Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.22.3

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.22.3

Stephane Nicoll
On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le lun. 4 mai 2020 à 17:06, Stephane Nicoll <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > Thanks but that doesn't really answer my question. That version is picked
> > up by dependency management of the project as far as I can tell. If a
> > project does provide an older junit engine version the build will break.
> >
> > If you meant to "force" a single version then I'd argue that you
> shouldn't
> > resolve the one provided in dependency management for the project. I also
> > find this change quite suspicious in a maintenance release.
> >

> Long story short the first jupiter integration contributed by junit team
> was supporting a single version.
> This is what is in 2.x of surefire.
> This maintenance release just upgraded the version as requested in a ticket
> IIRC but didn't change the way it is loaded (which is done on master).

It is changing things in a non backward compatible way as you are now
required to use  a more recent JUnit version in a maintenance release of
the plugin. And given that the plugin loads the version from dependency
management, you are not forcing the version that you require. If the
project uses the junit bom (as it should be) and it does not match the
requirement, the build fails with a NoClassDefFoundError. Surely that can't
be right?

Just to make sure I understood your point. You are OK if users upgrading to
a maintenance release of this plugin are also forced to upgrade the JUnit
version they are using? This is going to break pretty much all Spring Boot
users in 2.2.x as our policy is not upgrade to a new feature release of
JUnit in a maintenance release of Spring Boot.

Suffice to say, I don't think we can upgrade to this plugin. Have I missed
something?

> > On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Stephane,
> > >
> > > AFAIK the choice with 2.22 maintenance for now was to keep using a
> single
> > > junit5 version as originally and if only support more flexibility with
> > 3.x.
> > > Think it makes sense for now but if you want to PR 2.22 to backport 3.x
> > > work I guess it can be discussed too in another thread.
> > >
> > > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > > @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> > > <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> > > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> > > <

> for

> > > [hidden email]>

> > > build
> > candidate

> > > (default-test)
> > failures.
> > > > >

> /Users/snicoll/workspace/work/spring-boot/2.2.x/spring-boot-project/spring-boot-tools/spring-boot-configuration-metadata/target/surefire-reports
> org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireBooterForkException:
> > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter.fork(ForkStarter.java:656)
> > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter.run(ForkStarter.java:282)
> > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.booterclient.ForkStarter.run(ForkStarter.java:245)
> > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.AbstractSurefireMojo.executeProvider(AbstractSurefireMojo.java:1186)
> > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.AbstractSurefireMojo.executeAfterPreconditionsChecked(AbstractSurefireMojo.java:1014)
> > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.AbstractSurefireMojo.execute(AbstractSurefireMojo.java:860)

> [hidden email]

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12317927&version=12345472

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SUREFIRE%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1572/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire/2.22.3/surefire-2.22.3-source-release.zip

> c1533ed45fd3119d028a4914ca7557acfbfea5218b5536bbafeed4b33845486b976f20b39334e2917636e3739240478ca46bd25a0dc011e5fb2aa85033e9e959

> > > http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.22.3

Romain Manni-Bucau
Le lun. 4 mai 2020 à 18:30, Stephane Nicoll <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:55 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Le lun. 4 mai 2020 à 17:23, Stephane Nicoll <[hidden email]>
> > écrit :
> >
> > > On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 5:17 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]

> > > picked
> If a
> > > break.

> > > also

> > team
> > > ticket
> master).
> > > >

> > > It is changing things in a non backward compatible way as you are now
> > > required to use  a more recent JUnit version in a maintenance release
> of
> > > the plugin. And given that the plugin loads the version from dependency
> > > management, you are not forcing the version that you require. If the
> > > project uses the junit bom (as it should be) and it does not match the
> > > requirement, the build fails with a NoClassDefFoundError. Surely that
> > can't
> > > be right?
> > >

> > I - and all I guess - agree with you that this implementation is not the
> > expected one from an user perspective, this is why it got fixed on 3.x,
> > but it didn't change in 2.x, only the supported version and we likely
> > missed 1.5/1.6.1 were not compatible (think spring is using 1.6.0 btw).
> > Using user version was not a feature and is still not in 2.x.
> >

> OK. Why is our build failing with that error if we're importing the JUnit
> 5.5.2 bom and it does not fail if we're importing the JUnit 5.6.2 bom? Our
> test dependencies have "junit-jupiter" in test scope which brings the
> engine.
>
> That looks like Surefire is using the user version to me. Anyway, if it
> wasn't we wouldn't have the error above, wouldn't we?

AFAIK you don't import junit-platform-launcher in 1.5.2 so it fails.
So surefire uses user version but misses one dep which takes in its own pom.

> [...]
> > > > > > > >

> org.apache.maven.plugin.surefire.AbstractSurefireMojo.execute(AbstractSurefireMojo.java:860)

> > https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/19631

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12317927&version=12345472

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SUREFIRE%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1572/
> > > > > > > >>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/maven-1572/org/apache/maven/surefire/surefire/2.22.3/surefire-2.22.3-source-release.zip

> c1533ed45fd3119d028a4914ca7557acfbfea5218b5536bbafeed4b33845486b976f20b39334e2917636e3739240478ca46bd25a0dc011e5fb2aa85033e9e959

> > > 2.22.x

> > > http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Surefire Plugin version 2.22.3

Tibor Digana
I wanted to copy paste that part of AbstractSurefireMojo which solves
this problem in this release but i was too lazy to do it.
I can do it and we can collaborate on the GitHub in a pullrequest -
the resolver's call will be different, that's the only thing, but
doable.
The code is more simple now, see this PR
https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/290 and it has more
features than before, so the users would be happy I would say.

--
Cheers
Tibor