Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Anything user facing preventing to let it be a final?

Anyway +1 to let fixes get out.

Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 à 02:53, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
> It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
> Maybe time for a new release?
> Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?
>
> cheers
> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
I understood the wish from JUnit5 fans e.g. Olivier Lamy but still we have
important fixes for the stability and it is hard to find new developers.
I was thinking about this release/3.0.0-M4 and adding one more milestone
too but there is fix on my PC that I have a problem to merge without new
TCP/IP connector in Surefire.
We still have TCP/IP connector in progress...

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:11 AM Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
> Enrico
>
> Il gio 10 ott 2019, 06:40 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
> > Anything user facing preventing to let it be a final?
> >
> > Anyway +1 to let fixes get out.
> >
> > Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 à 02:53, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
> > > Maybe time for a new release?
> > > Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > --
> > > Olivier Lamy
> > > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Olivier Lamy
We can release now 3.0.0-M4 and then release later with your remaining
fixes/new features.
As far I know we do not have a fix release content we can easily move the
remaining fixes to a 3.0.0-M5
I'm happy to release it myself if you don't have time.

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 21:11, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understood the wish from JUnit5 fans e.g. Olivier Lamy but still we have
> important fixes for the stability and it is hard to find new developers.
> I was thinking about this release/3.0.0-M4 and adding one more milestone
> too but there is fix on my PC that I have a problem to merge without new
> TCP/IP connector in Surefire.
> We still have TCP/IP connector in progress...
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:11 AM Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> > Enrico
> >
> > Il gio 10 ott 2019, 06:40 Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> ha
> > scritto:
> >
> > > Anything user facing preventing to let it be a final?
> > >
> > > Anyway +1 to let fixes get out.
> > >
> > > Le jeu. 10 oct. 2019 à 02:53, Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> a écrit
> :

Olivier Lamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
We still use plexus-java:1.0.3 which depends on ASM 7.0.
The support for JDk 13 and 14 is in the version 7.2.
We have similar upgrade in
https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:53 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
> Maybe time for a new release?
> Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?
>
> cheers
> --
> Olivier Lamy
> http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
Dont think there is an api version upgrade between 7.0 and 7.2 so can be
upgraded in user pom so not a blocker for a milestone release IMHO....j13
and j14 are still not adopted too so all good.

Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 11:35, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> We still use plexus-java:1.0.3 which depends on ASM 7.0.
> The support for JDk 13 and 14 is in the version 7.2.
> We have similar upgrade in
> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29
>
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:53 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
> > Maybe time for a new release?
> > Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?
> >
> > cheers
> > --
> > Olivier Lamy
> > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
all bad, see the stackoverflow. It happens that the users argue that they
have to update our dependencies which is our responsibility!

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dont think there is an api version upgrade between 7.0 and 7.2 so can be
> upgraded in user pom so not a blocker for a milestone release IMHO....j13
> and j14 are still not adopted too so all good.
>
> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 11:35, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > We still use plexus-java:1.0.3 which depends on ASM 7.0.
> > The support for JDk 13 and 14 is in the version 7.2.
> > We have similar upgrade in
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29
> >
> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:53 AM Olivier Lamy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > It's now almost 10 months since last and around 30 issues fixed.
> > > Maybe time for a new release?
> > > Moving issues still open to 3.0.0-M5?
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > --
> > > Olivier Lamy
> > > http://twitter.com/olamy | http://linkedin.com/in/olamy

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
I understand and if we can we must do but not a blocker - was my point
Also keep in mind we could do the update automatically with asm versioning
scheme using our resolver in the mojo.
So let's fix issues for most users - once again j > 11 is a play area, not
for prod today - and maybe enhance our asm integration layer later.

Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 11:42, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> all bad, see the stackoverflow. It happens that the users argue that they
> have to update our dependencies which is our responsibility!
>
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Dont think there is an api version upgrade between 7.0 and 7.2 so can be
> > upgraded in user pom so not a blocker for a milestone release IMHO....j13
> > and j14 are still not adopted too so all good.
> >
> > Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 11:35, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> >
> > > We still use plexus-java:1.0.3 which depends on ASM 7.0.
> > > The support for JDk 13 and 14 is in the version 7.2.
> > > We have similar upgrade in
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
Here is the pull request
https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-languages/pull/29

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I understand and if we can we must do but not a blocker - was my point
> Also keep in mind we could do the update automatically with asm versioning
> scheme using our resolver in the mojo.
> So let's fix issues for most users - once again j > 11 is a play area, not
> for prod today - and maybe enhance our asm integration layer later.
>
> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 11:42, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > all bad, see the stackoverflow. It happens that the users argue that they
> > have to update our dependencies which is our responsibility!
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Dont think there is an api version upgrade between 7.0 and 7.2 so can
> be
> > > upgraded in user pom so not a blocker for a milestone release
> IMHO....j13
> > > and j14 are still not adopted too so all good.

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
Romain, I have enabled JUnit5 5.6.0/1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.
I want to know if the bug OSSRH-51220 is fixed.
https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-surefire/job/junit5-snapshots/

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:10 PM Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Here is the pull request
> https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-languages/pull/29
>
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I understand and if we can we must do but not a blocker - was my point
>> Also keep in mind we could do the update automatically with asm versioning
>> scheme using our resolver in the mojo.
>> So let's fix issues for most users - once again j > 11 is a play area, not
>> for prod today - and maybe enhance our asm integration layer later.
>>
>> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 11:42, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
>> écrit :
>>
>> > all bad, see the stackoverflow. It happens that the users argue that
>> they
>> > have to update our dependencies which is our responsibility!
>> >
>> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]

>> be
>> IMHO....j13

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Romain Manni-Bucau
They work on it with some rate limiting until it gets resolved.
They had some abnormal load.

Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 12:24, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Romain, I have enabled JUnit5 5.6.0/1.6.0-SNAPSHOT.
> I want to know if the bug OSSRH-51220 is fixed.
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/maven-box/job/maven-surefire/job/junit5-snapshots/
>
> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:10 PM Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Here is the pull request
> > https://github.com/codehaus-plexus/plexus-languages/pull/29
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I understand and if we can we must do but not a blocker - was my point
> >> Also keep in mind we could do the update automatically with asm
> versioning
> >> scheme using our resolver in the mojo.
> >> So let's fix issues for most users - once again j > 11 is a play area,
> not
> >> for prod today - and maybe enhance our asm integration layer later.

> >> they

> >> [hidden email]

> can
> >> be
> >> IMHO....j13

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
Relocation is useless. The ASM is changed because of the bytecode
compatibility. We always had to upgrade plexus-java in the past; otherwise
the users reported a bug directly or in the Stackoverflow.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:45 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 13:33, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > As far as I know, surefire won't touch the Plexus Java code that requires
> > ASM.
> > It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
> > read the module descriptors.
> >
> > Maven Shade is a different case: it must parse the Java bytecode (and
> > only
> > when using minifyJar), hence it needs the latest ASM.
> >

> + Relocation ;)
>

> > Robert
> >
> > On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:35:05 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]
> >

> > wrote:
> >
> > > We still use plexus-java:1.0.3 which depends on ASM 7.0.
> > > The support for JDk 13 and 14 is in the version 7.2.
> > > We have similar upgrade in
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
Because i understood you talking about relocating ASM within Surefire here
in this thread.
It did not make sense for me since the ASM always has to adapt to a new
bytecode.
So you mean relocating ASM in the m-shade-p, right?

User's dependencies are loaded in a separate classloader, no need to
relocate (plugin's dependency) ASM in Surefire plugin because it is used
only in MOJO and the plugin's dependency is not loaded to user's tests.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:42 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not sure what you meant Tibor, just completed that relocation can need asm
> upgrade in shade plugin - if we dont want users to do it in the pom which
> is ok/needed if they use new java versions.
>
> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 20:24, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > Relocation is useless. The ASM is changed because of the bytecode
> > compatibility. We always had to upgrade plexus-java in the past;
> otherwise
> > the users reported a bug directly or in the Stackoverflow.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:45 PM Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> > requires

> > > + Relocation ;)

> > [hidden email]

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:44:48 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le sam. 12 oct. 2019 à 13:33, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> As far as I know, surefire won't touch the Plexus Java code that
>> requires
>> ASM.
>> It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
>> read the module descriptors.
>>
>> Maven Shade is a different case: it must parse the Java bytecode (and
>> only
>> when using minifyJar), hence it needs the latest ASM.
>>

> + Relocation ;)

Well, the unexpected answer is actually No, see

https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java

(but it might be better to do so...)

>> Robert
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 11:35:05 +0200, Tibor Digana
>> <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > We still use plexus-java:1.0.3 which depends on ASM 7.0.
>> > The support for JDk 13 and 14 is in the version 7.2.
>> > We have similar upgrade in
>> > https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/pull/29

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

rfscholte
On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 00:35:51 +0200, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>>> It is ONLY required when the runtime is Java 8 or lower AND you need to
>>> read the module descriptors.
>
> thx for clarifying.
>
> Am i right if I say that it would happen with J9/Toolchain used in
> Compiler
> but J8 in the Maven build?
> Is it realistic?
> Maybe some people would do it due to some other plugins unreliable on J9+
> WDYT?

It depends on the purpose. Suppose there's a plugin that wants to do all
kinds of analysis on dependencies where Java 8 is good enough, expect for
the module decriptors, then this feature with ASM makes it possible.

> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 12:20 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:44:48 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > + Relocation ;)
>>
>> Well, the unexpected answer is actually No, see
>>

>> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java
>>
>> (but it might be better to do so...)

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Ah, there it is :)

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 08:21:53 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Didnt expect my comment about shade to take so much space in this thread
> but yes we rely on asm for relocation:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/DefaultShader.java#L453
>
> Le dim. 13 oct. 2019 à 00:20, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 13:44:48 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > + Relocation ;)
>>
>> Well, the unexpected answer is actually No, see
>>

>> https://github.com/apache/maven-shade-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/shade/relocation/SimpleRelocator.java
>>
>> (but it might be better to do so...)

Re: Surefire 3.0.0-M4 release?

Tibor Digana
The SUREFIRE-1689 progress has been finished until the CI build succeeds.