Re: Maven release plugin

rfscholte
Hi Peter,

This fix looks good to me, but I would appreciate one integration test to
confirm it and to prevent regression in the future.

thanks,
Robert

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:58:58 +0200, Petar Tahchiev <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm facing a number of challenges when I release the project at my
> company.
> Here's my setup:
>
>                             [BOM]
>                              /    \
>              [PLATFORM]  [DEMO_STORE]
>
> I have a master BOM project which holds all the version as defined
> properties. This BOM is the parent to two other projects - [PLATFORM] and
> [DEMO_STORE], The [PLATFORM] is a project with more than 60 modules
> inside,
> and the [DEMO_STORE] is a project that declares those modules as
> dependencies.
>
> Now what I want is to release all three from Jenkins. I can release the
> [BOM] with no problems, then I start release of the [PLATFORM] and all
> of a
> sudden Jenkins blocks because Maven asks me on the command line if I want
> to resolve the SNAPSHOT dependencies (remember the parent of the
> [PLATFORM]
> is the [BOM] SNAPSHOT version).
>
> So I created this issue
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-985
> to be able to specify the [BOM] parent version when I start the release
> of
> [PLATFORM]. I think I also fixed it with this pull-request:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-release/pull/18
>
> Can someone have a look at this pull request and tell me if it is OK?

Re: Maven release plugin

Paul Hammant
Easy to fix.  Have a profile 'platformOnly' in the root module (I'm not
sure if 'BOM' should mean anything to me) that includes only 'platform' as
a child module.

   mvn release:prepare -PplatformOnly # etc

Later when you're ready to do the demo store release, use another (from
root):

   mvn release:prepare -PdemoOnly # etc

Of course, you man not need to stuff demo in your Artifactory/Nexus/etc in
which case just do your deploy fu after an 'install' w/o the release plugin
involved or that second profile.

- Paul

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Petar Tahchiev <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm facing a number of challenges when I release the project at my company.
> Here's my setup:
>
>                             [BOM]
>                              /    \
>              [PLATFORM]  [DEMO_STORE]
>
> I have a master BOM project which holds all the version as defined
> properties. This BOM is the parent to two other projects - [PLATFORM] and
> [DEMO_STORE], The [PLATFORM] is a project with more than 60 modules inside,
> and the [DEMO_STORE] is a project that declares those modules as
> dependencies.
>
> Now what I want is to release all three from Jenkins. I can release the
> [BOM] with no problems, then I start release of the [PLATFORM] and all of a
> sudden Jenkins blocks because Maven asks me on the command line if I want
> to resolve the SNAPSHOT dependencies (remember the parent of the [PLATFORM]
> is the [BOM] SNAPSHOT version).
>
> So I created this issue https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-985
> to be able to specify the [BOM] parent version when I start the release of
> [PLATFORM]. I think I also fixed it with this pull-request:
> https://github.com/apache/maven-release/pull/18
>
> Can someone have a look at this pull request and tell me if it is OK?
>
> --
> Regards, Petar!
> Karlovo, Bulgaria.
> ---
> Public PGP Key at:
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x19658550C3110611
> Key Fingerprint: A369 A7EE 61BC 93A3 CDFF  55A5 1965 8550 C311 0611

Re: Maven release plugin

rfscholte
What we're still missing is a release-aggregator, which can release
multiple release-roots at once. That would probably be the preferred fix,
the suggested patch is just an easy work-around.
It is still on my todo-list.

Robert

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 12:42:22 +0200, Paul Hammant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Easy to fix.  Have a profile 'platformOnly' in the root module (I'm not
> sure if 'BOM' should mean anything to me) that includes only 'platform'
> as
> a child module.
>
>    mvn release:prepare -PplatformOnly # etc
>
> Later when you're ready to do the demo store release, use another (from
> root):
>
>    mvn release:prepare -PdemoOnly # etc
>
> Of course, you man not need to stuff demo in your Artifactory/Nexus/etc
> in
> which case just do your deploy fu after an 'install' w/o the release
> plugin
> involved or that second profile.
>
> - Paul
>

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 2:58 AM, Petar Tahchiev <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I'm facing a number of challenges when I release the project at my
>> company.
>> Here's my setup:
>>
>>                             [BOM]
>>                              /    \
>>              [PLATFORM]  [DEMO_STORE]
>>
>> I have a master BOM project which holds all the version as defined
>> properties. This BOM is the parent to two other projects - [PLATFORM]
>> and
>> [DEMO_STORE], The [PLATFORM] is a project with more than 60 modules
>> inside,
>> and the [DEMO_STORE] is a project that declares those modules as
>> dependencies.
>>
>> Now what I want is to release all three from Jenkins. I can release the
>> [BOM] with no problems, then I start release of the [PLATFORM] and all
>> of a
>> sudden Jenkins blocks because Maven asks me on the command line if I
>> want
>> to resolve the SNAPSHOT dependencies (remember the parent of the
>> [PLATFORM]
>> is the [BOM] SNAPSHOT version).
>>
>> So I created this issue
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRELEASE-985
>> to be able to specify the [BOM] parent version when I start the release
>> of
>> [PLATFORM]. I think I also fixed it with this pull-request:
>> https://github.com/apache/maven-release/pull/18
>>
>> Can someone have a look at this pull request and tell me if it is OK?
>>
>> --
>> Regards, Petar!
>> Karlovo, Bulgaria.
>> ---
>> Public PGP Key at:
>> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x19658550C3110611
>> Key Fingerprint: A369 A7EE 61BC 93A3 CDFF  55A5 1965 8550 C311 0611

Re: Maven release plugin

Paul Hammant
Yup. I don't think I understand the problem, and shouldn't comment.