Re: Maven Docker Images

rfscholte
Isn't this actually the same case as sdkman[1]?
Just wondering if we need to think about a general solution instead of
pulling everything into our project when possible.

thanks,
Robert

[1] http://markmail.org/message/oofvszmf56tbr7et

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 19:30:57 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> great idea
>
> ok, we need a git repo at ASF
>
> what else?
> Is there some sort of release process? some sort of source to release?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le jeudi 19 octobre 2017, 13:47:45 CEST Mike Drob a écrit :
>> Thanks for the pointer, Carlos! I had searched the archives, but maybe I
>> didn't go back far enough.
>>
>> I think moving these Dockerfiles into an ASF repo would be great for
>> their
>> maintainability.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On 2017-10-19 03:50, Carlos Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Arnaud is correct, I sent an email to users@ back on Fri, Nov 7,
>> 2014,>
>> > 00:23 when I created the image>

>> (Carlos)
>>
>> but>

>> nowadays.>

>> release>

>> community>

>> alternatively>

>> and>

>> URL.>

>> considered to
>>
>> be>

Re: Maven Docker Images

Hervé BOUTEMY
Le samedi 21 octobre 2017, 08:16:35 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :

> On Sat 21 Oct 2017 at 08:45, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ok, let's switch directly to the Docker case
> >
> > I'm not a Docker expert, then I'm discovering things that my be obvious to
> > others
> >
> > IIUC Docker has an "officiel images" project [1] where Carlos provided a
> > Maven
> > image [2]: then this image is known as "the official Maven Docker image"
> > Carlos is an individual, he's also a PMC member of Maven
> >
> > what do we want to say: the PMC member has provided an official Docker
> > image or
> > an individual has provided an official Docker image?
> >
> > depending on the answer, some way of doing has to be changed (Git location
> > or
> > naming of the official image)
>
> I’m in favour of creating a repo for the dockerfile, license.txt, read me,
> notices, etc
ok, here I follow

> and follow the standard release vote lifecycle for that
> dockerfile.
here, I'm not sure this really has a meaning in these official Docker images
cases: IIUC, on a new Maven core release that we want to promote, there are 2
actions that are required:
1. modify the MAVEN_VERSION and SHA values in */Dockerfile in the git repo [1]
2. have a PR merged to Docker official-images to update the sha1 in official-
images/library/maven [2]

Between the 2 steps, we can choose to vote, or not to vote, I don't know
what's the best: we already voted for the Maven release that gets the new
recommended version.
What is important to me is that anybody from the PMC can do the PR to Docker
official-images (if we decide that we maintain the official image, not only
Carlos): there is not specific credentials

One thing I see is that we can automate a check that the current official-image
is our currently recommended Maven version: it's just about adding a new check
to dist-tool-plugin that will be checked every day by Jenkins job [3]

[1] https://github.com/carlossg/docker-maven

[2] https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/blob/master/library/maven

[3] https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/

> If we want that dockerfile in Maven-core repo, i’m Fine with that too
given the content, a separate repo more reasonable

> Now the other question is how to get the image from that dockerfile into
> docker...
IIUC, that's the second point I wrote: we don't really put the image but
update a commit reference to our Dockerfiles

> I’m happy for Carlos to continue doing in a personal capacity...
+1
I'd be happy to just have this as an official PMC asset, with Carlos as our
expert who wrote the subtle bunch of images, since IIUC, it's not really one
image but a collection that one can choose from

> So i’d be
>
> “The dockerfile has been released by the Maven project and a member of the
> PMC has uploaded the image”
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/docker-library/official-images
> >
> > [2]
> > https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/blob/master/library/mave
> >
> > Le samedi 21 octobre 2017, 06:58:50 CEST Manfred Moser a écrit :
> > > From my perspective it is just like sdkman including the conclusion. We
> >
> > have
> >
> > > other tasks at our hands, maintaining a docker images is not something
> > > we
> > > should bother with. However needs one can easily create one and there
> >
> > will
> >
> > > be thousands of variations different users want.
> > >
> > > Let them create it on their own.
> > >
> > > Manfred

> > but

> > not

> > case

> > [hidden email]>

> > release?

> > maybe

> > for

> > is

> > this.>

> > our

> > apache

> > [hidden email]>

> > [hidden email]>

> > --
>
> Sent from my phone

Re: Maven Docker Images

Carlos Sanchez
BTW there are possibly more than one image build for each maven version.
For a variety of reasons, like security issues in OS or to upgrade JDK or
because docker rebuilds it, so it is not feasible to vote each of them.