUREFIRE+AND+status+%3D+Open+ORDER+BY+priority+DESC
>>> Staging repo:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1472/
>>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/maven-1472/content/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire/3.0.0-M2/surefire-3.0.0-M2-source-release.zip
>>> Source release checksum(s):
>>> surefire-3.0.0-M2-source-release.zip sha1:
>>> 421f6fda2367d128007b84b213690db348a8b2c6