Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote

Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote

Gary Gregory-2
On Sep 10, 2017 10:33, "Robert Scholte" <[hidden email]> wrote:

So what would be the conclusion?

35% want to keep Java7 as JRE for Maven for a shorter or longer period?

IMHO that's a lot

but less than the 65% who do not, an overwhelming majority.

Gary

Robert

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 11:55:20 +0200, Stephen Connolly <
[hidden email]> wrote:

So poll results:

> 493 votes cast
>
> 25% want Java 7,8&9 for Maven 3.6.x
> 65% want Java 8&9 for Maven 3.6.x
> 10% want Java 8&9 for Maven 3.6.x and 6 months of backporting to 3.5.x
>
> On Sat 9 Sep 2017 at 11:50, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> https://twitter.com/asfmavenproject/status/906451059966693376
>> --
>> Sent from my phone

Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote

Arnaud Héritier
But on twitter thus probably far from being a good representation of our
users ...

Le dim. 10 sept. 2017 à 18:45, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> On Sep 10, 2017 10:33, "Robert Scholte" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So what would be the conclusion?
>
> 35% want to keep Java7 as JRE for Maven for a shorter or longer period?
>
> IMHO that's a lot
>

> but less than the 65% who do not, an overwhelming majority.
>
> Gary
>

> Robert
>

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 11:55:20 +0200, Stephen Connolly <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So poll results:
> >
> > 493 votes cast
> >
> > 25% want Java 7,8&9 for Maven 3.6.x
> > 65% want Java 8&9 for Maven 3.6.x
> > 10% want Java 8&9 for Maven 3.6.x and 6 months of backporting to 3.5.x
> >
> > On Sat 9 Sep 2017 at 11:50, Stephen Connolly <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > https://twitter.com/asfmavenproject/status/906451059966693376
> >> --
> >> Sent from my phone

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: [RESULT] Re: Please retweet and vote

Robert Scholte-6
On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:21:11 +0200, Stephen Connolly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun 10 Sep 2017 at 19:04, Tibor Digana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Are we facing new API regarding networking and security useful in Java
>> 8?
>>
>> When I first saw these options I asked myself what benefit would have
>> the
>> User and Jenkins from Java 8.
>> And second question was whether we would be so flexible to rewrite the
>> code
>> and use Lambda fully anywhere in the code.
>

> There is the social aspect. If you are a potential new contributor to
> Maven
> and you look at our heavy Java 1.3 convention codebase (ok, I'm being a
> demagogue, it's had a bit updated to 5.0) are you going to be encouraged
> step forward?
>
> How can you make small improvements and demonstrate you are a safe pair
> of
> hands to gain the commit bit?
>
> Now if we have the opertunity to make lots of tidy up and you can show
> you
> are a safe pair of hands, retaining binary compatibility with older
> plugins, making the code more readable, finding file handle leaks, etc...
> well now you have a welcome path to demonstrate your skills.... while
> gaining familiarity with the codebase so that when we turn around to
> start
> on Maven 5.0.x you can join in the fun.
>
> Now that is not a technical argument, but we are a community first... so
> maybe the technical arguments are not so right to push!

bq. but we are a community first

What's the definition of community: the large user group or the few we're
hoping to find who can help working on Maven?
And if we're focusing on the latter, shouldn't the twitter question be:

I want to become a Maven developer
[] right now!
[] only if Maven requires Java 8 ( so I can use lambda's, etc.)
[] never, let others do the job
[] other...