Re: Maven Contributors

Robert Scholte-8
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 20:50:28 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 29/07/18 19:53, Robert Scholte wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>  thanks to JCrete I've been able to spread the word about the
>> Maven-situation (#users versus #committers and their time).
>
> Great idea...have you had slides or just spoken about it...? (I assume
> so?)

There are no slides. I hosted a session about contribution to open source
projects / Maven.
Here we came up with the idea to use the Friday morning to guide everybody
to the whole process with a real example.
I had no time to find enough different "easy" issues, so I gave everybody
the same, just to understand the process.

>> This resulted in a couple of sessions trying to fix several open issues
>> for shared-utils + JXR  which should be easy to fix and which should
>> make everybody better understand the open source contribution process.
>
> for shared-utils had been several PR's..which are already in
> master...than this might be based on your trigger...great...

Yes, Kat was very pleased.

> for JXR there had been also PR's...which are done...great too...

Perfect!

>>  One of the suggestions they had was a list of (probably) easy-to-fix
>> issues,
>> either labeled in Jira or some top X on some page.
>
>  >
> Or we need to rate
>> every (new) issue between easy and hard. This will require some extra
>> time to set up, but should pay itself back in the end and might lead to
>> new committers.
>
> I think we should make both of them...
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

Re: Maven Contributors

Karl Heinz Marbaise-3
Hi Robert,

On 29/07/18 21:02, Robert Scholte wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 20:50:28 +0200, Karl Heinz Marbaise
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On 29/07/18 19:53, Robert Scholte wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>  thanks to JCrete I've been able to spread the word about the
>>> Maven-situation (#users versus #committers and their time).
>>
>> Great idea...have you had slides or just spoken about it...? (I assume
>> so?)
>
> There are no slides. I hosted a session about contribution to open
> source projects / Maven.

Great Idea...

> Here we came up with the idea to use the Friday morning to guide
> everybody to the whole process with a real example.

real examples are always the best..

> I had no time to find enough different "easy" issues, so I gave
> everybody the same, just to understand the process.

No problem...that's ok...I just misunderstood that fixes for the same
JIRA's comming from different people...

You could have wrote an email on dev list to warn a little
bit...;-)..but on the other hand this is real life...

>>> This resulted in a couple of sessions trying to fix several open
>>> issues for shared-utils + JXR  which should be easy to fix and which
>>> should make everybody better understand the open source contribution
>>> process.
>>
>> for shared-utils had been several PR's..which are already in
>> master...than this might be based on your trigger...great...
>
> Yes, Kat was very pleased.
>

>> for JXR there had been also PR's...which are done...great too...
>
> Perfect!
>

>>>  One of the suggestions they had was a list of (probably) easy-to-fix
>>> issues,
>>> either labeled in Jira or some top X on some page.
>>
>>  >
>> Or we need to rate
>>> every (new) issue between easy and hard. This will require some extra
>>> time to set up, but should pay itself back in the end and might lead
>>> to new committers.
>>
>> I think we should make both of them...
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Karl Heinz Marbaise