Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

Elliotte Rusty Harold
My concern is PRs like this one to restore Maven 3.0.5 compatibility
to surefire:

https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274

I think we should have a clearly stated policy that we're no longer
going to expend effort supporting Maven 3.0.x in our plugins. By
contrast, we are currently planning to continue support for Maven
3.1.x+ in the various plugins.

There are now multiple +1's on this PR. Can I proceed?

On Sat, Jun 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To me these are 2 different things.
> Yes, we are going to require Maven 3.1 for our plugins (and because of API changes we need to be explicit about this), but that doesn't mean that Maven 3.0.x itself is end of life.
>
> Depending on how you ask the question, to me EOLs are either about majors or minors.
> It is clear to me we won't do anything for Maven 2 anymore.
> At the same time, I expect we will never do a 3.3.10 or 3.5.5.
>
> I don't know what people expect by a statement about EOL: nobody has a support contract for Maven, so talking about EOL doesn't make any sense to me.
> It all depends on what critical issue may appear, based on that we'll make our decision.
> To me it is either: EOL for Maven2 and/or with every new release the previous will be marked as EOL.
>
> Robert
>

> On 13-6-2020 17:26:15, Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we've achieved consensus that Maven 3.0.x should no longer be
> supported by new plugin releases and 3.1.x is our minimum. Assuming
> that's true, this PR updates the history page to account for that:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/176
>
> If anyone thinks we have not achieved consensus, or should not
> announce that 3.0.x is end of life, please say so.
>
> As always, please also comment on exact language of the PR, markup
> syntax, and other pages that need to be updated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Elliotte Rusty Harold