Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

Re: Suggestion: announce Maven 3.0.x is EOL

Olivier Lamy
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 at 04:06, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To me these are 2 different things.
> Yes, we are going to require Maven 3.1 for our plugins (and because of API
> changes we need to be explicit about this), but that doesn't mean that
> Maven 3.0.x itself is end of life.
>
> Depending on how you ask the question, to me EOLs are either about majors
> or minors.
> It is clear to me we won't do anything for Maven 2 anymore.
> At the same time, I expect we will never do a 3.3.10 or 3.5.5.

If we are not marking versions as EOL we will eventually have to provide a
security fix.
In case of security issues found in 3.0.5, do we really want to have to
release 3.0.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.6 etc....
I guess it's the main reason for marking versions as EOL.

> I don't know what people expect by a statement about EOL: nobody has a
> support contract for Maven, so talking about EOL doesn't make any sense to
> me.
> It all depends on what critical issue may appear, based on that we'll make
> our decision.
> To me it is either: EOL for Maven2 and/or with every new release the
> previous will be marked as EOL.

We just want to be clear in the bureaucratic POV we will not provide
security fixes for those versions marked EOL.
I'm +1 we clearly define which versions are "supported" (at least security
fixe) and which versions are EOL.

> Robert
>

> On 13-6-2020 17:26:15, Elliotte Rusty Harold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we've achieved consensus that Maven 3.0.x should no longer be
> supported by new plugin releases and 3.1.x is our minimum. Assuming
> that's true, this PR updates the history page to account for that:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-site/pull/176
>
> If anyone thinks we have not achieved consensus, or should not
> announce that 3.0.x is end of life, please say so.
>
> As always, please also comment on exact language of the PR, markup
> syntax, and other pages that need to be updated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Elliotte Rusty Harold

Olivier Lamy