Re: Prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release Notes

   Andrew Kennedy

Improvements:

   - MNG-6340 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6340> reporter:
   Tony Guan
   - MNG-6306 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6306> reporter:
   Andy Wilkinson
   - MNG-5992 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5992> reporter:
   Ryan J. McDonough

I need to see the ticket DESCRIPTION. I do not care about the AUTHOR.

Thank you,
Gary

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I have prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release notes.
>
> You can take a look here:
>
> https://github.com/khmarbaise/maven-release-notes/blob/maste
> r/content/markdown/docs/3.5.3/release-notes.md
>
> If you have improvements/ideas/supplementals etc. don't hesitate to
> contact me or make a PR...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release Notes

Gary Gregory-2
On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On 24/02/18 22:02, Gary Gregory wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Thank you for preparing a release.
>>

> You're weclome.
>

>> As a user, this is useless:
>>
>> Bugs:
>>
>>     - MNG-6323 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6323> reporter:
>>     Ben Caradoc-Davies
>>     - MNG-6320 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6320> reporter:
>>     Eugene Pliskin
>>     - MNG-6300 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6300> reporter:
>>     Andreas Kurth
>>     - MNG-6298 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6298> reporter:
>>     Ryan Heaton
>>     - MNG-6296 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6296> reporter:
>>     Robin Müller
>>     - MNG-6282 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6282> reporter:
>>     Dejan Stojadinović
>>     - MNG-6255 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6255> reporter:
>>     Andrew Kennedy
>>
>> Improvements:
>>
>>     - MNG-6340 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6340> reporter:
>>     Tony Guan
>>     - MNG-6306 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6306> reporter:
>>     Andy Wilkinson
>>     - MNG-5992 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5992> reporter:
>>     Ryan J. McDonough
>>
>> I need to see the ticket DESCRIPTION. I do not care about the AUTHOR.
>>

> Sorry but I do care about the authors of the tickets, cause it shows
> their interest in helping making Maven better and contributing to Maven
> and I will honor those people at least with mentioning them in the Release
> Notes.

Hi,

I am not suggesting removal of the names of folks who have contributed,
just the addition of the ticket description. And yes, after scrolling down
I found the information I was looking for, which I expect to see front and
center in RNs, not deeper in.

Cheers,
Gary

> This is the foundation of an open source project or in other words the
> community we have here.
>
> I have a complete different opinion about that in particular in my Role as
> a Apache Maven PMC
>
> Sorry to say that in a very clear and maybe a little harsh way sorry if
> you grasp it that way.
>
> Apart from that I have added detailed descriptions about the changes which
> have been made and what they mean. Furthermore you will find a list of the
> tickets also and of course a link to the JIRA.
>
> If you have supplementals/enhancements/fixes or improvements for example
> the descriptions please feel free to add PR's or open at least issues on
> the git repository or make suggestions here on the mailing list...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise
> Apache Maven PMC
>

>> Thank you,
>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi to all,
>>>
>>> I have prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release notes.
>>>
>>> You can take a look here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/khmarbaise/maven-release-notes/blob/maste
>>> r/content/markdown/docs/3.5.3/release-notes.md
>>>
>>> If you have improvements/ideas/supplementals etc. don't hesitate to
>>> contact me or make a PR...
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release Notes

Hi Stephen,

On 25/02/18 09:06, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> On Sat 24 Feb 2018 at 21:02, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Thank you for preparing a release.
>

> Well I managed to consolidate some of the steps for this one... I think it
> will be nearer 20-25 steps, down from 30
>
> I’m still hoping to get to a more automated solution (modulo we need a
> release vote)
>
> NOTE: this is not the final release notes, rather a draft... and until the
> vote completes there is no release.
>

>> As a user, this is useless:
>>

> The Maven project *really* wants to express. as our most important thing
> about any release, the debt of gratitude we owe to any non-committer who
> contributes in any way to the release.
>
> If we included the issue description in this section, people would focus on
> the description and not the values contributors.
>
> Perhaps we could start this section with a sentence to this effect, eg
>
> “We really value the contributions of these non committers, so this section
> is focused on those individuals. Descriptions of the issues fixed can be
> found at the end of these release notes”

That looks like a very good idea...Added to the draft state...Thanks for
expressing that...

>> Bugs:
>>
>>     - MNG-6323 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6323> reporter:
>>     Ben Caradoc-Davies
>>     - MNG-6320 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6320> reporter:
>>     Eugene Pliskin
>>     - MNG-6300 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6300> reporter:
>>     Andreas Kurth
>>     - MNG-6298 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6298> reporter:
>>     Ryan Heaton
>>     - MNG-6296 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6296> reporter:
>>     Robin Müller
>>     - MNG-6282 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6282> reporter:
>>     Dejan Stojadinović
>>     - MNG-6255 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6255> reporter:
>>     Andrew Kennedy
>>
>> Improvements:
>>
>>     - MNG-6340 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6340> reporter:
>>     Tony Guan
>>     - MNG-6306 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6306> reporter:
>>     Andy Wilkinson
>>     - MNG-5992 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-5992> reporter:
>>     Ryan J. McDonough
>>
>> I need to see the ticket DESCRIPTION. I do not care about the AUTHOR.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Gary
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi to all,
>>>
>>> I have prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release notes.
>>>
>>> You can take a look here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/khmarbaise/maven-release-notes/blob/maste
>>> r/content/markdown/docs/3.5.3/release-notes.md
>>>
>>> If you have improvements/ideas/supplementals etc. don't hesitate to
>>> contact me or make a PR...
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Prepared Maven 3.5.3 Release Notes

olamy
Hi,
Nice work. Ok contributors are important but title of the issue as well and
as reading the release note I except to have the most important at the top
without need to scroll down to the far bottom.

What about
Bugs:

   - MNG-6323 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6323> - Deadlock
   in multithreaded dependency resolution (reported by xxx)

so IMHO it makes something shorter and easier to read.
With the current when I start reading it I see the issue number the person
who help and asking my self so what is the issue?

Olivier Lamy