Re: ScmProvider.list()

stephenconnolly
On Fri 30 Mar 2018 at 10:20, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 2018-03-30 um 10:47 schrieb Basin Ilya:
> > Hi.
> > We need your opinion on the following topic. While Svn and Cvs providers
> perform the list() operation remotely and don't need a checkout directory,
> Git and some others
> > simply list the local files (generally, because their SCMs don't provide
> a remote list method). Arguments passed to the list() method also have
> different meanings for those
> > providers.
> >

> > We should specify in the ScmProvider.list() javadoc that if the SCM does
> not support remote listing, then the method should just fail and also
> modify the existing
> > ListCommand implementations.
>
> My opinion on this is that the ListCommand says remote repos. If some
> SCM provider implements it wrong, it either has to be dropped or
> corrected. I don't like the idea to checkout or clone to list files.
>
> The Git provider has been implemented incorrectly from the beginning. I
> checked some other SCMs and they don't implement it at all.
>
> This needs to be fixed in 2.0.0.

It depends, git being distributed, if you have the local checkout, you can
list exactly without needing to go remote.

But perhaps the thing here is to enhance the api to provide for both cases.

At the minimum, git could do an ls-remote and then list from local once the
revision is confirmed present (which would meet a goal of being a “read
only” operation)

> Michael

Sent from my phone