Re: Maven Assembly Plugin & no-op recreation

Re: Maven Assembly Plugin & no-op recreation

Elliotte Rusty Harold
Assuming it produces the same binaries (and that's sort of the point
of this, right?) IMHO it should not be optional. Every option is an
additional thing to document and test, and in this case, for no
particular user benefit. If you can make the code noticeably faster
while producing the same output, do so. Don't give the user an option
to choose the slow road or the fast road.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 6:20 PM Robert Oxspring <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m working on a multi module project where should-be no-op “mvn install -DskipTests” takes multiple minutes and "assembly:single" appears to be among the offenders - needlessly recreating archives when none of the inputs have been modified. I’m considering modifying the plugin to avoid this recreation, leading to the following questions…
>
> Would such a change be welcome? Is it important that the modified behaviour is optional and not default? I figure the next step would be to start hacking out a poc, but if you need me to raise a Jira issue or something then please let me know.
>
> Should I be targeting my change at the assembly plugin or would it make more sense to try and get this deeper into plexus-archiver? Do you have any further advice where best to start??
>
> Are there reasons why this hasn’t been done before? - e.g. folks have died on this hill and I should give up now.
>
> What other questions should I be asking!?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

Elliotte Rusty Harold