Re: Proposal: maven release lifecycle

first thanks...

I have several question regarding your blog post ...

Apart from beeing not accurate in some part I miss one very important thing:

What is the real problem when doing a release via release plugin etc.
which works well (I haven't said that it could be improved)...

I want to know what the pain points are ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

On 03.10.19 15:38, Marco Schulz wrote:

> Hello Maven Dev & Community
>
> Sine a long time I thought, it would be cool to have a well defined process to
> prepare a release of an artifact and deploy it on mvn central. Now I got a bit
> time to formulate a short proposal of my idea. I published a description of my
> thought on my bolg:
> https://enrebaja.wordpress.com/2019/10/03/next-generation-maven/
>
> A poll is also created, may to see what other people think about it. Please feel
> free to leave also comments, every feedback is welcome.
>
> warm regards & thanks to the maven dev team for the great job they do.
> .marco (@ElmarDott)

Re: Proposal: maven release lifecycle

Romain Manni-Bucau
Hi Marco,

I have 2 thoughts reading your post:

1. Should be enforced by an extension (sonatype plugin if target is
central?)
2. It likely misses a few phases compared to maven release plugin which
validates the release can be done (including tests) and runs the tests on
the tag as well

Now if 200 lines of xml can be replaced by a single extension I am +1000 on
that track

Le ven. 4 oct. 2019 à 08:24, Marco Schulz <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Hello Maven Dev & Community
>
> Sine a long time I thought, it would be cool to have a well defined
> process to
> prepare a release of an artifact and deploy it on mvn central. Now I got a
> bit
> time to formulate a short proposal of my idea. I published a description
> of my
> thought on my bolg:
> https://enrebaja.wordpress.com/2019/10/03/next-generation-maven/
>
> A poll is also created, may to see what other people think about it.
> Please feel
> free to leave also comments, every feedback is welcome.
>
> warm regards & thanks to the maven dev team for the great job they do.
> .marco (@ElmarDott)

>  Dipl. Inf. Marco Schulz (MSc)
>
>                   Expert for (WEB) Enterprise Applications
>                            - worldwide -
>       + Project Manager + Consultant + Writer + Speaker + Trainer +
>

> [Contact]_______________________________________________________________________
>
>    WhatsApp :  +52 (1) 221 200 61 37 :: Mexico
>    Cell     :  +49 (0) 163 69 18 445 :: Germany
>    E-Mail   :  [hidden email]
>
>    Blog     :  https://enRebaja.wordpress.com
>    twitter  :  https://twitter.com/ElmarDott
>    tumblr   :  https://elmardott.tumblr.com
>    facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/elmar.dott
>

> [Services]______________________________________________________________________
>
>     + Individual software development
>     + Software Project Management
>     + Build-,  Configuration-, & Delivery Management
>     + Release Management
>     + Business Analysis
>     + Software Architecture
>     + Process Automation

> This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
> which
> it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential
> and that may not be made public by law or agreement. If you are not the
> intended
> recipient or entity, you are hereby notified that any further
> dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this communication in error, please contact us
> immediately
> and delete the message from your system.

Re: Proposal: maven release lifecycle

stephenconnolly
On Sat 5 Oct 2019 at 08:14, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I like the words but fail to see the missing pieces (understand actions to
> do).
>
> Typically today when i release at work i use release plugin enriched with
> github page deployment for the doc using antora + a ftp update of my server
> output capture to have a mock backing openapi/swagger ui + docker ilage
> deployment on docker hub + an intellij plugin deployment on jetbrains
> marketplace etc...adding a flyway migration with a rolling update in a k8s
> cluster is trivial (ops need to say yes though ;)).
>
> So technically it is verbose but doable.
>
> Custom lifecycle definition is not neat, custom build tasks require a build
> hack or using groovy plugin but it works.

Such a pity my ship-maven-plugin never gained traction

> [...]
> > as
> > build manager we want to release our artifact. Very important would be an
> > option
> > to take the results from the build lifecycle and prepare the release. As
> > first
> > we need to see that the planned artifact version is not exist in any
> > configured
> > public repository and the pom contains all mandatory information for
> > publishing
> > on maven central(validate). To secure a reproducible build, in a second
> > step we
> > enforce that no SNAPSHOT artifacts are involved, the correct maven
> version
> > is
> > used etc. (the existing enforcer plugin do a great job). After the
> > preconditions
> > are fine we can execute external acceptance tests like JGiven. In another
> > step
> > the JavaDoc got generated. the pgp plugin sing the artifacts and check
> > that the
> > public key is available. The SCM plugin create a tag for the released
> > revision.
> > Difficult parts are auto increment the version number and auto check the
> > scm if
> > the release is produced with the last revision of the code. This actions
> > are by
> > my experience a bit error prune.
> > A release process could have some vocabulary like prepare, perform,
> > deploy. This
> > are just conventions, like it is used in the build lifecycle. To realize
> > this
> > idea, many already existing plugins can used, like the release plugin. In
> > this
> > proposal I was also not mentions external plugins to use like flyway, for
> > database versioning and so on. A lot of things ar imaginable.
> >
> > In future more lifecycles or workflows could be possible. For example a
> > deploy
> > lifecycle and so on. And then maven transform from a plugin execution
> > framework
> > to a process management framework, like Jason van Zyl described in his
> book
> > better build with maven.
> >
> > warm regards to all
> > .marco
> >

> > On Fri, 2019-10-04 at 11:28 +0200, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
> > > @Tibor: I agree merging both in one "super" command can be neat (I
> always
> > > run both at once typically) but I disagree with last parts "skip the
> > test"
> > > - maven is also there to enforce tests as a good practise, if you don't
> > > automatically test it you can configure maven to skip tests for the
> > release
> > > but it is at your own risk, can be fine or not - and "skip the deploy"
> -
> > > here again you can configure maven to do it if you need but maven must

Sent from my phone