Re: Plexus-Utils 3.1.0 Release

rfscholte
On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 11:36:51 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 02/07/17 11:19, Robert Scholte wrote:
>> I'm not 100% sure if this will fix the issue.
>>  There are 2 issues which both result in an
>> ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.
>>  One has to do with a process instruction inside the plugin
>> configuration (fixed).
>
> You mean the m2e configuration thing like "<?m2e ...>"...
>
> This is fixed ,cause this will fail in all Maven versions if you use a
> parent which contains such configuration...Tested with the current
> master of plexus-utils it works fine...
>

> But if we have a new release of plexus-utils we could at least tell
> people in such cases to replace the plexus-utils to prevent this issue...

It is probably a bit difficult to explain, because it is not as simple as:

if ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException then upgrade plexus-utils.

And I expect that the m2e is not used that often, which would imply that
it's almost every time the invalid XML.

>> The other has to do with invalid XML.
>
> Ok this is a different story...
>

>>  It looks to me that most of the time the second issue is being hit.
>

>> Clearing the local repository and re-downloading the pom file is the
>> cure. (this is actually the best way to identify which of the 2 is
>> being hit)
>>  What I've seen is that sometime the content of the pom is duplicated,
>> i.e.
>> <project>
>> </project>
>> <project>
>> </project>
>>  I could imagine that this happens when a 2 threads download the same
>> pom at the same time and for some reason are appended.
>
>  From the same Maven run ? Or by using two different maven runs which
> use the same local cache ?

I haven't investigated this yet. You would expect that within one JVM the
Artifact Resolver should be aware of it.

>>  Up until Maven 3.3.9 the XML stopped at the closing root-tag, not at
>> the document-end.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand a thing but isn't the reading of the XML file done
> by plexus-utils?

True, the upgrade of plexus-utils in Maven 3.3.9 exposed this issue.

>>  When the pom is not a valid XML, then IMHO the pom should be
>> re-downloaded.
>>  There are now a couple of issues:
>> - you cannot see which pom is causing the ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
>> - you cannot simply switch to strict checksums at system level. You
>> cannot use MAVEN_OPTS in this case because --strict-checksum is a Maven
>> argument, not a JVM argument.
>
> Couldn't checkSum policy being used in settings.xml to configured to
> fail ?

I think we should reconsider MNG-5506 and MNG-5728.
Assuming all repositories are hosted with a repository manager, I think we
should be able to switch to strict by default.

Robert