Re: New link pattern when <detectLink> option is set to true

Re: New link pattern when <detectLink> option is set to true

Max Zhu
For what's worth I am talking about maven-javadoc-plugin (just realized
this is the main maven mail group)

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 6:51 PM Max Zhu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> Wondering if it makes sense to extend <detectLink> option to javadoc.io.
>
> For example, google gson (https://github.com/google/gson) has pointed
> their javadoc to https://www.javadoc.io/doc/com.google.code.gson/gson on
> their README.md. But currently, maven-javadoc-plugin will only try to fetch
> https://github.com/google/gson/apidoc/package-list , which apparently is
> an invalid address.
>
> I am aware there is already on option to extend <links> tag, but that's
> quite tedious as everytime we have to manually keep things in sync when we
> add / remove dependencies or change versions.
>
> There are quite a few popular libraries hosting javadoc with javadoc.io
> already (eg, mockito / spark), and the pattern is very simple as well:
> https://www.javadoc.io/doc/[group_id]/[artifact_id]/[version_id]/package-list
>
> Thus, it will be quite helpful if maven-javadoc-plugin can just
> automatically try this url pattern from the dependency list as well.
>
> Declaimer, I started javadoc.io about 5 years ago and now it's getting
> more trendy these days, so I would like to better support this project.
>
> Max
>

> Reference:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-javadoc-plugin/blob/b1c029f26c4dc40b29a0e122e5c42b294845acfd/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/javadoc/AbstractJavadocMojo.java#L6526

Re: New link pattern when <detectLink> option is set to true

Max Zhu
hi,

Any update on this please? Is this mail group actively monitored? or should
I raise a pull request directly to the project?

Max

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:12 PM Max Zhu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For what's worth I am talking about maven-javadoc-plugin (just realized
> this is the main maven mail group)
>
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 6:51 PM Max Zhu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> Wondering if it makes sense to extend <detectLink> option to javadoc.io.
>>
>> For example, google gson (https://github.com/google/gson) has pointed
>> their javadoc to https://www.javadoc.io/doc/com.google.code.gson/gson on
>> their README.md. But currently, maven-javadoc-plugin will only try to fetch
>> https://github.com/google/gson/apidoc/package-list , which apparently is
>> an invalid address.
>>
>> I am aware there is already on option to extend <links> tag, but that's
>> quite tedious as everytime we have to manually keep things in sync when we
>> add / remove dependencies or change versions.
>>
>> There are quite a few popular libraries hosting javadoc with javadoc.io
>> already (eg, mockito / spark), and the pattern is very simple as well:
>> https://www.javadoc.io/doc/[group_id]/[artifact_id]/[version_id]/package-list
>>
>> Thus, it will be quite helpful if maven-javadoc-plugin can just
>> automatically try this url pattern from the dependency list as well.
>>
>> Declaimer, I started javadoc.io about 5 years ago and now it's getting
>> more trendy these days, so I would like to better support this project.
>>
>> Max
>>

>> Reference:
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-javadoc-plugin/blob/b1c029f26c4dc40b29a0e122e5c42b294845acfd/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/javadoc/AbstractJavadocMojo.java#L6526

Re: New link pattern when <detectLink> option is set to true

Max Zhu
Raised PR with unit test and integration test included:
https://github.com/apache/maven-javadoc-plugin/pull/34

This is my first PR for any of the maven project. Although I made my best
effort to follow all the coding conventions, surely there will be something
missing. So feel free to point out.

Max