Re: Maven 4: -pl !... is not recursive

Romain Manni-Bucau
Agree it should be alignde, just wonder how you handle '-N' equivalent if
-pl is recursive (so until there is a solution I'm tempting to think not
being recursive can be saner + at least it is backward compatible to v3
which is also important). If we want a recursive -pl we should probably add
a -plr or so IMHO.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Le sam. 20 févr. 2021 à 09:14, Markus KARG <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> I second that. It is counterintuitive. It would be beneficial if -pl !X
> would also exclude ist submodules.
> -Markus

AW: Maven 4: -pl !... is not recursive

Markus KARG-3
Yes it might be the better solution to keep it backwards compatible and do recursive -plr X / -plr !X as a new option.

écrit :

> I second that. It is counterintuitive. It would be beneficial if -pl !X
> would also exclude ist submodules.
> -Markus

martinkanters
Hey,

I've created the PR to make the exclude project functionality equal to the
include project functionality.
Please find it on GitHub [1].

Martin

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven/pull/448

Op za 20 feb. 2021 om 11:14 schreef Martin Kanters <[hidden email]
>:

> Hey,
>
> I agree this is unwanted behaviour, we should definitely align
> project inclusion and exclusion.
> In MNG-6981 [1] I made inclusion recursive. Please find the discussion in
> the JIRA comments.
> In summary, you can get the old behavior back using -f and -N.
>
> I've created MNG-7102 [2] to resolve this and will pick it up directly as
> I have also picked up MNG-6981.
> The only thing is that the workaround with -f and -N will not work in the
> exclusion case.
> I don't think it should be needed to be able to only exclude a parent pom,
> but perhaps I'm missing something.
> Next to that, I think we should be careful with adding new flags just to
> make sure we are backwards compatible, as it might unnecessarily complicate
> the codebase and user experience if it is not used in the end.
>
> Thanks for the bug report, Falko!
>
> Martin
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6981
> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7102
>
> Op za 20 feb. 2021 om 10:04 schreef Markus KARG <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Yes it might be the better solution to keep it backwards compatible and
>> do recursive -plr X / -plr !X as a new option.

I like the regex idea but wildcard (*) does not work well due to common
shell expansion (or it already works but it is outside of maven scope to be
concrete).

My 2cts would be that, to be honest, I think we all lead to have aliases in
maven for potentially very long commands (there was some threads about it),
CLI then just needs to enable to activate/deactivate things, not to be
clever and it would enable all combination without any behavior change nor
new option IMHO. Concretely "mvn alias:bd" would run "mvn -pl foo/bar -pl
foo/dummy" for example. Thinking out loud it can be done with a plugin
already so can maybe give a try if it sounds like a good idea for others
too.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Le sam. 20 févr. 2021 à 14:40, Falko Modler <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Thanks for the quick reaction/answers!
>
> TBH, I haven't fully understood why -N cannot be used here. I do
> understand that -N reduces the reactor to one project (before project
> selection via -pl can kick in).
> But what if -N wouldn't be applied if -pl is present? It would then become
> a "secondary" option, only applying to the projects selected or deselected
> via -pl.
>
> However, the most flexible and fully backwards compatiple solution would
> indeed be something like -plr as suggested before. You could then also mix
> and match -pl and -plr.
>
> Btw, half offtopic: I proposed [1] to add ? to -pl and in that context I
> also thought about wildcard support for -pl, but Robert didn't like the
> idea.
> I'm just thinking whether -pl foo/* might be something that could help
> here as well, but it wouldn't be trivial to do, I suppose.
> PS: -help doesn't mention ! at all.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-6511
>
> Cheers,
> Falko

Re: Maven 4: -pl !... is not recursive

Falko Modler
My 2 cents: Please don't drop the recursive behavior again because it is
really useful!

Crazy idea (just brainstorming here):
-pl foo builds only foo
-pl foo+ builds foo and its children, wherever they are exactly

This would also co-exist with the ! and ? prefixes.

PS: Since if often use shell path completion, -pl foo/+ should have the
same effect, ideally.

Cheers,

Falko

Am 21.02.2021 um 21:09 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:

> [...]
> complex to handle when parents or children are in other physical tree or
> even projects.
>

>> 4. (new idea) -pl + --pl-non-recursive:
>> This does not have the flexibility 2 and 3 provides and we would have to
>> introduce a new CLI flag. But it does have a very clear goal which is easy
>> to implement + explain.
>>
> Hmm another global toggle? It will have the same combination issue than -N
> IMHO.
> So overall this sounds like reversing -pl and adding this complementary
> option so 2 sounds the saner equivalent option for backward compat.
>

>> 5. Revert all and restore 3.6.3 functionality.
>> Users could build extensions or plugin functionality to achieve the
>> recursiveness. Not my favorite, because I think this is something Maven
>> Core should be able to provide out of the box.
>>
> "Extension" can be built in too, just mentionned we can solve it
> differently than enriching again the cli since functionally we already
> cover it.
>

>> 6. Make recursiveness the default and do not provide a workaround for
>> non-recursiveness
>> Since we are going to a new major version it's acceptable to break/change
>> existing behavior. We could wait until users complain and then build
>> something in.
>> Not my favorite (anymore) either, since apparently it's a common use-case
>> that we would break.
>>
> Just my 2cts but sounds the worse.
> Even if going major backward compat is key for not internals otherwise we
> do another build tool and break everyone which is always a moment of
> temptation to reject the tool, in particular when trivial to avoid from
> user PoV.
>

>> I understand the thread might've become hard to follow, so I hope this
>> summary helps other people to join the discussion.
>> My current favorite is 4.
>>

> Personally, I'd say investigate alias option and if not satistying then use
> 2.
>

>> Martin
>>
>> Op za 20 feb. 2021 om 17:53 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I like the regex idea but wildcard (*) does not work well due to common
>>> shell expansion (or it already works but it is outside of maven scope to
>> be
>>> concrete).
>>>
>>> My 2cts would be that, to be honest, I think we all lead to have aliases
>> in
>>> maven for potentially very long commands (there was some threads about
>> it),
>>> CLI then just needs to enable to activate/deactivate things, not to be
>>> clever and it would enable all combination without any behavior change
>> nor
>>> new option IMHO. Concretely "mvn alias:bd" would run "mvn -pl foo/bar -pl
>>> foo/dummy" for example. Thinking out loud it can be done with a plugin
>>> already so can maybe give a try if it sounds like a good idea for others

Put some comments inline but agree another minilanguage solution works.
Maybe -pl !!parent?

Le dim. 21 févr. 2021 à 22:08, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> Romain: 2 has overlap if I'm not mistaken, what if the user invokes: mvn
> -pl project-a -plr !project-a. Perhaps the user should be able to only
> select aggregator poms via -plr..
> And I'm not sure how the alias function would work. I assume something
> like:

Yes but same as today with -pl foo -pl!foo. We can fail in such a case too
(my preference). Then more specific wins, ie -plr parent -pl !parent/foo is
obvious.

- pom.xml config (psuedo code): <alias><rec>-pl parent, submodule-a,
> submodule-b, submodule-c</rec></alias>
> - invocation mvn alias:rec.
> If that assumption is correct, the user would have to manually maintain the
> list of modules of "parent", while Maven can do this perfectly.

Right, is it an issue? I dont think. Opposite is true too, you need to
maintain children exclusions in general (all but "build" child module or
all but front or all but doc etc) so 1-1 IMHO.

> [...]

> > > IMHO.
> > > So overall this sounds like reversing -pl and adding this complementary
> > > option so 2 sounds the saner equivalent option for backward compat.

> Maven
> > >>
> > > "Extension" can be built in too, just mentionned we can solve it
> > > differently than enriching again the cli since functionally we already
> > > cover it.

> > break/change
> > use-case
> > >>
> > > Just my 2cts but sounds the worse.
> > > Even if going major backward compat is key for not internals otherwise
> we
> > > do another build tool and break everyone which is always a moment of
> > > temptation to reject the tool, in particular when trivial to avoid from
> > > user PoV.

> > > Personally, I'd say investigate alias option and if not satistying then

rfscholte
This discussion is about aggregators, and not about parent.
Quite often an aggregator is also the parent of its modules, but that is not required.

Calling -pl <aggregator> with Maven3 behaves unnatural: if you want to call a specific aggregator, you want its modules to be built.

Hence I still support the change to make this the default behavior.

In those rare cases where you want to build it only because it is a parent (and not for the aggregator part), it makes sense to add --non-recursive

All the options you had in Maven 3 for selecting a subset of a multimodule project are still available in Maven 4.

To me the new behavior is much better. Maven 4 is the perfect version to introduce these changes.

thanks,
Robert

On 26-2-2021 14:02:29, Romain Manni-Bucau <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still think it is wrong to have such a global toggle + break backward
compatibility (-pl + -N is *already* used for what it is today which is not
the proposal but -pl parent without -N is also already used and works well).
You can also take into consideration that -pl -module -N meaning is
completely broken with this new definition.
For these 3 reasons I think we shouldn't break current API and either add a
new toggle/syntax (>parent or !!parent or whatever forbidden character in
module names/folder fits you) or not do anything since nothing prevents to
build a subtree with -pl as of today, it is just a bit more verbose than a
single module selection.

Romain Manni-Bucau
@rmannibucau | Blog
| Old Blog
| Github |
LinkedIn | Book

Le ven. 26 févr. 2021 à 13:16, Martin Kanters a
écrit :

> [...]
> -pl syntax. So that boils down to "-pl + -N". By default, project selection
> will be recursive and by passing -N to it, it will be switched to
> non-recursive.
>
> While first I was hesitant on this solution, I realize now that this is the
> most user-friendly solution. Technically -N might mean different things
> when used with and without -pl, but functionally it's the same.
>
> Two points of concern were:
> - "it's a global switch, we cannot select a recursive and non-recursive
> project in one maven-command". That's true, but that's currently also not
> possible in 3.6.3 (automatically) and we should find the balance between
> usability and ensuring every possible scenario is possible.
> - "it might cause a performance degradation". This is not true when the
> current behavior of -N will only change when used together with -pl.
>
> We’ll continue work in this direction. Feel free to raise any new concerns
> if they arise.
>
> Martin
>
> Op zo 21 feb. 2021 om 22:29 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau
> [hidden email]>:
>
> > Put some comments inline but agree another minilanguage solution works.
> > Maybe -pl !!parent?
> >
> > Le dim. 21 févr. 2021 à 22:08, Martin Kanters
> > écrit :
> >
> > > Romain: 2 has overlap if I'm not mistaken, what if the user invokes:
> mvn
> > > -pl project-a -plr !project-a. Perhaps the user should be able to only
> > > select aggregator poms via -plr..
> > > And I'm not sure how the alias function would work. I assume something
> > > like:
> > >

> > Yes but same as today with -pl foo -pl!foo. We can fail in such a case
> too
> > (my preference). Then more specific wins, ie -plr parent -pl !parent/foo
> is
> > obvious.
> >

> > - pom.xml config (psuedo code): -pl parent, submodule-a,
> > > submodule-b, submodule-c
> > > - invocation mvn alias:rec.
> > > If that assumption is correct, the user would have to manually maintain
> > the
> > > list of modules of "parent", while Maven can do this perfectly.
> > >

> > Right, is it an issue? I dont think. Opposite is true too, you need to
> > maintain children exclusions in general (all but "build" child module or
> > all but front or all but doc etc) so 1-1 IMHO.
> >

> > > Falko: I don't intend to drop the recursive behavior either :)
> > > I don't dislike the idea of adding a suffix to a project to include
> > > everything recursively and + might fix the shell expansion issue
> (which *
> > > has).
> > > I guess this might be a nice alternative as well, but I'm not sure if
> > > everybody likes increasing the complexity of the -pl syntax. "-pl
> > !?proj/+"
> > > or "-pl !?group:artifact+" is starting to look a bit like magic.. :)

Le ven. 26 févr. 2021 à 14:30, Robert Scholte <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> This discussion is about aggregators, and not about parent.
> Quite often an aggregator is also the parent of its modules, but that is
> not required.

Ack

> Calling -pl <aggregator> with Maven3 behaves unnatural: if you want to
> call a specific aggregator, you want its modules to be built.

I disagree, it looks unatural if you know it is an aggregator but there is
no way to know form maven standpoint, it is a pom which children and with
packaging=pom which does not mean it is an aggregator.
To give a quick example of that: the strict aggregator case will desire to
build children but not the aggregator itself (functionally) whereas all
other cases want the pom itself.

> Hence I still support the change to make this the default behavior.
>
> In those rare cases where you want to build it only because it is a parent
> (and not for the aggregator part), it makes sense to add --non-recursive

It is not rare, it is actually very very common to use it as a prestep on
CI builds and the new behavior break it all.
Since the value of pl is already an expression ([groupId]:artifactId), it
is saner to use it and enrich this semantic to support "project with child"
meaning for end users IMHO.

> All the options you had in Maven 3 for selecting a subset of a multimodule
> project are still available in Maven 4.

Maven 4 is not an opportunity to break existing builds IMHO, it would
deserve maven, it is an opportunity to break internals and build pipeline
for sure.

> [...]
> >
> > > Put some comments inline but agree another minilanguage solution works.
> > > Maybe -pl !!parent?

> > mvn
> only
> something
> > > >

> > > Yes but same as today with -pl foo -pl!foo. We can fail in such a case
> > too
> > > (my preference). Then more specific wins, ie -plr parent -pl
> !parent/foo
> > is
> > > obvious.
> > >

> > > - pom.xml config (psuedo code): -pl parent, submodule-a,
> maintain
> > > the
> > > >

> > > Right, is it an issue? I dont think. Opposite is true too, you need to
> > > maintain children exclusions in general (all but "build" child module
> or
> > > all but front or all but doc etc) so 1-1 IMHO.

Err, let's keep using examples to avoid miscommunication :p If I understand
you correctly, you mean this:

root:
... images:
........ image-a
........ image-b
... assemblies:
........ assembly-a
........ assembly-b

When running from root, you can use:

> mvn <goal> -pl !root,!images,!assemblies -N

This will build image-a, image-b, assembly-a, assembly-b. It skips all
three aggregators.

By the way, -pl !xxx,yyy is still perfectly possible.

Martin

Op ma 22 mrt. 2021 om 15:47 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau <
[hidden email]>:

> Le lun. 22 mars 2021 à 15:03, Martin Kanters <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
>> Hey Romain,
>>
>> Your example will work with -N when MNG-7112 [1] is implemented (which we
>> are working on as we speak).
>> MNG-7112 says: -N together with a project exclusion (via -pl) will make
>> the
>> project exclusion non-recursive. So it will not exclude the children.
>> Following your example,
>>
>> > cd images-parent && mvn myplugin:mygoal -pl '!images-parent' *-N*
>>
>> will work. It will only build the children of images-parent. -N will apply
>> to -pl when -pl is present.
>>
>> That said, -N without -pl will work as it works in 3.6.3: only the pom in
>> the current directory will be built (or the pom specified with -f).
>>
>> I hope this clears it up,
>>

> Not really - but my example was maybe not perfect :s - it works only in
> the case you enter images folder but typically, as almost mentionned ;) -
> this is often used for images + assemblies (2 submodule trees) and it works
> today, if I add -N it will not work anymore and I can't do -pl parent -plN
> '!parent' so I'm still blocked or do you see a way to make current behavior
> working as expected? Or do you mean if I use -pl -xxx I can't use -pl yyy
> anymore (both became exclusive which would be another blocker for me).
>

>> Martin
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MNG-7112
>>
>> Op ma 22 mrt. 2021 om 13:26 schreef Romain Manni-Bucau <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just saw the PR was merged but it is actually still a regression, what's
>> > the plan to keep this kind of build working:
>> >
>> > Structure:
>> >
>> > . root
>> >  |- core
>> >  |- ...
>> >  `- images-parent // can be assemblies too or anything else
>> >         |- image1
>> >         |- ...
>> >         `- imageN

>> > This command has the big advantage to launch a command on all children
>> but
>> > the root pom (where the plugin would fail - note in practise it is a
>> > combination of N plugins in general).
>> >
>> > You mentionned '-N' which does not solve this new bug AFAIK, a profile
>> does
>> > not as well, a skip property or any additional requirement on mojo are
>> > indeed undersired, so what is the plan to get back to something
>> functional?
>> >
>> > Romain Manni-Bucau
>> > @rmannibucau <https://twitter.com/rmannibucau> |  Blog
>> > <https://rmannibucau.metawerx.net/> | Old Blog
>> > <http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com> | Github <
>> > https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
>> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rmannibucau> | Book
>> > <

>> > Le dim. 28 févr. 2021 à 11:57, Romain Manni-Bucau <
> [...]

Alright, there indeed are specific problems that cannot be solved with -pl.
Then again the automatic recursiveness does give benefit that we didn't
have in 3.6.3.
Your problem can be solved using profiles, multiple invocations, exact -pl
module specifications or different directory formats.
I guess there is no silver bullet, at least we did not find one. We have to
continue at some point, though. Personally I've heard more people in favor
of the -N solution than against.
We can always improve later on, if we have found a better solution.