Re: Maven Core / MNG-6362 README.md / CONTRIBUTION.md

Re: Maven Core / MNG-6362 README.md / CONTRIBUTION.md

Hervé BOUTEMY
I like it!

a few questions:
1. why a full "Contributing" section in README.md and a separate
CONTRIBUTING.md? would a link from the first to the second suffice? (to avoid
maintenance)

2. how can we test .github/pull_request_template? The idea seems interesting

Then puting this enhancement in every Git repo will be a big improvement!

Le lundi 19 février 2018, 19:59:26 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I would like to integrate the issue MNG-6362 which contains only
> enhancements for the README.md, CONTRIBUTION.md and a
> pull_request_template.md (No code changes)..
>
> It's intended to improve the experience for GitHub users..
>
> You can take a look how it currently looks like via the following links:
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6362/.github/pull_request_template.
> md https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6362/CONTRIBUTING.md
> https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/MNG-6362
>

> If you have suggestions for enhancements/fixes etc.
>
> Please come up with it....
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Core / MNG-6362 README.md / CONTRIBUTION.md

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Hervé,

On 20/02/18 08:16, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> I like it!
>
> a few questions:
> 1. why a full "Contributing" section in README.md and a separate
> CONTRIBUTING.md? would a link from the first to the second suffice? (to avoid
> maintenance)

Good hint...Thanks..Of course...(improved hope so ;-))..

> 2. how can we test .github/pull_request_template? The idea seems interesting

The point to test is hard ? I think I we need to create a separate git
project...but wait a moment what about our maven-studies could be used
for that...this brought me to the right direction...thanks...

> Then puting this enhancement in every Git repo will be a big improvement!

That's what I have in mind...started experimenting a little bit on
maven-enforcer branch: BADGES ...

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le lundi 19 février 2018, 19:59:26 CET Karl Heinz Marbaise a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to integrate the issue MNG-6362 which contains only
>> enhancements for the README.md, CONTRIBUTION.md and a
>> pull_request_template.md (No code changes)..
>>
>> It's intended to improve the experience for GitHub users..
>>
>> You can take a look how it currently looks like via the following links:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6362/.github/pull_request_template.
>> md https://github.com/apache/maven/blob/MNG-6362/CONTRIBUTING.md
>> https://github.com/apache/maven/tree/MNG-6362
>>

>> If you have suggestions for enhancements/fixes etc.
>>
>> Please come up with it....
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Core / MNG-6362 README.md / CONTRIBUTION.md

IMHO every guideline should have a small explanation (and maybe less
aggressive)
A suggestion:

No tabs! Please use spaces for indentation.

The Maven Codestyle uses spaces instead of spaces. This way column numbers
don't depend on the IDE settings and will be the same for everyone.

Respect the [code style][code-style].

By using the same codestyle, patches should only highlight the actual
difference, not being disturbed by any formatting issues.

thanks,
Robert

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:59:26 +0100, Karl Heinz Marbaise