Re: Surefire release?

Tibor Digana
Hi Olivier,

Please do not make it yet - I am in progress with fixing.
I am still running several branches on Jenkins. The Jira issues in 2.21.0
match branch name, as for instance today's SUREFIRE-1491.
After 1491 the next ones will be cosmetic changes - quite fast to do.
I would like to start the vote in the weekend. So we have been working with
Robert Scholte and me quite a lot on this release, please let us finish it.
Then 3.0.0-M1 would be yours, Olivier and most probably everybody would
appreciate new API and Java 1.7 including me.

In the next release 3.0.0-M1 we can cherrypick and squash commits from the
existing branch 3.0-rc1 together and you Olivier can make a release.
The JUnit Users would expect release of our new provider asap, so we have
to cherrypick and squash commits from branch junit5 in Version 3.0.0-M2 and
add a statement to documentation saying that JUnit5 has incomplete
feature-matrix against JUnit47 and we call it experimental provider because
we do not have all feature ITs covered.
Both (3.0-API and JUnit5) are actually very urgent, so they should follow
right after current Version 2.21.0.

Why M1, M2, etc, because we with Kristian and Andreas wanted to change the
system properties of config params to something like surefire.* and
failsafe.* and include interfaces to some config params with
"implements=..." which would customize the plugins without asking us to do
in ASF. Some prototype was done but it did not go with "implements=...".

Additionally, we have to release 3.0.0-M3 with reworked communication
between processes (maven -> surefire) because the execution hangs with
pipes and I found a bug in JDK in maven-shared-utils. We have some
prototype with sockets but pipes must stay as an config alternative. This
includes changes in the data format sent over pipes and sockets which is on
my PC and not in any public branch. With this fix we will close all known
critical Jiras.
I could not do it earlier, sorry. There's been a quite a lot of
requirements so far from Users and us ASF.

Cheers
Tibor

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 12:14 AM, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> Any objections to cut a release?
> If not, I can do this early next week
> Cheers
> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire release?

Enrico Olivelli
Thank you !
 I will test on my company projects as soon as possible (maybe monday).

nit: is The subject of the vote thread wrong ?

Enrico

> The e-mail went out. The vote has started.
> Should I mention how to run the build with other JDK and follow the
> README.md on GitHub?
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 8:16 PM, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Il ven 2 mar 2018, 19:43 Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
> >
> > > I will close the Jira Version and I will complete all preparation for
> the
> > > release vote tomorrow morning.
> > >

> > Great!
> > Enrico

> > is

> issues
> > > in
> fast
> been
> > us

> > > neither
> one
> > in
> > projects

> > everybody

> > commits
> asap,
> > so
> Version
> > > incomplete
> > > provider
> > > should

> surefire.*
> > > and
> > asking

> > hangs
> > > some
> sockets
> close
> > > all
> of

> > [hidden email]>

> > --
> >

> > -- Enrico Olivelli

Re: Surefire release?

Tibor Digana
Hello Olivier,

We can continue with the next work in parallel if you agree.
Basically two things to do. The Java 7 and API 3.0.
The branch 3.0-rc-1 already exists. So would rather take this because I
know the branch and it contains a lots of 3.0 commits which need to be
squashed in one and master patched.
I see a safety if I work in a branch because I can wait for passed build on
Jenkins and I can push it to master when it's okay and complete.
What is your opinion?

Cheers
Tibor