Re: Moving hashes (checksums) forward

Maarten Mulders
Hi,

It's great to see support for more secure hashing algorithms coming.

At the risk of suggesting something that is already there, or is just
not feasible... Wouldn't it be possible to have a smoother transition by
allowing multiple hashes at the same time?

When resolving, if there is a SHA-2 hash we use that for validation.
Otherwise, we use SHA-1 or MD5. We might log a warning about the fact
that a deprecated hashing algorithm is used. That way, repo managers
wouldn't necessarily need to re-hash all their content. On the other
hand, it might slow down the adoption of SHA-2 for content hashing.

Just an idea...

Thanks,

Maarten

On May 31, 2020, at 17:19, Robert Scholte wrote:

> hi,
>
> I would be great if Sonatype could lead this request.
> It seems like a similar process compared to the TLSv1.2 requirement and
> the drop of http
> They have the best overview in how to handle the switch to different
> hashes.
> You can already start with #1, but until then I would be careful with
>
> thanks,
> Robert
>
> On 31-5-2020 16:58:58, Michael Osipov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have been recently (indirectly) approached by Mark Thomas for the
> Tomcat committers that he wants to provide SHA-2 hashes for all
> uploaded
> Tomcat artifacts in Central. Since Nexus 2.14.18 supports this properly
> for validation, I have picked up MRESOLVER-56 and asked for testing.
>
> I'd like also to discuss two proposals for the Maven community:
> 1. Introduce SHA-2 support in Maven Resolver 1.4.3 which will go into
> Maven 3.7.0
> 2. Deprecate MD5 and SHA-1 with that release and make them obsolete
> with
> Maven 4.0 and Maven Resolver 2.0 which will include package change
> also.
>
> Those proposals have the following greater implications:
> 1.
> * Certain repo managers might reject hashes, they don't know. As did
> Nexus on repository.a.o.
> * This will incur two more requests with each upload and download. In
> the latter, it will fail with 404 because most repo managers won't have
> SHA-2 hashes. So fails Central for now. (will be solved with 2.)
>
> 2.
> * All repo managers will need to
> ** rehash all current content to provide SHA-2 hashes
> ** Require SHA-2 hashes to be uploaded
> ** Reject MD5 and SHA-1 hashes
> * Old tools will fail because MD5 and SHA-1 hashes are gone:
> ** Uploads will be rejected
> ** Strict download validation will fail
>
> Please comment. I will also provide a draft PR soon.
> I can cast two formal votes if required.
>
> Michael

Re: Moving hashes (checksums) forward

Michael Osipov-2

#2 can't be done w/o careful planning. That's clear.
Who's the right contact at Sonatype? Brian Fox?