Re: Maven intern projects

Elliotte Rusty Harold
On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to be clear: Multirelease jars is a JDK 9+ feature. With Maven it is possible to make them, to test them and to run them. But they are pretty hard to maintain.
> So I would prefer NOT to try make Multirelease Jars of our libraries, unless there's a very good reason.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Have we documented anywhere how to
make multirelease jars with Maven? My impression from googling was
that this doesn't work yet, but I guess that's not true?

What improvements could we make to improve the workflow for multimodule builds?

> If there is one thing that should be solved, but requires a lot of time, it is support of ServicesLoaders
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6275

Thanks. I'll look at that.

I did a review pass through the issue tracker. So far these are the
ones I've found that look like they might make parts of plausible
intern level projects:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MDEP-644?jql=labels%20%3D%20intern

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold

RE: Maven intern projects

jpyeron

JEP 238 does not require any specific source folder organization. Please do not step on
the contents of the /java/ folder. You can accomplish the same with /java/ | /java.9/ | /java.11/ .

Doing so will break many, many assumptions those have made in many, many existing packages.

In fact, for those already having large multi release source trees, having POM properties to
specify the java version source folders would be handy.

> then perform
>
> mvn clean package
>
> to get a multi-release jar -- without *any* special switches, config, or POM.xml tweaking,
> and *all* maven-*-plugins will perform the necessary steps on their own (e. g. compiler
> runs multiple times as the compiler plugins knows this is needed when it sees
> /java/number/ folders).

I concur, strongly, otherwise.

> -Markus

-Jason