Re: Official Maven Github Actions

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Official Maven Github Actions

Gary Gregory-2
I've been wanting such an GH action myself!

Gary

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:52 PM Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problems:
>
> Currently, the official Github actions for building and testing Java with
> Maven [1] don't offer a way to specify the Maven version a workflow can
> use.
> Adding this support seems to be out of the scope of the
> current actions/checkout@v2. [2].
>
> In the Github actions market are already a couple of alternatives to
> perform this setup [3] but are non-verified third parties actions.
>
> Currently, in the Github actions market are cero verified Maven related
> actions [5] but there are already a couple really useful maven related
> actions beyond just the version settings [6]
>
> Since early 2021, Apache related projects allows only verified actions to
> be used in workflows.
>
>
> The opportunity:
> Base on the interaction with the Actions team [2] it seems Actions
> verification can be done if the actions are created as part of the official
> projects. For example Ruby setup action [4].
>
> Before brainstorming in solution, creating a JIRA or a PR with draft
> implementation, I would like to know if there is any interest within the
> Maven community to offer to users certified Maven Github actions?
>
>
> [1]
>
> https://docs.github.com/en/actions/guides/building-and-testing-java-with-maven
> [2] https://github.com/actions/setup-java/issues/40#issuecomment-778028611
> [3] https://github.com/stCarolas/setup-maven
> [4] https://github.com/ruby/setup-ruby
> [5]
>
> https://github.com/marketplace?query=maven&type=actions&verification=verified
> [6] https://github.com/marketplace?after=Y3Vyc29yOjIw&query=maven
> --
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Official Maven Github Actions

Romain Manni-Bucau
Side note: shrinkwrap has a loadSetting (no more 100% sure of the name)
method you can use in the code if -Dmy.setting is set so you can configure
it in surefire and tomee has some too in its Mvn wrapper IIRC so can be a
simpler way to align it all - maybe even using JMX to get JVM arg and
extract -gs/-s since it is a testing tool at the end.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
<https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
<http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance>


Le ven. 12 févr. 2021 à 23:10, Cesar Hernandez <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Thank you all for the feedback provided so far.
>
> I was not aware of Maven Wrapper coming in 3.7, and also the plain sh
> script seems to be right the approach the
> https://github.com/sdkman/sdkman-action took.
> I just ping Eddú to know his feedback on the sdkman-action since it's not
> even listed in the market and, from the context, I think that can easily
> pass the Verification requirement since it's hosted in the sdkman
> organization.
>
> As I wrote at the beginning of the thread, defining a specific maven
> version is just one of many other maven related actions. For example, I've
> found issues with the default settings.xml included in GitHub actions
> and shrinkwrap-resolve so I ended up using actions like
> whelk-io/maven-settings-xml-action and then migrated to the sh script
> approach Romain mentioned after Apache infra recommendation was to remove
> the usage to non verified actions.
>
> El vie, 12 feb 2021 a las 14:16, Andres Almiray (<[hidden email]>)
> escribió:
>
> > FWIW there’s an sdkman GHA in case you’d like to explore that option
> >
> > https://github.com/sdkman/sdkman-action
> >
> > Cheers
> > Andres
> >
> > Sent from my primitive tricorder
> >
> > > On 12 Feb 2021, at 20:52, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi César,
> > >
> > > Any interesting feature compared to using a plain sh script with
> sdkman?
> > > Looks like saner since it will enable you to setup java and maven
> > properly
> > > at the same stage which is the actual prerequisite of a maven build vs
> > > using multiple random actions.
> > > Did you investigate this option?
> > >
> > > Romain Manni-Bucau
> > > @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
> > > <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
> > > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <
> > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> > > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
> > > <
> >
> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >> Le ven. 12 févr. 2021 à 20:39, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]>
> a
> > >> écrit :
> > >>
> > >> I'm only aware of MNG-6887.
> > >>
> > >> Robert
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6887
> > >> On 12-2-2021 19:40:24, Gary Gregory <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >> I've been wanting such an GH action myself!
> > >>
> > >> Gary
> > >>
> > >> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:52 PM Cesar Hernandez
> > >> wrote:
> > >>
> > >>> Hi,
> > >>>
> > >>> The problems:
> > >>>
> > >>> Currently, the official Github actions for building and testing Java
> > with
> > >>> Maven [1] don't offer a way to specify the Maven version a workflow
> can
> > >>> use.
> > >>> Adding this support seems to be out of the scope of the
> > >>> current actions/checkout@v2. [2].
> > >>>
> > >>> In the Github actions market are already a couple of alternatives to
> > >>> perform this setup [3] but are non-verified third parties actions.
> > >>>
> > >>> Currently, in the Github actions market are cero verified Maven
> related
> > >>> actions [5] but there are already a couple really useful maven
> related
> > >>> actions beyond just the version settings [6]
> > >>>
> > >>> Since early 2021, Apache related projects allows only verified
> actions
> > to
> > >>> be used in workflows.
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> The opportunity:
> > >>> Base on the interaction with the Actions team [2] it seems Actions
> > >>> verification can be done if the actions are created as part of the
> > >> official
> > >>> projects. For example Ruby setup action [4].
> > >>>
> > >>> Before brainstorming in solution, creating a JIRA or a PR with draft
> > >>> implementation, I would like to know if there is any interest within
> > the
> > >>> Maven community to offer to users certified Maven Github actions?
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> [1]
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>
> >
> https://docs.github.com/en/actions/guides/building-and-testing-java-with-maven
> > >>> [2]
> > >>
> https://github.com/actions/setup-java/issues/40#issuecomment-778028611
> > >>> [3] https://github.com/stCarolas/setup-maven
> > >>> [4] https://github.com/ruby/setup-ruby
> > >>> [5]
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>
> >
> https://github.com/marketplace?query=maven&type=actions&verification=verified
> > >>> [6] https://github.com/marketplace?after=Y3Vyc29yOjIw&query=maven
> > >>> --
> > >>> Atentamente:
> > >>> César Hernández.
> > >>>
> > >>
> >
>
>
> --
> Atentamente:
> César Hernández.
>