Re: Maven Surefire and JUnit 5

Benedikt Ritter
Hello Tibor

> Am 06.10.2017 um 01:18 schrieb Tibor Digana <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi Benedikt,
>
> Would you agree with this plan.
> Since we try to release version 2.21.0 with Jigsaw modularity which is Java 9 related feature, we can make the same compromise with JUnit5 in next version 2.22.0. Altough Surifire is compiled with javac -source 1.6 -target 1.6, and JUnit 5/Java 1.8 provider is standalone jar file which does not force the plugin itself to load Java 8 classes from the provider, we can freely work on JUnit 5 provider after the version 2.21.0.Jigsaw has been released. I guess I will start the release Vote next week and then we can pickup your commits from the branch junit5, squash them into one single commit and rebase on the top of future master/HEAD.
> I believe you want to merge some more fixes from JUnit team afterwards and maybe to add some more tests.
>
> What do you think, would it be possible for you?

This would be so great! I’m currently really blocked by the fact, that I can’t run the surefire build without errors. If you could help fix this, maybe by rebasing everything, this would be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Regards,
Benedikt

> Cheers
> Tibor
>
> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Enrico Olivelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry
> I wanted to reply to another message from Benedikt
> Enrico
>
> Il dom 1 ott 2017, 16:17 Karl Heinz Marbaise <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> > Hi Enrico,
> >
> > On 01/10/17 16:00, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> > > Benedikt,
> > > did you try to update all of your maven plugins to latest version?
> > > Can you share some stacktrace? This will give a first hint without having
> > > to build jUDDI
> >
> > This is the wrong mailing list...Users list was the subject about jUDDI
> > ;-)..
> >
> > Not related to Surefire and JUnit 5 ...
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Karl Heinz Marbaise
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Enrico

> > Maven

> > tests
> > branch,

> --
>

> -- Enrico Olivelli
>

> --
> Cheers
> Tibor

Re: Maven Surefire and JUnit 5

Tibor Digana
Hi Benedikt,

I am fine now after my illness, thx.
I am finishing branch SUREFIRE-1262_2. Just to add few more tests and then
I will cut a release. I want to add a fix for SUREFIRE-1374 which would be
fast to do.
Then I am ready for you and JUnit5.

I have questions regarding our JUnit 5 Surefire Provider implemented in
Surefire.

Is it implemented exactly in the same like the origin by junit5 team?
I am asking because I saw the implementation made by junit5 team and it is
not like our *JUnitCoreProvider*. This means that they do not map method
<-> Thread in *RunListener *and thus the provider would not associate test
report logs and Thread properly and logs will be mixed.

Next question is regarding the feature re-run. It also exists in
*JUnitCoreProvider
*and *JUnit4Provider*. Does it exist in our provider too.
Also we need to have a feature where JUnit execution is stopped which can
be configured by *skipAfterFailureCount *in POM. We have implementation in
Surefire provider:

notifier.asFailFast( isFailFast() );

Regarding logger in forked provider, which has to do with parallel exec, I
think the logs go to the dump file instead of reports file, because STDOUT
is not wrapped in JUnit5's implementation and this should be called:

startCapture( listener )

See my questions in https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/commit/
5258a22301977a7d1ee7276cdd81af7641f4f5ac

Do we have integration tests for these features?

Cheers
Tibor