Re: Maven Docker Images

bindul
Maxim,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Maxim Solodovnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> here is the place for Apache docker images managed by infra and Apache
> projects https://bintray.com/apache/ :)

From what I have seen, while there are 4 projects with docker
repositories on bintray, there seem to be a lot more at dockerhub [1].
I did a quick search on INFRA JIRA and found that infra has set a few
projects up on dockerhub recently [2], for example INFRA-14756 [3] for
bookkeeper.

Bindul

[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=component%20%3D%20Docker%20AND%20project%20%3D%20INFRA

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 12:30 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > great idea
> >
> > ok, we need a git repo at ASF
> >
> > what else?
> > Is there some sort of release process? some sort of source to release?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé
> >
> > Le jeudi 19 octobre 2017, 13:47:45 CEST Mike Drob a écrit :
> > > Thanks for the pointer, Carlos! I had searched the archives, but maybe I
> > > didn't go back far enough.
> > >
> > > I think moving these Dockerfiles into an ASF repo would be great for
> > their
> > > maintainability.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike

> > 2014,>

> > (Carlos)
> > >
> > > but>

> > > nowadays.>

> > > release>

> > > community>

> > > alternatively>

> > > and>

> > URL.>

> > considered to
> > >
> > > be>

> WBR
> Maxim aka solomax

Re: Maven Docker Images

Manfred Moser-4
From my perspective it is just like sdkman including the conclusion. We have other tasks at our hands, maintaining a docker images is not something we should bother with. However needs one can easily create one and there will be thousands of variations different users want.

Let them create it on their own.

Manfred

Hervé BOUTEMY wrote on 2017-10-20 18:46:

> true, from a general perspective, it's like sdkman
>
> we need to discuss then decide if we want to maintain Maven Docker integration
> (contrary to our current decision to not maintain Maven sdkman integration but
> let sdkman community do it)
>
> can we think about a general solution? perhaps not really a solution, but a
> decision process, yes
>
> to me, on each tool integration, there are key decision drivers:
> - importance of the tool on the market
> - interest of Maven devs to actually do integration maintenance
> - complexity of integration, technical prerequisites (with IDEs, for example,
> a dedicated independant project like m2e is necessary)
> - time factor: things evolve over time (e.g. 2 years ago, Docker was not what
> it is nowadays)
>
> any other key driver to document?
>
> once done, we'll discuss more precisely about the Docker integration case
>
> and probably finish with a vote :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le vendredi 20 octobre 2017, 11:30:49 CEST Robert Scholte a écrit :
>> Isn't this actually the same case as sdkman[1]?
>> Just wondering if we need to think about a general solution instead of
>> pulling everything into our project when possible.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Robert
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/oofvszmf56tbr7et
>>
>> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 19:30:57 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > great idea
>> >
>> > ok, we need a git repo at ASF
>> >
>> > what else?
>> > Is there some sort of release process? some sort of source to release?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Hervé

Re: Maven Docker Images

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 12:19:46 +0200, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Le samedi 21 octobre 2017, 08:16:35 CEST Stephen Connolly a écrit :
>> On Sat 21 Oct 2017 at 08:45, Hervé BOUTEMY <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > ok, let's switch directly to the Docker case
>> >
>> > I'm not a Docker expert, then I'm discovering things that my be
>> obvious to
>> > others
>> >
>> > IIUC Docker has an "officiel images" project [1] where Carlos
>> provided a
>> > Maven
>> > image [2]: then this image is known as "the official Maven Docker
>> image"
>> > Carlos is an individual, he's also a PMC member of Maven
>> >
>> > what do we want to say: the PMC member has provided an official Docker
>> > image or
>> > an individual has provided an official Docker image?
>> >
>> > depending on the answer, some way of doing has to be changed (Git
>> location
>> > or
>> > naming of the official image)
>>
>> I’m in favour of creating a repo for the dockerfile, license.txt, read
>> me,
>> notices, etc
> ok, here I follow
>
>> and follow the standard release vote lifecycle for that
>> dockerfile.
> here, I'm not sure this really has a meaning in these official Docker
> images
> cases: IIUC, on a new Maven core release that we want to promote, there
> are 2
> actions that are required:
> 1. modify the MAVEN_VERSION and SHA values in */Dockerfile in the git
> repo [1]
> 2. have a PR merged to Docker official-images to update the sha1 in
> official-
> images/library/maven [2]
>
> Between the 2 steps, we can choose to vote, or not to vote, I don't know
> what's the best: we already voted for the Maven release that gets the new
> recommended version.
> What is important to me is that anybody from the PMC can do the PR to
> Docker
> official-images (if we decide that we maintain the official image, not
> only
> Carlos): there is not specific credentials
>
> One thing I see is that we can automate a check that the current
> official-image
> is our currently recommended Maven version: it's just about adding a new
> check
> to dist-tool-plugin that will be checked every day by Jenkins job [3]

Without talking in solutions, we have this general question: Are we
informing others by their format or are we offering some generic message
for others to make them aware there's a new version.

This disttool solution sounds like the first one (we trigger Carlos in
some way so he can make a new image), which is exactly what SDKMan asked
us to do.

IMHO whatever we do for Docker, we should do the same for SDKMan and offer
that solution for other interested parties.

Robert

> [1] https://github.com/carlossg/docker-maven
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/blob/master/library/maven
>
> [3]
> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/
>

>> If we want that dockerfile in Maven-core repo, i’m Fine with that too
> given the content, a separate repo more reasonable
>

>> Now the other question is how to get the image from that dockerfile into
>> docker...
> IIUC, that's the second point I wrote: we don't really put the image but
> update a commit reference to our Dockerfiles
>

>> I’m happy for Carlos to continue doing in a personal capacity...
> +1
> I'd be happy to just have this as an official PMC asset, with Carlos as
> our
> expert who wrote the subtle bunch of images, since IIUC, it's not really
> one
> image but a collection that one can choose from
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>

>> So i’d be
>>
>> “The dockerfile has been released by the Maven project and a member of
> [...]

Re: Maven Docker Images

michaelo
Am 2017-10-22 um 04:24 schrieb Manfred Moser:

> Following up on that remark and my earlier remark that we should NOT make this official .. here are my remarks:
>
> - so far the only binaries we assemble and call official are the tar.gz and zip archives (and even that is a gray line since official there are only sources from Apache)
> - we do NOT support (by calling them official) any other binaries such as
>    - linux distro versions
>    - osx package versions (brews, ports)
>    - windows packages
>    - sdkman
>    - and many others
> - the complexity of the docker images is greater than any of the above since it includes those factors..
>
> Here are a few issues why I would object to this being the official images
>
> - only openjdk and ibm java, no oracle java, no others such as Zulu or whatever
> - limited os selection (only alpine and debian and windows from what I can tell), no centos, no ubuntu
> - binaries are download from a mirror rather than the actual apache servers (alternatively maybe could use Central)
>
> These above factors imho show that there is a selection that has been made and I do not think we as the Apache Maven project should make this selection.
>
> As such I would suggest to keep it as is.
>
> An open source project from an individual that provides Maven binaries on Docker images. Just happens to be the case that the same person is also a Maven PMC (great btw!).
>
> If we make this part of the officially supplied binaries we could also think about
>
> - making binaries for various Linux distros in the first place (then we wouldnt even need docker images since it could be a one line to install an official Maven distro on them)
> - supplying binaries to SDKMan, ports, brew, chocolatey and so on
> - pull all mojohaus plugins into Apache (they are mostly the same committers..)
> - pull other Maven projects in as desired
>
> You see where this leads... a LOT of work. In my opinion as the Apache Maven project we should focus on just that. Maven itself, our current plugins and related projects. We all know thats already more work than we can reasonably shoulder.. I see no reason to add more.

Perfect, you read my mind.
+2